Forum

Author   Comment   Page 7 of 20     «   Prev   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   Next   »
albee

Reply with quote  #91 
Great news that Jorja has been located...Hope she will settle in to your household and a relationship with Max too...

Miles will help her get settled in perhaps...

As the days pass here, drawing me ever farther from the days spent with Hendrix, I feel like I'm on a roller coaster of emotion still...just when it feels like things are settling down, I will see another cat...or stumble on some Hendrix memorabilia...and the emotions are stirred anew. 

Just as I had asked our last cat, Tugga, to help us find a new kitty...I've begun reaching out to Hendrix to let him know when the time is right...maybe he'll help me find a new friend...not just yet...but maybe soon.... My son and I always felt that Tugga had brought Hendrix our way...told him that if he was scared ...we'd be just right for making him feeling safe...

I realize that the first weeks with Hendrix...dipping his lower half in warm water each night to clean his wounds...then wrapping/swaddling him in a towel and holding and rocking him...on our bellies...was just an amazing bonding period..and his utter trust in us was born in those days.  AND his love of water.  

The first time I heard splashing in the bathroom I ran horrified to ...I imagined...rescue him from a fall in the toilet...but no...he was perched on the seat...splashing away...and as he grew bigger...he would just stand  up toilet-side...and get himself wet to the 'shoulders'..and splash like crazy...what FUN!  And then when his tall blonde girlfriend would visit...with her HUGE water dish...he thought he had a little splashing/swimming pool of his own...never mind the drool that mixed with the nice clean water...A messy...but entertaining...little show.

What a character...

And so, you and Kathy are about to start collecting new tales of kittens and their escapades...NICE.

Love that Max added to your note...sounds like things are going just right for him..and soon hopefully for Jorja too....
And always with a dollop of gratitude, surely, for Miles having paved the inroads to your hearts...
I'm surely inspired by the new developments at your place!

julieandfurbabies

Reply with quote  #92 

I am so glad you have the other kitties.  Our other furbies are little Godsends to help us through our grief and give us something to get out of bed of a morning for.  I am so glad you found your little baby and give it time Max and she will be best friends xxx

Reply with quote  #93 
Just a quick update for all my wonderful friends here ... I'm not ignoring you ... between work, rehearsals for an upcoming local TV show, and Max and Jorja, time in front of a PC when not at work is currently non-existant ... and there's a couple of people sick so work is crazy too ... not getting as much sleep as I need since Jorja arrived ...

My partner and I were up at about 4AM because Jorja was meowing LOUDLY, constantlly and piteously ... but she actually came into the room where she and Max and I were and approached us and let me actually caress her head for a moment or two .... before she took off again. She's moving around in that belly-to-the-ground scared crouch, I can't tell if she's eating or drinking ... but that's some progress.

This just in as I type ... a call from furmom at home ... Jorja is still crying, but she got up on the couch with her ... just for a moment, and when she tried to pet Jorja, she bolted again ... but I'm encouraged!

Max is largely ignoring the proceedings. Max did get into the tub this morning and we played a game Miles and I used to play where he'd dig in the tub while I held a hand for him to brace a back leg against. I'd say "tubtime!" and he'd turn upside down, sideways, all over and dig at the tub in crazy kitty fashion ... exactly as Miles used to. I expected tears, but got a big grin instead. I missed that game in the morning and it's back! ... a perfect little memory and a new joy all at once.

... there's the phone, back to work.

"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me." - Kermit the Frog

"I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." - Gandalf
albee

Reply with quote  #94 
Jorja will find her way...in time...Sounds like she's starting to get the feel of things..
And Max has his own little path...eventually they'll find each other..hopefully...

