Sooz Show full post »
Shark88
Unless you have a full time job or still need to work, you might consider donating your time to the humane society or a veterinarian office or other place that benefits other.   It is part of giving to others and in return you will be blessed.   If you have the financial means and time to care for another pet, then perhaps that might be beneficial too.  God bless you!
Quote 0 0
Lamont
Many shelters have pets that lost their homes or "parents" later in life. You can save the life of one of these mature but abandoned pets by adopting them and welcoming them in to your home.

There are even some opportunities to offer "Fospice" to pets with terminal illnesses who, by no fault of their own have been discarded or their owners just don't / want to have them anymore.

Sure, puppies are fun and kittens are cute, but every one of those homeless pets began it's life that way. Mature or older pets are almost always housebroken, and only want someone to care for them again.

My next pet will definitely be one of those "harder to adopt" animals. 

From the Humane Society webpage:
_____
Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats. Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).
________

L
Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0
Nancyj
I have always adopted the older animals at the shelters because I know not too many people want them.  I've never had a kitten. 
Never heard of offering fospice.  That's kinda neat.  So sad their owners abandon them because they are old or sick.
Nancy
Quote 0 0
zcb
I have been with a horse rescue for years.  I love our horses but nothing compares to coming home to a dog who is so glad to see you and will share your bed at night.  I don't know what I'll do when my Bitsy passes.  She's my heart dog and my soul mate.  I'm 78 and my son thinks I'm too old for another pet but I will not be without one.  I plan on adopting an older dog who no one wants.  
Quote 0 0
Sooz
((((((((((all of us who posted to this thread))))))))))
Heaven is the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you.
Quote 0 0
LovingPatches
I only just saw this post today.  I lost my best friend in the world, my cat, Patches, last July and still grieve for him.  I am not ready to have another pet right now but it feels weird not to have a cat since I have had a cat since I was 18 years old.  My age (65, soon to be 66) is one thing I worry about in adopting another cat.  My cats have all been rescues and a wonderful dog back in the 80s, was a rescue.  All were older, the youngest being 7 months at adoption.  The oldest was my dog who was 5 years of age.  I have a lot of concerns.  Right now, I just can't imagine making the euthanasia decision again.  This last one was the absolute hardest of all of them as I didn't feel like he was ready, even though his legs were collapsing when he'd walk.  He was bright and interactive and eating well.  He was not ready to go.  All my others were.  But another concern almost as strong is the expense of taking care of a pet when I am now on social security.  I am married and we both get social security, but I had to retire early and don't get my full amount.  If anything happens to either one of us, then we lose one of the checks.  I feel that when I adopt a pet, it is for the life of the pet and I don't know if I could afford it if that pet becomes very ill, as vet bills are extraordinarily high these days.  And third, I do worry about my pet outliving me, although 65 is not that old, but we are not guaranteed a long life.  We have no children and no relatives that would take my pet.  Most of my relatives are not that interested in pets.  So I really understand where you are coming from.  I do miss having a cat to love though.  My last one was a Birman mix - they are extremely loving and sweet, and I miss him to my core.

