xxItsChristina
Yesterday evening, my cat Koda died. He was barely a year and a half old, and we also have his brother, my cat (Raffie), who he's lived with his entire life. We'd only had them for 3-4 months, but he died, and it was our fault. We forgot he was outside (he's a good boy, he always comes in and stays near the house) and let the (giant, rambunctious) puppy out, who scares him. We think he ran into the street and, consequentially, was hit. It was all our fault, and now I'm terrified to let his brother outside for more than five minutes, even if I watch him the entire time.
I feel absolutely terrible. I've never had a pet die this way. We've lost two guinea pigs to disease, put down a four year old Italian Greyhound due to a terminal hereditary disease, and put down our 17-year-old Spanish Grey Tabby due to sudden kidney failure because of his old age. I can't believe he was hit - you never think it's going to happen to you. He was dead for hours, too, because we found his body at 8 PM and my sister and I saw "him" (we didn't know it was him at the time, and we obviously didn't check) when we got off the school bus at about 3:30 PM. It's absolutely devastating for us, especially since he was my sister's cat, but he slept and hung around me.

They realized he was out and searched the whole house for him and around, but then my mom and sister went to check the road. My sister came into my room bawling, and anybody else would have seen what was coming, but not me. She always does that when she thinks we lost a pet (i.e. gone for 5-10 minutes or more, but we've never actually lost one of our animals), so that's what I expected, and that we'd find him. Then she told me he was dead, and I shrieked like a banshee. I thought she was messing with me, I thought it'd never happen to us - quite frankly, I hadn't a clue what to do. I was panicking and crying and went to the back of my mom's car, where they put his body. I said that I loved him and goodbye...

How do we cope? Should I show the brother the body? What do I do?!
~Christina
Quote 0 0