I am grappling with my own new issues today...Last night I went and picked up Marley(prenamed), a 5month-old grey male kitty...we kept him in the bedroom with us all night...and kept the dogs out...to their enormous chagrin...
Marley scoped things out and then settled into bed with us for the night....oh my...
now I must decide if I really am going to pick up the 3.5-month-old tuxedo male at the vet's office this afternoon...I met him yesterday and he had some very Hendrix moves...and I learned that he's got a taste for shoulder rides...a favorite for my Hendrix...AND when I first sat down beside the cage he was in..he reached out and just rested his paw on my hand...then placed his other front paw on top of that ..and just sat that way for a bit...and it definitely aroused certain Hendrix memories...and had a pretty soulful feel about it...

so...Hank says one is enough but two would be okay too..my decision...and I'm looking down the road not so far to when the Danes will reach their end of days...and thinking that two would be better for if/when our big kids depart...
i guess I'm acutely aware of the impermanence of their lives right now..
and so we shall see...
maybe my next post will be about absorbing two kittens into our lives also...
i'm absolutely stunned that within minutes yesterday i had two phone calls about cats sorely in need of a home...Marley HAD to relocate yesterday...and the tuxedo...well....he definitely left a paw print on me yesterday...truth is I told the vet I'd be back for him...so perhaps there's no actual quandry...oh boy...here we go...

Cried for a while on the way home last night..for my Hendrix...then Marley started crying before he threw up all over the carrier..so we crossed 'long car rides' off his favorite things list...for now..and, I believe with Hendrix's hearty blessing...we ride into the future...
jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #95 
Another phone call from home ...

Jorja has been observed eating ... and climbed onto the couch looking for affection, and stayed! ... breakthrough!

"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me." - Kermit the Frog

heartsick

Reply with quote  #96 
I am so glad about Jorja.
When you can hold her give her a kiss from me and of course kisses to Max too!
Susan

jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #97 
Update:

Jorja has found a new mommy in my partner, hanging out with her, lying on the couch with her, eating and drinking (as long as its next to the couch where she is), head bumping, the works ... but if I enter the room, she runs and hides. I'm not worried, this will change eventually, I'm just so glad to see her (relatively) unafraid, getting nourishment and affection ... and it looks good on her furmom, too! I'm enjoying that as much as the new gang. She really worked on this.

jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #98 
I recruited mom to take a picture of Jorja as she doesn't trust me yet ... so here we have before and after. The one with the pipes is where she spent her first terrified 8 hours, the other is about an hour ago.

Terrified...

http://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/file?id=1162856

Happy!

http://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/file?id=1162857

Attached Images
jpeg Jorja_bathroom_1st_day_sm.JPG (38.57 KB, 20 views)
jpeg Jorja_2_mom_sm.JPG (29.21 KB, 20 views)

Jimbo106

Reply with quote  #99 

Now that's cute! Love hugging the pipes. : )  Both Abby and Casey were pretty shy when they first came home. Casey spent most of the first day behind the couch...so did Abby. They hadn't been abused; they just came from a quiet foster home and the open space probably made them nervous. I asked the vet what I should do..I wanted them to socialize more. She told me to ignore what they say about providing a quiet environment...turn a radio or tv on in every room I could and pick them up even if they didn't seem to want it.In a couple of days they both adjusted to the new home.

Reply with quote  #100 
Jorja is lovely!  She looks something like Marley, who has been with us since Tuesday night.  He has totally folded himself into the household...
then on Friday I brought the tuxedo kitten home..and after 15 minutes of growling and posturing...the two kittens wrestled for hours...stopping briefly to eat...then back at it.  They both climbed into bed with us at various times in the night and when I woke this morning they were both sleeping  under the bed.
The tuxedo is yet unnamed...there are two names floating around...and I'm having a tough time deciding..so for now he's just 'little one'..and he has yet to make peace with the large dogs...so lots of darting under the bed and peeking up from the corner of  the bedskirt...
I'll post photos soon....
Still  missing my Hendrix...having moments of tremendous grief...yet...I think he'd be happy that new kitties have been adopted...still a little weird..though Marley is amazingly sweet and affectionate...and the little guy has sweet moments between his frenetic episodes...
There's a bit of Hendrix in each of them...and plenty of themselves...new chapters in the feline chronicles, I suppose...
Hope Jorja has found her groove...
heartsick

