Forum

Author   Comment  
Gertie

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone,

I am writing in hope someone can give me advice. My 4 year old Lhasa was at the ER 2/14. He had what I was told was an obstruction lodged in his stomach. I opted for an Endoscopy to remove what I was told look like a stone lodged in his stomach. The Vet called me after the procedure and told me it was food backed up which was removed. She also said Ivan had an Ultrasound which showed Pancreatitis. It has now been a month and he is not his old self. I need to take him back today and find out how we move forward. I have always fed him FROOM dog food with boiled chicken, I now find this is high in fat. If anyone reading this could advise, I would really appreciate it. 

Gertie.
CKMP

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Gertie,

I am so sorry to hear of your sweet Ivan has not been well.  Pancreatitis is a very painful disease - one of my girls suffered bouts of pancreatitis.  Please ask your vet for very very specific diet instructions - I remember it is quite restrictive as to fat content - and yet you need a nutritious diet for your boy.  The vet should be able to provide very good diet instructions.  I know I provided the girls with boiled chicken, mixed fresh vegetables, rice and a vegetarian kibble.   Treats were always low fat biscuits from fruit and vegetables.  But please, please, ask your vet and do not leave with Ivan in doubt as to what he is able to eat!  He may have chronic or acute pancreatitis - and I know I was told with the girls it can take up to 6 weeks for a bout of pancreatitis to settle down and the GI system to come back to 'normal'.  Wishing you and Ivan the best day today and hoping you get the help with his diet needed.  
Gertie

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you so much for reaching out to me. I am just about to leave with him for his Vet visit. So all your information I will take with me. I will let you know how it goes, I am so upset with the lack of caring this ER showed to me and Ivan. I just need to know he will be OK. He is my little man, I want to make him well.
Thank you again for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it so much.

Gertie.
CKMP

Reply with quote  #4 
No thanks necessary Gertie - Please let us know how Ivan makes out.
Many thoughts and prayers for him today.
Gertie

Reply with quote  #5 
We had a good visit with the vet Ivan usually sees. She did address my concerns, and we decided to put him on a home cooked diet for 7 days. I am giving him boiled chicken, rice and sweet potato. He will also take flagyl , pepsid and a probiotic called Proviable. If he does not improve I will follow up with the Gastro. Dr. who did the endoscopy. I hope it works and I see him back to his old self. He is such a wonderful little guy who came into my life and saved me. That was four years ago I had to put my kitty Myles and my Lhasa Duncan to sleep 5 months apart. I have posted many stories over the years. 

I don't know your name. But Thank You for caring enough to take the time to write to me.
A big sloppy xx from Ivan.

Gertie.
CKMP

Reply with quote  #6 
Gertie,
I am so glad to hear the visit was a good one.  And, no thanks ever necessary.  Please let us know how Ivan does with his new diet!  My girls went through this - especially Maggee so I understand the worry, and the toil it can take on our fur ones....And, that is the best thing today - that big sloppy kiss from Ivan - I will take it and any more he wants to give out.  Thoughts and prayers for both of you.  Let us know please.
Gertie

Reply with quote  #7 
Sadly Ivan is not his old self. I called his vet office today and have an appointment tomorrow with the GI doctor. I am not happy with this vet practice and am looking for a new vet for Ivan. I am up to $2500 in a month and really no end.This is very big practice 25 DR's, maybe a smaller office would be more concerned. I hope I get answers tomorrow. He seems tired and listless at times. He did not want to walk this AM. He is just 4 years old. Any input would be appreciated. I am getting very stressed.
CKMP

Reply with quote  #8 
Gertie,
I am so so sorry to hear Ivan is not his old young self.  Pancreatitis is a difficult and painful condition...and there seems always to be a lot of ups and downs for our poor fur ones with this.  Vet bills do add up quickly - however, we would pay any price to help our special fur one.  Perhaps, there is something else going on here too.  I so hope tomorrow's visit brings some answers and some relief for you and Ivan.  I would hate to suggest anything to worry you any more than you already are - but has the vet ruled out Cushings disease? Addison's disease?  Just thinking what I went through with one of my girls....Don't leave tomorrow without some sense of what might be going on - Something must be interfering with his GI system...Hoping for the best tomorrow...Let us know how Ivan makes out.  May you and Ivan have an evening of togetherness, cuddles and pets.  Thoughts and prayers for you and Ivan.
Gertie

Reply with quote  #9 
Yes, I will ask the GI vet tomorrow. He seems a little brighter tonight, but I feel I need answers. I am also going to switch to a smaller practice. But I need to know what is going on with him. He is such a sweet and special little guy. I do appreciate you being there, I will let you know what happens tomorrow.
Thanks again,

Gertie.
CKMP

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Gertie,

Just wondering how sweet Ivan made out yesterday?  Hoping you received some answers desperately needed and wanted and that Ivan is getting the attention and treatment he needs and deserves.  Let us know when you can.  Thinking of you and Ivan = prayers all is good.
MyBella

Reply with quote  #11 
Oh Trudy/Gertie, 

I am so sorry to hear about your precious Ivan, my heart just dropped reading about the difficulties Ivan is having and at such a young age.
I don't have any experience in the problems you and Ivan are going through but wanted you to know you both are in my thoughts.

I always hold a special place in my heart for you, your sweet Duncan and Myles, I have never forgotten that you were one of the first people to reach out to me when I found this wonderful forum almost three years ago, I can never thank you enough for doing so.

I hope this new vet will have some answers and solutions to help Ivan, please do keep us updated on his progress.
I am so sorry you are having to go through such a difficult time so soon after losing your precious Myles and Duncan.
Sending my most positive thoughts along with prayers to you and Ivan.
Your Friend Always, Don
Gertie

Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you both for your support. Ivan had an Ultrasound and things looked better. He does have reflux and gastroenteritis. I now feel he may have been misdiagnosed at that first visit.
He is on new medication and I have chanced his food. I have now spent $3300 and am very upset that this Vet practice put us through so much. As I wrote I am changing to a 2 Dr. Vet clinic. Ivan is eating and slowly making progress. I will keep you posted as to how things go.

Wishing you both a Happy Spring and blessed Easter.

Gertie.
bluegreen_eyes

Reply with quote  #13 
awww That's so sweet. Here's my big support for you guys! >-0-<
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.