kats

We had to put our Lucky dog to sleep last week.  She was 13 years old, diagnosed with kidney failure 2 years ago,  had arthritis in her hips, cataracts, and getting hard of hearing.  She was a black lab mix.  I work night shift and she always greeted me at the door, then waited until I was ready for bed, and she laid right beside me.  One morning, she got up and was her usual self but a few hours later, she was not acting like herself, constantly pacing, would not lie down, and I picked her up and put her on the couch, she moaned a bit then jumped off the couch kept pacing.  I frantically called my husband home from work.  I was afraid she was looking for a place to die.  Her hind legs sometimes would give out on her, but this day all four legs would give out, she could get up, went to the basement door but we closed it because as she was walking she was leaning and falling to one side and we didn't want her to fall down steps.  She would hardly raise her head and for a few days hardly ate or drank much.  She finally found solace in the bathroom laying against the bathtub which is where she would lay off and on.  We made the heart-breaking decision to put her to sleep.  We called our vet whose office was closed that day, so we found another nearby vet who agreed to put her to sleep.  We just couldn't wait until the next day for our own vet, as we couldn't watch her lie like that all night, but she might have even died through the night.  As it was, she died peacefully with my husband and I with her and I kept talking to her.  We miss her with all of both of our hearts.

Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
Dear Kats,

I'm so very sorry to hear that your time with Lucky has come to an end in this realm. She waits for you in the next one, healthy, young and strong forever.  This hits close to home for me.  I house and pet sit for a couple of friends who share their home with two kitties (one quite elderly) and a beautiful "Rott 'n Lab" named Molly.  She is almost twelve years old and she's been slowing down considerably lately.  She is the closest thing to being my dog, and I treasure every minute I get to spend with her.

The pain of saying farewell is so intense. We all understand, and and we will be here to help you find your footing on your path to recovering from the stunning pain that is hitting you now. 

This kind of grief can be a really tricky road.  There are so many things that make saying farewell to our furs especially difficult.  Soon you will begin to recover, and the roller coaster ride will begin. It might last a day, a week or longer for you.  The amount of time it takes to heal has nothing to do with the depth of your love for or bond with Lucky.  I tell you this because it's not uncommon for us to get stuck in the sorrow, feeling as if we're begin disloyal of we recover "too quickly."  Nothing could be further from the truth. 

If you go to the forum page and click on the post "Free Book Offer' at the top of the forum threads, you will find out how to order a free advance copy of Bill At Rainbow Bridge by Dan Carrison.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  It's the wonderful story of a dog named Bill who arrives at Rainbow Bridge interwoven with the story of a man named Peter who is recovering from letting Bill go.  Just amazing.  It's short (only about 90 pages) and easy to take in; even during the depth of emotional turmoil that you are, no doubt, feeling now.

Please come back and share more stories about life with Lucky.  It helps a lot to write about the memories of happier times and all of the things that made our best friends such important parts of our lives. Bless you for loving her so well, and for giving her the ultimate gift of love by assisting her on her journey when she was ready to go. 

You and your husband and, your beautiful Angel Lucky, are all in my thoughts and prayers.

xoxoxo

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0