Forum

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 20      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
heartsick

Reply with quote  #46 
What a FANTASTIC photo!!
I am thinking of you.
Susan
julieandfurbabies

Reply with quote  #47 

I am so very sorry for your loss..what a beautiful picture and one that you will cherish forever x

Reply with quote  #48 
Now...was Miles stalking or just looking? That is a beautiful picture to capture.

Hope you're doing ok today.

Reply with quote  #49 
Just looking ... too hot out to consider running after anything ... although that one outstretched paw does seem to be an invitation ... "I don't feel like moving, but you could always come just a little closer..."

"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me." - Kermit the Frog

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." - Gandalf
heartsick

Reply with quote  #50 
Just so you know I am thinking of you today and always.
Susan
Jimbo106

Reply with quote  #51 

lol....that one paw did seem a little hopeful.

Reply with quote  #52 

Thanks, Susan, Julie, (and Jim of course) ... 5 weeks today. I was doing pretty well the last few days, but lately "I Don't Like Mondays". The Candlelight Ceremony always helps, though, proceeded by the weekly laying of a collection of wildflowers on his grave.

Coming home from work is the low point of my day...no welcome home ritual.

Welcome Home:

That was the only time Miles would want a tummy rub. I'd get out of the car and he'd be right there. I'd say "Miles!", he'd say "meow", then roll over for a rub, a long one if the weather was good, a brief symbolic one if it was too cold, and he'd dispense with it altogeather if it was wet. If I was too slow unlocking the door, he'd get up and paw at the doorknob to help me. Once inside, we'd converse... "How's Miles today?" ... "meow" ... "Really?" ... "mrrr" ... "Then what happened?" ... "meowp, mrrow" ... "Oh dear!" ... "meow, meow". Then his supper was served.

I guess I'm doing better 'cause I only misted up a bit and there's a small smile as I wrote that. I miss it ... but I'll NEVER forget it ... and that's really saying something about what I'll ALWAYS have from my time here on Earth with my buddy.

"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me." - Kermit the Frog

heartsick

Reply with quote  #53 
There are just those days that are almost too difficukt to get through but somehow we do and when we look back we are not quite sure how we did it.
I LOVE your conversation with Miles. I miss mine with Bear too. It is the little everyday thhings that hurt the most I think. Miles is with you as Bear is with me - it is just NOT the way we want it to be right now and that is just so difficult to deal with.
I am thinking of you.
Susan
jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #54 
Just say 'No' to Drugs:

Miles came home one day with his wonderfully expressive tail hanging behind him like someone had pinned it on him, just lifeless. I could lift it up and it would just fall, unmoving. A friend had had that happen to his cat and they'd had to amputate it. (He was an intact male, it left him looking like some odd version of a rabbit.) I called the vet immediately and we went right there. She took a look and said they'd need to sedate him and take some x-rays. They brought him back out about 1/2 an hour later and said there was nothing broken and that he'd be fine. It had probably gotten caught in something and was pretty bruised, but he'd get the use of it back in a day or two. Whew!

Miles was pretty out of it from the sedative, lying on the passenger seat and rolling around upside down. We got home and I brought him in. I wanted to keep him inside until the sedative wore off. He was hanging in the dining room staring at the wall. I went to the kitchen and came back and saw him eyeing the sideboard and preparing to jump up there, something he never usually did. I saw what was coming and yelled "Miles! No!" just as he launched himself toward the top ... and he missed entirely and fell to the floor, then scrambled under it. I got down on the floor and tried to coax him out, but he hissed at me, the only time he ever did that. I left him alone and he stayed under there for about 2-3 hours ... then slinked out, looking completely embarassed, looking for affection and forgiveness perhaps? I obliged and was rewarded by an audible purr, the highest form of approval. His tail recovered within a couple of days, no worse for wear.

Jimbo106

Reply with quote  #55 
I really like the coming home from work conversations. Jamie didn't "talk" too much audibly. She had her little "I'm over here" chortle, and "here's my ball"chortle, which were just a little different. If I stood and raised my arms and said "what", she'd give a little "ruppp".

Nothing can take those memories away from us.

