Forum

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 20     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
heartsick

Reply with quote  #61 

I get it too. When Bear was 3 years and 1 month old we were playing Frisbee - his favorite thing in the world. He landed wrong and herniated his back as well as tore the ACL in his knee. He lost the use of his bladder, back legs, and bowels. I found the only veterinary neuro - orthopedic surgeon in the state and we were there as quickly as we could get there, which was actually 3 days because the guy was on vacation. Those 3 days were the longest of my life. I slept with Bear on the floor of his room keeping one hand on him the entire time to make sure he was breathing. He was on pain killers and he could still feel if you pinched his foot. I never left his side. The police came and helped me to get him into the car (he weighed 83 pounds). When we got to the hospital and they said it would be around $4,000.00 I said, ‚ÄúThat is why they invented credit cards." Bear was in the hospital for five days and I had to help him to re-learn to walk when he came home. It took us 6 months but we did it. AND then exactly one year to the day from his surgery it looked like it happened again and I rushed him to the hospital. First I got down on all fours next to him and I said to him, "Tell Mommy where it hurts baby." I got a shooting sharp pain in a specific part of my back. It was a Sunday night. I wrote a one page letter to the surgeon explaining EVERYTHING - including where he was having pain this time and I rushed him down to the hospital and admitted him so he would be the first person the Doctor saw on Monday morning. The doctor called me at 7 am and told me he read the letter and I was right about the spot except this time Bear did not need surgery. He had an embolism (blood clot) at that spot on his spine and would be treated in patient for at least a week - another $3800.00. I said no problem. I called the credit card company and told them I had to save my dog's life and they raised my limit so I could do it. All they asked for was the name of the doctor and hospital and phone number. I gladly gave it and they complied. It took me a few years to pay off that nearly $10,000.00 and I would do it again. My baby came home and I taught him to walk again. It was a very sad day when I had to take his two Frisbees and put them in the trash can, but his life was so much more important. He lived over eleven more years in health and happiness and silliness with me. Not one second would I trade for one penny of that money back. It's just money and not by BABY BEAR'S life.

jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #62 

It must be Monday ... 7 weeks today ... after telling people here I've been sleeping well, I woke up at 4AM and could not get back to sleep. It was just starting to get light, so Miles would have been home and lying with me (on the couch so I wouldn't be keeping his mom awake) helping me get back to sleep. I went out to the garden and talked to him for a little while as the sky got lighter. Looks like it will be a long day. Miss you, buddy.

"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me." - Kermit the Frog

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." - Gandalf
jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #63 
Susan,

Wow ... I had no idea Bear had been through anything like that. Learning to walk again ... -twice- ... !!!

What a team! No wonder the attachment goes SO deep between you.

The 'Betsy Ross' pictures in your thread are adorable. If we're all dressing up, Miles and I will take the Shakespeare costumes please, and he'll have the codpiece ... ;^)

"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me." - Kermit the Frog

heartsick

Reply with quote  #64 
Miles gets the codpiece and you wear the tights and balloon pants. Interesting!
I will post Bear's Shakespeare photos again down the line.
Thanks.
Yes - Bear had a tough go for a couple of years. I bought carpet runners for the entire house so he never had to walk on the hardwood floors again - they scared him - he knew he could slip so he would stop walking at the end of a rug. SO I just got more for him. I had to hold up his back with a special harness for him to slowly use his back legs again. By six months after the second time he was running at top speed and playing again. I am forever grateful to that surgeon and I NEVER cared about the money or the interest on the credit card or anything - I had my Bear what more could I possibly want? There were so many people who said to let him go, he was just 3 years old! - I let them go instead and I am no longer friends with them - not worth it!
jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #65 
Sorry, Susan ... dumb triple entendre there ... Miles was always happy to have a piece of cod ... and I was also thinking about the protection it might have provided him considering the preceding story. I don't think you'll ever find me performing at Yuk-Yuks ...  8^p  ... although I've got a real thigh-slapper about Rene Descartes ...   =8^0

However, I may be prescient. You may recall I had bought some cat supplies this weekend to 'be prepared' ... my partner's son turned up at the house a while ago, having made a 2 hour drive to deliver us a white and tan male kitten! When Miles departed this world, his cat was pregnant and he said he had intended to bring us a pair of her kittens, but she only had one and it was stillborn ...  8^(  ... but it turns out his neighbor's cat had a litter at about the same time and there was one left when he learned about it.

He's about 10-12 weeks old and he's got the oddest black spots here and there, like someone flicked a fountain pen at him, and a big purr. We're told he's a troublemaker, which bodes well as far as I'm concerned. I was sent out to get the necessities, so I made a show of getting my keys and heading out ... and came back in about 20 seconds later with the stuff I'd bought on the weekend. He's explored the place now and has found a 'safe house' on one of the dining room chairs where it tucks under the table. He likes the food here and has used the litter box. He's a little reserved at the moment, but that's to be expected ... a new place, a long car ride (which he apparently spent asleep, draped around the son's shoulders), new people. My partner named him Max, which I've decided is short for Maximus Catticus.