Reply with quote  #101 

Jorja is so very cute. I love the one behind the pipes. I know she was scared but it is a cute photo. I am glad she is coming out of her shell a bit. I can't wait until you can get one of the the two of them together! How cute will that be?! Thank you for everything you have done for me. When you can please give kittie kisses to both of the babies from me.

jphovercraft

Reply with quote  #102 

Going for Walks:

When Miles was just a kitten, we lived in a big old mansion that had been divided up into apartments. 12 foot ceilings, a sun porch, a fireplace, big front yard with big old trees, a back yard with a garden, a well with a hand pump and a goldfish pond ... we'd spend hours exploring the yard and Miles would follow me around ... or I'd follow him around while he chased bugs, explored the raspberry bushes and watched the fish.

Once he was a little older, he began following me on longer walks, finally including the 4 block walk to the corner store. He would walk in the yards and behind the bushes, taking side trips when necessary, but he'd always catch up. Once we reached it, the corner store was across the busy main street. He'd cross side streets on the way, but when we got to the busy crossing, he'd sit down on the porch of the house on his side of the street and wait for me to cross the busy street (smart boy), buy what was needed, cross back over to his side and then we'd walk home togeather. We did this for several years.

We finally bought a house that was on the same side of the street at the other end of the block of the corner store we always went to, but in the opposite direction. Now the corner store was on the same side of the street as our house and only a block away. Now he could go right up to the door and look inside while I got whatever was necessary. Curiosity finally got the better of him and one evening, he walked right in with me. The owners were very kind and allowed Miles to come in and explore. They would talk to him and give him head rubs and pretty soon he felt right at home there. He even began bugging me to take him there after supper every night (he wouldn't go alone, smart boy). On hot summer nights he wouldn't want to leave the air conditioned comfort and would lie down and make himself comfortable on the rug. When it was time to go, I'd call him, but if it was really hot out, he'd give me the "Go right ahead, I'm fine here" look. I'd have to tell him "Don't make me embarass you by having to carry you home" and he'd finally leave with me. This went on for another few years until one day the store went out of business. The closure was followed by weeks of having to go and check to see if it was open again ... he'd look in the windows, paw at the door ... but he finally gave up and stopped wanting to go.

After about another year, a pottery place opened up in the location. I invited Miles to walk down there with me and I introduced us to the new owners and explained Miles' concerns to them. They invited him in to look around and he took them up on it. He checked out every corner of the place, looking at all the changes, noticing that his old friends weren't there any more ... and that was again the last time he wanted to go there. It just wasn't the same any more. We began walking the other way, up to the mailbox through the hedge surrounding the big apartment building next door. Even if there was nothing to mail, we'd go for an evening walk almost every day ... as long as it wasn't raining.

Jimbo106

Reply with quote  #103 

Your's was a perfect story to read tonight!! I love his personality; Miles is one smart guy. Having him go on walks with you...pretty darn special. Didn't know wether to cry or smile...so I did both.

Reply with quote  #104 
I LOVE this Miles story. What a little love and a very smart boy.
Miles loves his daddy!!
heartsick

Reply with quote  #105 
I promised Jim I would find these poems and post them but I thought you might like them also so...

Black Cat   by Rainer Maria Rilke

A ghost, though invisible, still is like a place
your sight can knock on, echoing; but here
within this thick black pelt, your strongest gaze
will be absorbed and utterly disappear:

just as a raving madman, when nothing else
can ease him, charges into his dark night
howling, pounds on the padded wall, and feels
the rage being taken in and pacified.

She seems to hide all looks that have ever fallen
into her, so that, like an audience,
she can look them over, menacing and sullen,
and curl to sleep with them. But all at once

as if awakened, she turns her face to yours;
and with a shock, you see yourself, tiny,
inside the golden amber of her eyeballs
suspended, like a prehistoric fly.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.