Quote 0 0
Tankie12
No, you’re not alone in thinking that way. Any of it. When it comes to another pet for your other baby I made the decision pretty quickly, two and a half wks after Tankie died. Browns, her sibling was just so broken when she realized Tankie wasn’t coming home. She’s had health issues creeping up on her and needed a splenectomy, but she was declining and I couldn’t give her the kind of attention she needed. Puppy 😳😬😩 I’m used to two 10 yr olds! But she doesn’t like other dogs. So it had to be a puppy. Sooz, the first time this puppy saw her till Right Now, he was infatuated with her! Browns isn’t my sweet “would never hurt a fly” Tankie so it was a constant of me watching Browns body language. She growls he gets closer, she growls showing her teeth, he licks her teeth. She growls with her mouth wide, he licks her tounge. He licks her eyes her ears, and her mouth. She has air nipped and he leaps backwards and gives her a sharp bark than goes right back for more! She wants out when I take him out they eat side by side, manners monitored by me. In short, she’s become happy and more playful than she has been in many months. Friends? Family? I have my daughter who lives in De., I live in Fl. Most of my friends/aquaintances are big time animal lovers. But I don’t think even they can understand how hard this has been. I haven’t seen them since. I can’t yet bare for her name to be brought up or sympathy shown. Age, mortality? I guess it’s not much different than the journey we’re on right now, one step at a time. We could decide we shouldn’t take a responsibility on that we may not be able to fulfill and live to be a mobile semi fit 90 yrs old😬lol, or die tomorrow. Looking at the box that holds Tankie’s ashes, right now, Sooz I had no idea when I woke up on the 3 rd of Jan I’d be holding her lifeless body before the day was over. Or be writing to a kind woman named Sooz☺️
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Sooz
LovingPatches, you sure aren't alone with those thoughts and considerations!  I know sometimes I check the Profile of folks who respond to threads, and have seen other posters "of an age" like I am but for whatever reason, they have not rung in on this thread. Finances are a real consideration when one is on a limited income and that's that...and especially, in your case about losing one of the checks should you or your husband pass! Veterinary care is expensive.

As you've read earlier in this thread, I have no children (and no close relatives who would take my dog(s)) and while care of any dogs I have at the time of my passing is left to my sister, it's not like she'd take them and keep them herself.  She'd probably find a rescue or a place that would take them and I've been very clear that they should live out their days in comfort and with care and love, and not be 'put down' because they may be old or difficult to place.  As much as it's possible, I want to do right by my dogs, even if I'm not here.
Quote 0 0
Sooz
Lynn,

I see how Pearl seems depressed without Luigi and I wonder about getting a brother or sister companion for her.

I'm not emotionally ready, that's for sure, and I'm hoping she'll adjust so I won't have to get another dog before I feel ready, but I've been checking rescues and adoption sites -- my heart sure isn't in it. I don't think I could do a puppy, I really don't.  Pearl is slowing down a bit at age 7 or 8 (she's a rescue, we got her at the vet's best guess of 2 yrs old) and I think a puppy would be too much for Pearl and for me, but a younger dog maybe around age 2 to 4 would be a better option.

Quote:
Sooz, the first time this puppy saw her till Right Now, he was infatuated with her! Browns isn’t my sweet “would never hurt a fly” Tankie so it was a constant of me watching Browns body language. She growls he gets closer, she growls showing her teeth, he licks her teeth. She growls with her mouth wide, he licks her tounge. He licks her eyes her ears, and her mouth. She has air nipped and he leaps backwards and gives her a sharp bark than goes right back for more!

I have not really laughed or smiled since saying goodbye to Luigi, but oh, the image of this ^^^^^ in my mind lightened my heart a bit! I'm glad things are better for your pups in your household--but I know, there's no one like Tankie.  ((((Lynn))))

Y'know, I have a couple "friends" who *say* they love all animals, but really, I don't see it in their real lives -- what they say is just lip service.  I could tell you a couple of stories that would convince you as well, that these people just don't get it, and really, should NOT have a pet! 

Quote:
I can’t yet bare for her name to be brought up or sympathy shown.
I totally understand.
Before I see anyone, if they are coming over to my house (where they'd expect to see two dogs), I tell them ahead of time by text (blubbering, snot and tears don't show on texts) that I had to say goodbye to Luigi, and I know they want to offer me a hug or sympathy when they see me, but I ask them ahead of time to please NOT do that, and please don't talk about dogs, and that will help me *maintain* a semblance of calm and I'm just not ready to go there. I'm holding these deep emotions of loss at bay in this way, but when I'm alone, my the depth of my grief would dumbfound and worry people.

If we are meeting for lunch or something, I text them ahead of time and tell them I'm still raw, and remind them to please not talk about this subject. 

