CKMP Show full post »
CKMP
I have learned from Maggs to approach life with gentleness and kindness and humility.  While she was probably in more discomfort some days than I knew, she was always a dog of calmness, dignity and joyfulness. . . Always took life in stride, took her meds twice a day without fuss [most of the time].  She was always compliant when having the pills 'pushed' down her throat and was also a 'master of the fake swallow'!  She would let me push the pills down her throat a ways, then as soon as I turned around, thinking she had swallowed them, and took a couple of steps away, turned back to say "good girl Maggs" I would see two little white pills sitting on the floor and Maggs sitting innocently waiting for her morning yogurt. . .  Needless to say I miss her and her unique character so much!  But I am trying to learn something from her approach to life and honour her time spent with us.  Lots of paw-prints left on and in the heart for sure!
Quote 0 0
CKMP
My girl taught me to try and determine clearly what is important in life.  To be loyal and true to those you love and who love you. . . That it is always better to be kind than to be right.
Thank you Maggs for being in my life!  You are so missed, so adored and so loved each day!
Quote 0 0
camunki
awwww CKMP, i had to smile when i read 2 postings above; 'master of the fake swallow'! and yes, how so many of our pets do not like to take their pills......makes me think of Munki I literally had to give her 18 pills per day!!! (cancer treatment regimins)yowza, but she took them like a lady!!(always mixed in with a yummy food).

I can see how much you miss your Maggs, such a loyal lil' gal.....and yes, that is what is important to her in life........your baby above, still with you!

Cam

Quote 0 0
CKMP
Thank you so much Cam . . .  I too can tell from your posts and words how much you miss your Munki.  And what bravery she had - 18 pills a day! - She had to trust you so much as I don't think there are enough treats and "yummy food" to keep hiding so many each day.  
As for me with Maggs,  your beautiful lady Munki is with you still - and you are so right that talking to them all the time helps so much . . .

That for me is another "paw print" left  - the stoicism and absolute trust - the look in Maggs' big brown eyes when anything for her was not quite right - as she looked up into my face and eyes I could always see that complete and total trust in me to 'make it better' or 'make it right' . . .  from a tiny piece of glass in the paw to the "oops I have had an accident' later on,  she believed in her world, I could 'fix' anything and everything would be ok.  Then she would be off to roll around on the couch or the floor kicking her legs up, rubbing her head and peeking through the ears to make sure I was watching the 'show'!  And of course, any interventions 'endured' by her warranted a treat! And if asked, 'does Maggee want a treat?' met with a resounding bark, "Yes, and one for my sister too!"  - Maggs so adored, so loved and so missed.  
Quote 0 0
Cocosmom3216
What a great idea, starting this post as a place to remember happy and funny times with our beloved pets who we miss so very much.  My Coco crossed the Rainbow Bridge 3-2-16.  I am functioning better but miss her so very much every day, like a piece of me is missing.  I tell her often that she left pawprints all over my heart.  Here is a photo of Coco one night when she thought she was hiding from me, she had her head under the throw pillow and thought Coco thinks she is hiding under a pillow  Dec 2014.jpg                     
no one could see her... just had to take a photo of her.  Another funny time was when I set down a glass of V-8 juice I'd been drinking, turned my back for a split second, and when I turned around she was drinking it right out of my glass.,,another photo opportunity.  (I tried to attach the photo, but apparently the file was too big too attach)
Cindy Azbill
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
CKMP, what a wonderful thread. All too often our focus is on the last few months/weeks, and it takes time until all the previous beautiful memories come back.  We lost our 17 year old dog Jim just over 6 months ago, and I started a journal  - even now I write in it each day, and the memories are still kicking in.  Jim loved to get on my husbands knee, and very gently place his mouth around his arm, all the while watching the TV, then gradually falling asleep.  Funnily enough, he never tried to do this to me - with me he liked to snuggle up close and place his head on my knee.   In hot weather we used to place a large bowl of water on the lawn - how he loved getting in and splashing the water everywhere. When he`d had enough he`d get on the sun lounger and even when we`d put the parasol over him for shade, he would wriggle himself back into the sun!   
 The biggest paw print on my heart though was just the way he`d look at us - complete love and trust in those big soulful eyes.  Such happy times.   Jackie
Scan0009240x320.jpg 
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
CKMP
So so cute Cindy - hidden in plain sight!

Jackie,  what a regal and all knowing face Jim has!  

I am hoping we can help ourselves a bit with these memories and moments and also keep our special ones 'closer' and 'alive' for not just us but for others to share the happiness and smiles they brought into our lives.

Quote 0 0
CKMP
Thinking of a silly antic of Maggs - she and her sister would love to play outside on the front lawn when the weather turned nice.  She would chase her sister until her sister would get so excited and start running circles around and around - Maggs would stop chasing her then, and stand still, just outside the circle she was running and watch her run and run.  Every time her sister passed her, she would bark at Maggs . . .Maggs would watch and when [I think] she thought her sister was tiring she would start the chase again, this time running and grabbing her sister's tail, spinning her around and even sometimes onto her back.  Maggs would hang on to her tail until Kass had had enough and would race up onto the porch huffing and puffing.  Maggs would then, with her very characteristic Maggee saunter, walk over to a spot on the grass and flop down, roll on her back, then jump up go over to her sister and give her a light paw on her shoulder and a nudge.  It made the world seem right - when dogs play - just the pure and simple enjoyment of the moment with one another - no malice, no competition, just fun!
[Just to see Maggee play was a wonder in itself as it took her at least a year after her initial diagnosis of Addison's disease to have the confidence and energy again to play like this.]
Silly little moments and memories that make the tears still fall, but also can bring a smile.  Love for that special heart companion is bittersweet when they are off to their new 'adventure' without you. . . 
Quote 0 0
sarab
Calmness, dignity and joyfulness ... the way you describe Maggs sounds like my Teddy.  He was my "special needs" pup because his personality was a little "off" but he was as sweet as the day is long.  I read through your earlier posts about Maggs on your other topic of her and many things you said could have been my words about Teddy.  You were a true gift to her and are a daily gift still to Kass.  Maggs knew she was loved beyond a doubt and we only wish every pet owner could be so devoted.  Bless you CKMP.  Sara
Quote 0 0