I'm excited and a little nervous ... it almost feels like a first date! ... but the silence that had nothing to do with sound has lifted from the house. There's a certain energy that has returned with his presence, and I welcome that so much. He puttered around the desk while I attended the ceremony tonight and is sitting at my feet as I type this. I've been given head butts and a couple of nose to nose touches, and there's a warm, furry, appreciative head to scratch within easy reach. I don't think I'm meant to be without that ... it's such a comfort.

And so another journey begins, almost exactly the way my journey with Miles began ... will he be a roommate or a soulmate? We shall see. I'll do my best to make sure he's happy and healthy ... and we'll go from there. One thing for sure, once a cat has been welcomed into this house, it's his for as long as he wants it ... a forever home ... and I feel -really- good about that.

There will be pictures ... I wish I'd had a camera for more of Miles' life, but this time there will be documentation.

albee

Reply with quote  #66 
This is the first time I have found your thread..and wanted to tell you how wonderful the Miles stories were to read...an inspiration...I must start the Hendrix stories this week.

Miles is/was a beautiful guy...indeed.  Surely he'll always occupy a special corner of you heart.

Thank you so much for the kind and supportive posts during this time..it's only been 12 days...and I'm still seeing Hendrix out of the corner of my eye throughout the days..I found some tufts of hair...as his belly hair had been falling out..and I collected them up..and felt silly..then I read about the Whisker..and felt okay..

Saw the fireworks tonight and remembered how Hendrix never flinched when firecrackers went off..he was a confident fellow...but for some years he was quite frightened of strangers...I believe that someone who was an overnight guest at my apartment in Manhattan many years ago..either kicked him..or in some way deeply frightened him..and it took a long time for him to break through that fear...but a few  years ago, on the Fourth of July, he came downstairs to a roomful of friends, and stretched out in the middle of the room, purring..no trace of fear...and I knew he had finally overcome whatever it was..He was home and safe and ..he  had two Great Danes to watch over him..so who was going to mess with THAT?

I will write a Hendrix story...maybe about his very early days...and his first tall blonde girlfriend...more to come ...

Thank you for sharing so many wonderful Miles stories...very touching...and for sharing your emotional journey through this difficult terrain...I have found great comfort in your words.

I've been lighting a candle every night for my Wonder Cat...and am off to do that now...

heartsick

Reply with quote  #67 
I like the double- triple entendre.
Now what is that knee slapper about Descartes? Or maybe

Nietzsche?

I could use a good laugh!!

jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #68 
Rene Descartes walks into a tavern, sits down at the bar and the bartender says, "Will you be having a drink, Rene?" Rene pauses for a moment, then replies, "I think not." ... and vanishes into thin air!

heartsick

Reply with quote  #69 
Okay - You win!
I actually laughed out loud!!!
Thank you for that!!
Susan
Laverne143

Reply with quote  #70 
As a new member, I have been trying to read as many of everyone's stories as possible. We all have such wonderful memories of our babies. I am only going on 6 days without my Laverne and everyday I see something in my house that is a reminder of her. Laverne, unlike my Shirley who loves to fetch, loved to take anything she can find and hide it. There are so many of my 7 month's old toys and pacifiers behind my couch and God only knows what I will find under my bed. She had such a unique personality. She was most known for giving the biggest kisses any little dog could give. Just when you thought she had given enough, she would continue to kiss you even if you were already trying to talk. She was a 8 lb puppy that just wanted to be loved and give love constantly. Everynight she slept right under my neck and the last few mornings have been unbearable to wake up without her there. I just want to sleep all day so I could pretend that it never happened. It's amazing how such beautiful animals could have such a strong effect on us. They are all God's angels. For the rest of my life, I will never understand a person who doesn't have love for an animal. Well I hope everyone is doing okay today. This site has really helped in just venting my emotions to people who want to hear it. I thank you all for giving me a place to do this. 
Good luck with your new journey with your new baby. He doesn't even know yet what a good life he is in for. 
jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #71 
albee,

Thank you for your kind words and for reading the Miles story. I've had a few cats in my life, but Miles was something incredibly special. It's going to be a while yet before I get used to the "new normal'.

No need to feel silly about anything here, we get it. I'm really looking foreward to reading some Hendrix stories. I can just picture Hendrix and his bodyguards. Were they actually defensive of him?

I hope it gets easier for you. Telling his stories will help.

Laverne143,

Thank you too for reading the Miles stories. That's the first thing I did here as well ... reading lots of posts. It gave me the courage to start telling my own stories ... well, that and Jim's suggestion that I start doing so (thank you again, Jim!).

