Oscarmeyer
As a nurse I am constantly aware of how fragile life is. A couple of days ago, I was reminded personally. Our beloved 8 yr old Oscar mini dauschund died unexpectedly after hurting his back three days earlier. I know in my heart we did everything we could to have tried to prevent this, but still it haunts me. I was supposed to be his protector. I feel guilt that maybe I should have tried surgery though they said he didn't have good odds. I'm around death and dying everyday. I know death and loss are a part of life so I'm not sure why it devastates me like it does. Everyone deals with death differently and we all experience loss, but all I know is there's a huge hole in my heart now and I feel it day and night. I know it will take time and strength before things feel better. My wife tells me I need to stop torturing myself and think of all the wonderful things that made him Oscar. But for now I mourn the loss of a friend and I need to let my heart mend. Some might say he was "just a dog" but I've lost a constant friend of eight years and someone I loved and made us laugh. He knew my ups and downs and brought richness to our days. Our life will be less without him. His sister just seems so sad...she just walks around like a ship without a compass. No longer will I be greeted by Oscar and his wagging tail and loving eyes...he was a friend with gentle loving ways. Oscar was a friend I won't forget. Oscar will live always in my heart, my sweet and loving pet. We miss you SOOOOO MUCH
OSCAR 2008-2016
Quote 0 0
Baileysbro
So sorry about your loss.

Tell us more about Oscar. 

We're all going through this.  I just lost my beloved Bailey on Tuesday and its been so hard.   Everyone here is having a hard time and missing their beloved.
Bailey
October 31, 2002 - April 19, 2016 10:25 P.M.
My best friend, my companion, my love

[e8de4bc1-77ae-4da2-9834-109b68b6cda8]

[Paws-for-the-News-Grieving-the-loss-of-a-pet] 
Quote 0 0
Oscarmeyer
I found this site to have someone to relate too. My wife is sad but very stoic and she thinks I dwell on things to torture myself but I just really hurt. And to make it worse, I started finding sites about dauschunds and back surgery or people that use doggie wheels for their paralyzed back legs so now I'm second guessing my decision. I'm so glad I found this site...it's nice to know I'm not alone
Quote 0 0
et61
I can certainly understand how you feel and so sorry for the loss of your friend. I lost my Sweetie suddenly after only having him 6 years (he was a stray). I feel lost and have an emptiness in my heart and home. He was my constant buddy as well and feel so lost without him. It seems our lives change with the loss of our beloved pets and I can understand how you feel. We all love our animals and know they are more than just "a dog" or "cat". They are our companions, friends and without them feel a certain emptiness. Hugs to you. Sounds like you gave Oscar a wonderful eight years. The only faults animals have is they don't live long enough :(.
Quote 0 0
Skittles
Oscarmeyer wrote:
Some might say he was "just a dog" . . .

Oscarmeyer, I would never say such a thing to you. Never.
I hope none of your friends say that to you. It's a cruel and heartless thing to say.
My best wishes to you for your time of grieving.
Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. - Amelia Earhart
Quote 0 0
Baileysbro
No, it isn't self torture, its genuine pain, the pain of loss and to be honest, inconsolable at times. 

If Bailey had lived, I was planning on getting a harness and doggy shoes to help him with his friction.  He started slipping on the wood floor. And though we laid those rubbery under carpets down, for some reason he didn't step on them.  And I also saw the doggie wheels which I was also planning to get for him if the need be. 

Bailey
October 31, 2002 - April 19, 2016 10:25 P.M.
My best friend, my companion, my love

[e8de4bc1-77ae-4da2-9834-109b68b6cda8]

[Paws-for-the-News-Grieving-the-loss-of-a-pet] 
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
Oscar  It's true, we all grieve different ways.  Some grieve longer than others.  I lost my Winston 3/2/16 after 12 years.  The first weeks were the worst.  All I could was cry, and question myself. I must have asked my daughter a million times "did i do the right thing?"

She assured me I did, as did others. They are not "just dogs".  They are family! They don't judge, or question our decisions or disagree with us.  And yes, they will always live in our hearts and minds.    Peace and healing to you   Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0