Mickeysdad
On New Years Eve my fiancé and I lost our little boy, Mickey. We've been crying ever since and our house just isn't the same without him. We loved that little dog so much and it was a difficult decision to let him go. Mickey was a Bichon/Poodle mix that my fiancé rescued seven and a half years ago. He was 10 at the time. He was a dog that no one seemed to want. His original owner apparently didn't treat him well. When the owner died his family wanted nothing to do with him so they turned him in to a kill shelter. When a family adopted him only to bring him back after a couple of days it appeared his days were numbered. That's when his future mom walked in and rescued him. For seven and a half years he gave us joy. He had some issues but that only made us love him more. Last summer age started to catch up with him. His mind began to go. We still cared for him and loved him until it was apparent he had little quality of life. His passing was very peaceful, the vet gave us a sedative to give him ahead of time. He died in his Mom's arms. Now he is back to being a young healthy dog running with all his friends by the rainbow bridge. Today we pick up his ashes and bring his physical remains home. But one day we will be reunited with our little Mickster, our Mickey Mouse - forever!
Tom
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
Tom, I can appreciate how you and your fiancé must be feeling over the loss of your beloved Mickey. It is a terrible time to lose a wonderful friend and companion, and on New Year's Eve too. Oh, my heart goes out to you.

I lost two of my own babies ten weeks apart last year. July 17th, and September 22nd – days that haunt me. I am still suffering, the pain and anguish is smothering at times.

Mickey is such a gorgeous little fella. It's such a shame that he didn't have a great life until your fiancé, angel that she is, took him home and the pair of you did all you could to give him the best life possible. That is commendable. Mickey is now at peace, but his energy will always remain with you. How could it not? You did the right thing once he had lost his quality of life. That final act of love and courage takes it's toll, but we cannot let our fur babies suffer. We must try to let them pass with dignity, and as little grief as possible.

All I can do is offer my condolences to you both. You have the knowledge that you gave Mickey seven and a half years of love, affection, and happiness in the last years of his doggy life. For that, you should be eternally grateful, as I am sure you are grateful and blessed to have received his unconditional love.

My thoughts are with you both. Take care.

Wendy

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
Mickeysdad
Thank you for the kind words, Wendy. The decision to put down a beloved pet is heart wrenching. We would have cared for Mickey until the day he took his last breath. But as I said his quality of life was gone. He walked around in circles, getting stuck in corners and under chairs. His weight went from 15 to 12 pounds despite eating 4 to 6 meals a day. The worst thing is he started staying up at night. He wouldn't stay in our bed like he used to. We put him on the floor and he wandered, hitting his heads on things and whimpering constantly. Occasionally he would howl which lead us to believe he was in pain. So we believe we did the right thing. We wish our loved ones would live forever. But it's a fact of life that we all have finite life spans. We have some solace in that Mickey lived a good long life. We only wish that he was in our lives for all of his 17 years.
Tom
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
You did do the right thing, Tom. I believe that we are all born with an expiry date, be it human or animal. When the time is up, it is up, no questions asked. It's a harsh fact of life.

It would be have been wonderful had Mickey been with you for all of his 17 years, but take comfort in knowing that you gave him only the best for the last seven and a half. During that time, he was loved, cared for, and happy. Of that, I have no doubt.

He'll never leave your heart, will always stay in your memory. He gave you so much joy and richness, and for that you should be grateful. When our four-legged friends leave us, the pain is raw. They are, after all, a huge part of the family and when they go, it is us fragile humans who bear the brunt. They teach us so much about life. 

My best wishes to you and your fiancé through the healing process after losing your beloved Mickey.

Wendy

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0