Oscar_the_Dog23
Hello all. I recently lost my beloved dog Oscar to cancer. Before I start I would like to say that I spent a couple of days on the site before I added my own thread. Every single dog and cat I read about over the past couple of days was alive in my mind and heart when I read about them. That is how they stay alive for us. Dogs and Cats I never knew came alive from your words and photos. Too many to mention by name. I need some hard advice. I am overcome, completely grief stricken. I am a single man in my 40s and for 11 years it was an 'us against the world' mentality for me and Oscar. I am at a complete loss. I do not expect to feel better any time soon but I also cannot bear the thought of still being incapacitated in 6 months, or a year. I will always have him in my heart but I need some words of hope that it will not be this painful forever. Thank you all.
Quote 0 0
PrayingforaMiracle
I am going through this as well, it seems like it will feel this way forever, even though it's only been a few days for myself. But I know that it won't. It will get better. This was not the first pet I've lost that I loved deeply, nor will it be the last. It is a part of choosing to allow love in our lives.
Quote 0 0
Wileykitten
Oscar's dad I am so sorry for ur loss xo I lost my Wiley to cancer just over a month ago and I am still struggling.. it is not constant crying 42/7 like before but I am in a deep depression and am still so very list without him. I cry alot and intense meltdowns happen more often than id like. Many people here are stronger than I am and have found a way to move forward and many others are months out longer than me and struggling as bad as the first day. Each loss is the same, however... we are all left devastated and broken trying to find our way in this "new normal"... take ur time to grieve and try to remember Oscar new a happy life and much love because of u... also know that now he is cancer free and running around in the sunshine waiting for the day God calls u Home... then he will be waitingat the gates of the Kingdom, tail wagging like crazy and he will run to u and u will never be apart again (((hugs)))
Consider making a memorial to him, put out a couple pictures, light a candle... plant a tree or flowers, something that u can go to or look at and be w him. Ask him to visit u in dreams... he will. He will also leave things around for u to find to remind u he is still with u.
Im not going to tell u to "be strong" because I hate that saying when ur hurting this much, but I will tell u that only ur heart can decide when its done grieving so cry all u want, talk to Oscar all the time... im so sorry u have to walk this road but know u are not alone... all those stories u read here are here because everyone is on this road with u, saddened by the loss of ther special friend. It hurts but we are all here together and we help each other get thru each day. Post as often as u need...

Praying for God's Peace upon ur heart,
love, Stacie
Quote 0 0
JaspersMom
Oscar's Dad, I am so sorry for the loss of your Oscar, he is such a handsome boy. I lost my beloved cat Jasper nineteen months ago, and although I am a bit further ahead on this grief journey than some, very often it feels like just yesterday that I held my sweet kitty in my arms and said such a sad and painful goodbye. My boy was only seven years old when he suddenly became ill and within three days, he declined so rapidly that I had to make the hardest decision of my life, as I kissed his little head, and  watched as the spark left his eyes, and he found his rainbow, and I will never be the same again. That night would very often replay itself over and over again in my head with such incredible clarity, such a sad and devastating moment to be ingrained upon my heart.

In the beginning. I would go to work each day and pretend to be so strong, but I could not wait to be able to go home, where I would open up my front door, and literally "sink into my grief". and only someone who has lost a piece of their heart could ever truly understand what that means. My tears would fall like rain, and I was not sure how I could possibly even be going on when my heart felt like it was broken in so many little pieces, but I did go on, and after some time it is as though the grief becomes part of us and our world, and although the raw and searing pain eases up a bit, that dull ache is always there, you know there is always something missing, that never goes away. I needed to immerse myself in my grief for my sweet Jasper, and my tears would fill an ocean, and when I would write to him, it was as though every single word was helping to meld those tiny pieces of my heart back together again, slowly but surely. I have absolutely no doubt that my boy can somehow feel the words I write to him, and he knows how much he is loved.

But after several months, something started happening, I started to feel my Jasper closer than ever before, and even though I could not see him, or touch him, I could feel his love and sweetness still surrounding me. I used to be so scared that time would eventually take him further away from me, but that is so not what has happened, and after all these months, our bond is still so close. I suppose that sometimes you can love another being so very much, that you actually connect with their very soul, how could that special connection ever be broken. 

Again please know how very sorry I am for the sadness you are feeling, but also know that your precious doggie is really not that far away, and the love that you two shared is forever. I have been where you are right now, and I so understand, nothing will ever compare to that cold dark night when I walked out of that animal hospital with the empty carrier, with my Jasper not in it, but I have made it this far and I can now sometimes even remember the happy times. and although it is bittersweet, I can sometimes even smile now when I think of my beautiful boy. I would not trade one single moment  with my sweet Jasper to avoid the heartache of losing him, but at the beginning, all I wanted was for the pain to stop. all I could think of was ... just make it stop. My thoughts are with you for peace and comfort, my heart goes out to you in your loss, but please know that your Oscar is still right there with you, in every way that counts.
Pamela Lynne Crawford
Quote 0 0
Oscar_the_Dog23
Thank you all. I am at the point where the pain is so bad that if I could go back and do it all over I would not even get Oscar and that then just makes me feel even worse. It is tough to think clearly but I know the 11 years I got were worth 100 times this pain, it is just hard to think that way when it is so difficult.
Quote 0 0
Oscar_the_Dog23
I think the main problem, and the one perhaps we all have, is that we could put up with anything in life, all the disappointments, all the let downs, because when we came home our pet was there to say "who cares? None of it matters, we have each other". That works in every situation apart from one.
Quote 0 0
Wileykitten
yes xoxo
Quote 0 0