elliemeewiz
This was the one week anniversary for Wiz, last Thurs we took him to the dvm and he went to heaven in the late afternoon/early evening. I'm so devastated and felt much worse today, especially when I woke up after dinner and kept thinking I'll go up to bed with Wiz. Someone told me I should get a new kitten/cat soon because it will help. I looked at some kitties at petco but I just don't feel ready. They will never be like him, I Just want him back. I'm at a stage and age where I was happy with just him- I would've been happy to have one more and I would have loved them too of course but he was it for me. 
My beloved sweet Tess August 1999 - February 21 2001
My beloved loyal Byron March 1998 - April 28 2008
My sweet beloved girlie Angelina April 2001- September 2012
Me & my sweet beloved Wizberry forever 1998- April 21, 2016
My sweet beloved Snow Goddess Sybil girlie April 2001- May 11,2018
Quote 0 0
et61
So sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved cat, Sweetie, after only six short years. He was a stray that came into my house and into my heart. We live on a farm so people dump cats all the time and have 9 now but NONE will take the place of Sweetie in my heart. It was harder a few days later after his passing because I realized he is not coming back home and it hurts more than I even imagined. While I have the other cats and 2 dogs, I still miss my boy. Do not get a kitten/cat right away, IMO, until some time has passed and mourn the loss of your friend. You will always compare him to Wiz. In time you may want to get another animal but please give yourself some time. Hugs to you.
Quote 0 0
camunki
this is all so new for you, on the grieving path. Yes, getting a new kitten will help, but it has to be the right timing for you, you will know when that time is right. And your Wiz will never ever be replaced, you have to think about giving love to another animal/kitten/cat who needs the love.

Cam

Quote 0 0
Bailey15
One week - anniversaries are always tough but this has to be so painful! Your loss is still so fresh. I think people mean well but they don't always realize that you can't just replace your beloved companion animal. Give yourself the time you need to grieve. You will know in your heart when the time is right. Meanwhile have you tried journaling? Someone suggested it to me after Bailey died and I found it very helpful. I picked out a special journal and entitled it : " I Remember You" and I wrote to him whenever I felt sad or lonely.
Thinking of you and wishing you peace!
MJ
Quote 0 0
CK1991
One week is such a short time. It must seem like your baby was just here with you.
My deepest sympathies!
CK
Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
Thanks everyone, it does seem like he was just here, because he was :-( I'm still in shock.. I will reply more later, just going to eat my dinner. I think it is way too soon for a  new furbaby for sure. I can barely keep my thoughts straight without my wizberry. 
Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
You are are right e61.. I would just compare him to wiz and it would not be good... so sorry about Sweetie, I can tell how much you loved him and how great he was... sorry that you had six short years but there was a whole lot of love at least in that time.. not that it makes the pain less... Bailey's mom... I have journaled a lot after other events.. I had stopped and then started when byron died and then after a breakup, always writing to him.. then when angie died I tried again, but I was in such a shock I never got the momentum going.. now I just feel in too much pain to even do that... I can't seem to feel anything a lot of the time and then I'm overwhelmed with it... I can't believe my baby boy is gone forever... I do talk to him a lot though, just like he is still here... maybe I'm going crazy. I feel very odd.... like maybe I'm not going to make it through... with Angie I felt terrified and I was sobbing non stop a lot of the time.. Wiz got me through it... I had to get a clock that had sounds to even be able to sleep and Wiz and I spooned etc. Now I just hug a little pillow and pretend it's him.  

Sybil is upset and I wonder if it would be better for her to have a companion though, although she prolly should've been a single cat due to her territorial/peeing issues. 

Camunki, I'm not sure if I want a new kitten or cat.. I just want my wiz back with me... that had been my plan, but now that he's gone the thought of it seems painful. I think I do, but obviously now is too soon. After Tess passed I waited 6 months... we had Byron then at that time. 

CK, I'm afraid to get to that point.. although at times even this soon I feel like I can't remember him.. it's crazy... and frightening.
Quote 0 0
Jimbo106
Thank You for stopping in to see Jamie! As you may have guessed, she is the cat that caused me to love cats. I also hugged a pillow at first, since Jamie always snuggled me.
People, if they even mentioned Jamie's passing, kept telling me just to adopt right away. Well....that does not make the loss any less. I adopted Abby and Casey about a month after...but just because it felt like the right time for me. All we can do is what feels right for each of us.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Enough so that more Kleenex gave their all while I read about Wiz.

Jim 
Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
Thanks Jim,  You're welcome, she is a beauty in every way, and I'm glad that she made you love cats :-) They are truly amazing, all of them, so regal and strong and unique... I think Tess was my first love of my life cat who made me feel that, she was so special and never needed a carrier except at the dvm... she went nearly everywhere with me and also slept by me and hugged me at night with her paws in mine etc.

So kind of you to give me some comfort... I agree, my father was talking about adopting a kitten because he knows how hard this is for me and he thought it would make it easier. I told him no, I'm not ready yet and a kitten will never replace my Wizberry.

I need to process all of this first if I can.. hopefully in time I will feel able to share my love again when I'm ready... right now I just feel a little crazy from everything because Wiz was my main support in dealing with chronic illness.  

Plus we still have Syb and I'm trying to help her with her grief too while feeling so exhausted myself. I just don't want to be around people too much at times.

And I have realized the numbness is part of a protective thing our body and mind does during grief to protect us from being overwhelmed by pain. Thank god for that because it would just be unbearable if there weren't periods of relief. 
Quote 0 0