Maybe I'm a bit ... weird...and not many people would truly understand.  Ever since I got Luigi's ashes back, he's slept right next to me, like normal, except now he's in a different form and in a little cedar box that I wrap with the last softest towel that touched him last, when I held him in my arms, when he was sent to the Bridge.  I know it's not "him him" or even his spirit, but the ashes are his earthly remains and that's as close as I can get to him in his little box.  He was my constant companion.  

Every night, I continue to say thank you prayers, for having been given, by happenstance or Divine guidance or intervention, such a wonderful gift as my little boy, and for having him live so long and in good health, until age 18 years and 11 days, and what a blessing it is. 

Lynn, I appreciate your kindness and understanding as well... 

Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Sooz wrote:
Lynn,

I see how Pearl seems depressed without Luigi and I wonder about getting a brother or sister companion for her.

I'm not emotionally ready, that's for sure, and I'm hoping she'll adjust so I won't have to get another dog before I feel ready, but I've been checking rescues and adoption sites -- my heart sure isn't in it. I don't think I could do a puppy, I really don't.  Pearl is slowing down a bit at age 7 or 8 (she's a rescue, we got her at the vet's best guess of 2 yrs old) and I think a puppy would be too much for Pearl and for me, but a younger dog maybe around age 2 to 4 would be a better option.

I have not really laughed or smiled since saying goodbye to Luigi, but oh, the image of this ^^^^^ in my mind lightened my heart a bit! I'm glad things are better for your pups in your household--but I know, there's no one like Tankie.  ((((Lynn))))

Y'know, I have a couple "friends" who *say* they love all animals, but really, I don't see it in their real lives -- what they say is just lip service.  I could tell you a couple of stories that would convince you as well, that these people just don't get it, and really, should NOT have a pet! 

I totally understand.
Before I see anyone, if they are coming over to my house (where they'd expect to see two dogs), I tell them ahead of time by text (blubbering, snot and tears don't show on texts) that I had to say goodbye to Luigi, and I know they want to offer me a hug or sympathy when they see me, but I ask them ahead of time to please NOT do that, and please don't talk about dogs, and that will help me *maintain* a semblance of calm and I'm just not ready to go there. I'm holding these deep emotions of loss at bay in this way, but when I'm alone, my the depth of my grief would dumbfound and worry people.

If we are meeting for lunch or something, I text them ahead of time and tell them I'm still raw, and remind them to please not talk about this subject. 

Maybe I'm a bit ... weird...and not many people would truly understand.  Ever since I got Luigi's ashes back, he's slept right next to me, like normal, except now he's in a different form and in a little cedar box that I wrap with the last softest towel that touched him last, when I held him in my arms, when he was sent to the Bridge.  I know it's not "him him" or even his spirit, but the ashes are his earthly remains and that's as close as I can get to him in his little box.  He was my constant companion.  

Every night, I continue to say thank you prayers, for having been given, by happenstance or Divine guidance or intervention, such a wonderful gift as my little boy, and for having him live so long and in good health, until age 18 years and 11 days, and what a blessing it is. 

Lynn, I appreciate your kindness and understanding as well... 

Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Sooz, So I’m out and about and run into a friend who knows I haven’t been out on purpose ( around people who know) and she asks how I am!! Right there in the garden dept of Lowe’s where I had just picked out a stone bunny to mark Tankies favorite outside spot, and my face crumbled into tears! She managed to steer things in another direction with ease and speed but I texted her and said “ see? This is why!”
I can honestly say I barely acknowledge Tankie’s ash container. Hers is the size of a shoebox, standing on its end. It’s not her. If my husband hadn’t done it for our other rescue, a little Yorkie, I wouldn’t have had it done for Tankie. I did order a chain that I’m going to put her dog tag on though. It was her red heart ID tag I had made for her and her sister when they were 8 wks old. I don’t really do jewelry but I want this badly. You are a good reminder for me to be forever thankful God trusted me with these special girls of mine. Thank you 💛
Quote 0 0