LisaR
Okay so hopefully this will be my last post,
I'm wanting some people's opinions and what anyone else would of done, first a background story if you don't know already, (it's a long one)
Im 12 weeks pregnant with a 3 year old girl and a partner that works, I had a lovely 9 year old border collie full of life that would do mad runs around the house chase after us up and down the stairs chase the hoover , bark at the door/window , love walks and her all time favourite chasing her toy and carrying it everywhere she went.
Okay so fast forward to last week on Sunday we woke up thinking it was a completely normal day, my other half opened the door for lucy and walked away, we had breakfast and don't remember seeing much of her that morning, anyways I went to do dishes and Lucy slipped suddenly in the kitchen I thought she slipped on water then I saw her do a wierd drag of her feet as she walked out and went to lie down in the living room my other half said he did see her limp on the way out living room , so I thought maybe she just sprained it and gave her a bit of time and gave her a biscuit she did eat it but I don't remember her drink anything that morning.
Anyway we had lunch and she was still laying there not interested normal she mooches and wants what I have same with breakfast, I tried rubbing her leg and moving it seeing if maybe she just layed on it wierd, I then got her toy she got up slowely came to door and only just managed to get out the door with help, I threw her toy gently she tried to grab it and fell on her bum as she couldn't stay up on just her legs, at times she sat and near gave up, she's usually very persistent.
So we ended up rushing her to vet by that time her walking worsened, the vet said the symptoms all link to a ruptured disk (she had no deep pain, was fully paralysed in her legs and couldn't reflip her feet herself), however to be sure of where the problem lies and if to operate, it would cost £2500 for MRI and £3000 odd for surgery if was needed or able, however it was about an hour away (we had pet insurance but didn't know if it would cover it), I'd of needed to get a taxi. The other option was inflammetorys and see how she did with a 30% of it working without surgery and 60 or 70% without, the last option was euthanize her. I messaged my other half he went straight to euthanize so did few my other family say it'd be best for her, I was there for 5 hours discussing it all, when my mother in law arrived she hugged me and said it's best to let her go, with her support and strength that's what we decided on, also it was a different vet as it was night shift who turned up to euthanize her, all my Lucy did was just lay there no noise other then a few growls at the door as she heard noises, when she was to be put down she nuzzled us, licked me and went.
Sorry for the long post but I can't forget that day and I feel like I'm living in a nightmare at the moment, so I was wondering would you all have done the same? We just couldn't see her get worse if did but did we take her chance away or save her from suffering?
This is my full story. Thankyou for reading
Included pic from at the vet (not realising it was our final cuddle)
I just haven't been able to focus or manage at all on this and hoping I find people that would have done the same.
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
You did the right hing.  There is no guarantee that surgery will even work.
If love could have saved you you never would have died.
Quote 0 0
camunki
you did the right thing for your Lucy.......and there are no guarantees in life with "anything".....from what you wrote you made the best decision that you could for your girl. I think we all "go back" and requestion our choices.

Cam

Quote 0 0
LisaR
Thankyou, I think the regret is cos I miss her so much and it all happened suddenly and I felt I never gave her a chance by taking her home, but she just didn't look herself and heard that it'd of been just alot of rest after which she definatly couldn't do 🙁
Quote 0 0
LisaR
Just to bring this back up, god I miss her so so much.... It doesnt feel real it feels like she should still be here, it's worse in the mornings when reality hits and it hits hard that my Lucy isn't on the bed or downstairs ☹️
Quote 0 0
Breezy2013
You will always miss her, I miss Brutus this  morning, too.
If love could have saved you you never would have died.
Quote 0 0
DeeDeeDee
I'm so sorry, Lisa.  Don't question your decision.  Lucy is running around all over heaven.  I hope she met my Daisy.  Maybe they are "besties".  It's been 3 weeks for me.  Daisy was 16.  It has gotten better.  I miss Daisy terribly, but I know it was her time to go.  We all know when we get a pet that the day will come when we will have to say goodbye.  Take care of yourself, and know you made the right decision.  Denise  XOXOXO
Denise
Quote 0 0
exburt
Given the same set of circumstances, I would've done what you did, and I would've felt just as bad as you are feeling, for the same reasons. But you acted to save Lucy from an agonizing existence; never doubt that you did the best for her. And as you recover, RB will be here to help you through it. 

Burt
B Weinstein
Quote 0 0
LisaR
Thankyou exburt,I just wonder what would of happened if I took her home, would she still be here with me happy, or sad and depressed she couldn't do anything? I felt that my decision was guided by family, She was so hyper and my family knew that, and they know me to, knew how much I loved her and we all loved her. At the time it didn't feel like I had that option to take her home with just a 30% to get better, and we couldn't go far away for an MRI and surgery 🙁
Quote 0 0
exburt
Lisa, that's the tragedy of euthanasia - we always wonder what if. When it comes time to make that call, I try and keep in mind something the best vet we ever had (before we had to move away) told me and my wife: It's always a blessing to let a suffering pet go a day early than make him or her suffer a minute longer than necessary.  

For what its worth, I think your decision was guided by Lucy. 

All the best,
Burt
B Weinstein
Quote 0 0