Jish
hello everyone, this is my first post not sure if it will help but i decided to give it a shot.

i just had another session of crying over the loss of my dog. he passed away a little over a year ago and i still find myself crying often. i know there’s no set time one’s suppose to grieve but i’ve been feeling like i should talk to someone about this.

i think there’s a support group at a humane society near me, not sure if i should give it a shot.
i keep remembering his last days, last moments i was with him. apart of me feels like it’s hard to remember how he looked like and that hurts me.

i think one of the main reasons i started crying this time is because i might be moving soon and it feels like im going to have to say goodbye to all the memories with him that were in this house. im not sure if we’ll take his old bed with us, something is telling me that we won’t and im not sure if that’s a good or bad thing.

thank you to anyone reading <3
Quote 0 0
Zeke1_
Hi Jish- I hope posting on this site helps you somewhat. I believe it helps me knowing I’m not crazy with the grieve I feel and I hope that gives you solace as well. (Although I never leave the site not in tears) it has been 5 months since I lost my Zeke and I still cry everyday even if just a few tears. This with having another new dog that loves me and forces me to open my heart to him. I don’t think we will ever get over that special “one”. With my new dog , he got a new bed and Zeke’s was put in a safe place. I still lay my head on it sometimes when the wave comes over me. My advice for what it is worth is to keep your dogs bed and take it with you. You can always get rid of it later when you feel the time is right but you cannot get it back if you leave it and regret it later. Wishing you peace of heart someday. Ted
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Jish:

I am so sorry to hear about your beloved dog passing. Although it's been over a year for you, the idea that you still cry over him is just a wonderful testament to your unwavering, forever love for him. There is no expiration date or timetable on grieving. You will handle it as you go along. Take all the time that you need to process your loss and don't let anyone tell you differently. You mentioned something about a support group at your local Humane Society. Might not be a bad idea to attend a meeting. If you don't like it or feel uncomfortable you can always leave. I think that most people involved with the Humane Society tend to be good, caring, compassionate people who really love their pets. If you do decide to attend a meeting please let us know how it went. We all understand what you are going through. I grieve about my dog each and every day. It's OK to acknowledge those feelings. It shows that you are healing.

All the best,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Josh,

I still cry too my friend. It's been just over 6 months for me.

What has helped me is to just feel very, very humbled and grateful for having ever crossed paths with my lost beloved in the first place. It has helped me to continue to heal. Just deeply acknowledge the pain & loss, by being truly humbled and grateful. And ask for mercy. You will receive a response. Watch.

Kind regards and my sincerest condolences.,
James
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Dear Jish, I am so sorry about the passing of your dog.

I'll let you into a secret (well, it's not a secret here!) I still sometimes have nights when I cry over missing my Misty girl. I even got a touch of that last night, and got out of bed with a wet face to have a coffee early a.m.
And Misty has been gone seven and a half years now.

We all deal with mourning them in different ways, but we all carry them with us in our Hearts, and yes, sometimes there are some tears. As well as the loving memories. I will carry my girl in my Heart until I meet her again in the next world. And what a happy day that will be !

But yes we all get those awful sad nights. We all understand and are here with you, going through the same thing.
Bless your dog, and you.

Oh...and it depends how you feel about mementoes, but if it were me, I would have to take the bed with me, no matter who said what. Unless you already have other things, such as a blanket with his scent, or happy memories?

I kept all of my girl's things. Her blankets she used in the car -are still in the car, and travel with me wherever I go. The scent has faded now but I still keep them next to me on the seat, and move them to the back when anyone wants to sit there.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Pennienewman
Dear Josh
So sorry to hear that you lost your dog and the pain you feel. I lost my pony just over a year ago and still have painful days. You talk about seeing someone. Talking on here first maybe just what you need but maybe to physically meet people too might help you. I wish I had some sort of group nearby when it happened to me. Forums kept me going and they certainly helped ease my pain.
I certainly wouldn’t leave or get rid of anything if you have the slightest doubt. You can pack things away and they will always be there but once they are gone they are gone. When my pony died, a while afterwards, I sold one of her rugs. Once it had gone, I panicked. Why did I even sell it, it was my favourite and reminded me of her. What I did do, was ask for it back, yes I did and the lady was kind enough to give it back. I was so relieved! I made that rug into cushions, throws and other things. It has brought me so much comfort.
I hope talking here as helped you a little. Maybe you would be able to talk about your dog or share some pictures? I wrote about my pony and my grief..

https://beautifulmo.simdif.com/managing-grief.html

Hugs xx
Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation
Author Unknown  - adapted from Kahil Gilbran

Quote 0 0
Jish
hi everyone, thank you for your kind messages.

ted, i appreciate your advice. you made a good point, i’ll make sure to keep my dog’s bed. i also got a new pet a couple months ago, sometimes i wish the two got to meet ...

jim, your comment has changed my perspective a bit, “the idea you still cry over him is just a wonderful testament to your unwavering, forever love for him.”
i never thought about it that way and i think that’s a beautiful way to see it. thank you : )
about the support groups, i’ve been feeling like i need a friend to come with me as extra support but at the same time i’d feel awkward expressing my emotions in front of them. there’s something about talking to people who don’t know you that makes it easier.

james, thank you for your thoughts. i’ll take your advice into consideration. sincere condolences as well.

@mistysmama
there’s this funny but wholesome video where someone pretends they just got into heaven and begins to ask god where there dog is at. the dog then comes out running and they play together. i think about that video a lot, fondly..
i do like mementos. i have a key chain that has his name on it and also got his paw print.
i bought my dog a big pink pig teddy bear before he died and he used to play with it a lot. my mom wanted to throw it out and i cried because his death was still recent. i understand the toy was all ripped up but i still wish she didn’t throw it out..
thank you for your advice.

pennie, i’m glad to hear that the lady was nice and understanding enough to give it back. i wouldn’t know what I’d do if that happened. i do have doubts so i have decided that I’ll just keep it. hopefully my mom will be understating.
i find it so sweet that you made a whole website dedicated to your pony. i almost started tearing up reading through it. all your mementos that you made about or for her are all beautiful.
i planted a seed a year ago after my dog’s death. even the days when i feel okay, i acknowledge him and all the memories for a brief second before i walk into my home.
i think that’s a great idea, talking about my dog. i have actually written a little personal narrative about him, not sure if i should link that or make a completely separate post talking about him.

thank you again to everyone who has replied.
Quote 0 0