The early days are so very very hard. I get the sleeping thing, if I'm asleep, I'm not hurting. I even wrote some lyrics about it:

In a Dream

I can hear the rain, so I'll stay in bed
And yes I know the pain, is just in my head
Sleeping I feel fine
So I'll spend my time
In a Dream

Floating gently down, at a glacier's pace
Please don't bring me 'round, from this quiet place
Let me lie in peace
Here's where I feel whole
Bring my sweet release
Silence soothe my soul
In a Dream

...and I drift away...

(dreamy fretless bass solo)

I still hear the rain, wash the world clean
But everything's the same, leave me In a Dream
===

... so at least something positive came of it. I'm so very fortunate to have found this place as well ... it's been a life saver. Hope you find some peace here.

Max it lying at my feet as I type this. I brought him home some jingle balls today. Despite Miles' intelligence, he never did get picking something up and carrying it around. Max has caught on to that right away. If the ball gets stuck, he just picks it up and carries it to an open space and resumes chasing it around. Houston, we have a personality!

A couple of shots of Max ...

http://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/file?id=1156960

http://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/file?id=1156959

heartsick

Reply with quote  #72 
Of course he has a little personality - and it will get bigger as he does.
What a lucky kitty and a life full of love to look forwrd to!
Love to ALL of you
Susan
julieandfurbabies

Reply with quote  #73 
That little kitty sure is one lucky furby,,,,,who shall live a charmed life in there wonderful forever home
Big hugs to you x

Reply with quote  #74 
What a cute little kitty! Congrats on your new journey!

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."
- Louis Sabin

"When the Man waked up he said,
'What is Wild Dog doing here?'
And the Woman said,
'His name is not Wild Dog any more,
but the First Friend,
because he will be our friend
for always and always and always.'"
- Rudyard Kipling
albee

Reply with quote  #75 
Wow...somehow I had missed the part of the post that tells us about Maximus Caticus..What a wonderful development...it's funny...I had wondered if you would soon find a new cat to welcome into your heart...as I wonder the same for myself.

Glad to hear that Max has taken to your home...and you to him..He's a lucky guy!  And surely Miles would be/is so happy to know that you will not be without feline companionship...I'd say your world has tilted back to a better angle now.

Hendrix's guard dogs...well..it wasn't really put to the test entirely...but Pepper, the female Dane, hung out with Hendrix often..they sunned together...and played games with each other from either side of the door.  Hendrix used to run around in his 'crazy moments' and the dogs would get excited and tail him...then he'd scoot up the stairs...and if they weren't in hot pursuit..he'd stop and turn around with a look that seemed to say "WHAT...you're not going to chase me??!!"..and up the stairs they would all go...and when he was not well, Pepper made room on her bed for him..and slept beside him, curled around him at times...and on his last day she stayed very close.  She definitely notices his absence..and so does Moose..who continues to seek him out on the terrace when given a chance...

When we got Hendrix, he was probably at most 4 weeks old...very tiny indeed..and quite beaten up...part of his tail was missing hair...the part closest to his body...and we dipped him nightly in a chinese soup container..maybe mentioned that before...His tail was never right...it hung oddly...never upright...but very full and lovely with a snowy white tip. 

My partner...(with whom I now live) .. back when I lived in NYC and he in Jersey.. would come to the city for the weekends...with his fawn colored Great Dane female...she was elderly...and Hendrix...was a teeny little thing...he would wrap himself around the top of her head when she was sleeping..and would even get inside her ear!  He adored her...followed her around...his first gal ...a tall blond...
She stepped on him once and I raced to the animal hospital with him, afraid he had sustained internal injuries..but he was fine...and happy to go home to his girlfriend.

After Pandora passed away...a few years later...a new baby Dane female came along..Pepper...and Hendrix was delighted...Pepper had to learn that Hendrix was not a stuffed toy...and Hendrix learned to use his claws to keep her in her place...but in time..she became very very gentle with him...and then along came Dane #2, Moose...who now weighs in at 170 lbs...Hendrix would find ways to get on eye level with the dogs...and had no fear at all of them...they would nuzzle him and he would walk under them if that was the shortest path to where he wanted to go...

We called Hendrix 'the littlest Great Dane"...or said his Native American name was "sleeps with Great Danes"...as I often found them all napping together in a variety of poses.

I can still see my boy scampering up the stairs at full speed...looking back to be sure the other 'kids' were in pursuit...

Hope to talk to the vet soon...am stunned that she has never called...so i will reach out now that I know she's been back for a couple of days...to see what the test results tell me...as I ponder the possibility of a new kitten somewhere down the road...

My best wishes to Max and his new family...Glad to know that a new kitty has a wonderful home...full of wonderful memories..and ready to make new ones...
a fitting tribute to Miles, indeed.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.