Reply with quote  #56 
When I am home I do not want to leave -
When I am out I do not want to come home.
Lovely choices I have!
Susan
heartsick

Reply with quote  #57 
Thank you for being there for me and for being my friend and for liking the photos of my precious baby Bear.
Thank you my friend.
jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #58 

The Accident:

Miles went missing for a whole day once about 3 years after we got him. Very uncharacteristic for him, he was not a roamer. He finally came home well after suppertime (even MORE uncharacteristic for him, he liked his meals -on time-), moving in a very gingerly fashion. He ate heartily and behaved normally except for being very cautious about getting around. He didn't want to be picked up either. He spent the night indoors, again unusual for him.

When I got home from work the next day, his mom reported he hadn't been out all day except to relieve himself and that he had spent the day in his chair. I picked him up despite his mild protests and checked him over. Nothing visibly wrong but his belly felt funny. He seemed to be ok if I carried him upside down, belly up, like a baby. I made an appointment for the vet the next day.

The vet checked him over and said he had a very large hernia ... essentially most of his digestive tract had come through the membrane and muscle meant to hold it in place and was up against his skin. That's what I had felt. She told me he needed surgery to put everything back in place, gave me the estimated cost and asked if I wanted to go through with it. I had recently received my first credit card and hadn't put a thing on it to that point, so I told her "Yes, we'll be doing that." I handed Miles to her, still upside down and he relaxed in her arms like he knew she was going to help him. "You're a very lucky boy.", she told him. She noticed that he was still an intact male and asked if I wanted to neuter him while they were at it and I agreed. They called at the end of the day to say that all had gone smoothly but they wanted to keep him for the night to be sure. They said he had been either been hit by a car or kicked by someone.  8^(   I asked if they had done the neutering and she said "Yes, the poor little thing. Even those were bruised." I winced in sympathy! All you furdads reading this, feel free to do so as well at this point in the story!

I picked him up the next day and they gave me his antibiotics, a cone collar and some bad-tasting ointment (I took her word for it) to put on his stitches. A good thing too as the cone just didn't work out. He spent an hour or more walking backwards around the house trying to get out of it, so that came off. Fortunately, the ointment worked well and he left them alone.

She also told me it would be good if we could keep a warm compress on his belly a couple of times a day. That became the routine for the next couple of weeks. Twice a day, once in the morning (I'd get up early to do it before work) and once after supper I'd wrestle his pill into him. He didn't like it, but he didn't hold it against me, either. Then we'd sit down in the big chair, him belly up in my arms and lap with a warm washcloth on his surgical scar. He'd relax, half-closed eyes, minimalist purr, and go with that for 30-40 minutes while I rubbed his head and talked to him, telling him what a brave and lucky boy he was. Those sessions are such a fond memory for me ...

His recovery was complete. He did have some 'lumpy bits' where there was scar tissue, the part he always wanted rubbed during his 'Welcome Home" tummy rubs. It only took a year to pay off the credit card. I've always considered it the best $800 I've ever spent.

Jimbo106

Reply with quote  #59 
 "Those sessions are such a fond memory for me ..."

I can understand that; taking care of Jamie when she had diabetes brought us even closer. Usually I needed her much more than she needed me...so taking care of her made me feel necessary. Don't get me wrong; she loved me to pieces but I always felt I needed her so much more.

Miles was very lucky you watched him for unusual behavior; it could have been a lot worse.

Reply with quote  #60 
I love your stories about Miles!

"The best $800 you've ever spent"...I totally get that. Kiki had histoplasmosis when she was 3. She was sooooo sick and it took almost 2 months before she was diagnosed and another 12 before she was completely healthy again. Financially it was a huge hardship...by the time all was said and done...we spent between $4000 and $5000. It was worth every penny. I had 5 more years with her than anyone thought we would have. It wasn't enough time...but I'd do it again. I was prepared to do it again when she got sick this time. If there was hope...there was no way I was giving up on her. The battle was just too big this time.

I look forward to more stories about Miles...they make me smile. Thank you for sharing him with us.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."
- Louis Sabin

"When the Man waked up he said,
'What is Wild Dog doing here?'
And the Woman said,
'His name is not Wild Dog any more,
but the First Friend,
because he will be our friend
for always and always and always.'"
- Rudyard Kipling
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.