Attiesmom
One month ago today I lost my beautiful baby girl Attie.  She was a 5 1/2 year old german shepherd/pit bull/black lab mix that I rescued when she was 8 weeks old.  Attie was a huge momma's girl and I miss her so very much.  She was always by my side or waiting for me to get home.  On Sat, Jan 9th we were meeting my oldest daughter about 3 hrs from our home to watch my grandson play in the snow for the first time (today also happens to be my grandson's 2nd birthday).  We took the dogs (we also have a 3 1/2 year old black lab) because they love to play in the snow and we always took them everywhere with us....they were our kids.  We had just gotten to the area where we pulled over...it was pretty much out in the middle of nowhere on a little road.  There were a few other cars pulled over with people playing out in the snow.  We had only been there a couple of minutes before tragedy struck.  My husband took the dogs over to the other side of the road.  He didn't put them on their leashes because we really were in the middle of nowhere and surely on this little road with people playing in the snow cars would be driving slow, right?  Wrong.  Attie always waited for me and when I didn't go with them she turned back for me....at the exact wrong time.  My husband yelled Attie No....but when Attie was on a mission to get to me she never listened to him.  It happened so fast...and the car was speeding.  I saw and heard every single bit of it and haven't stopped seeing it yet.  My poor baby....she was hit and then thrown another 20 feet.  She didn't have a scratch on her but I think her neck was broken.  My son got to her first and picked her up....she wasn't gone yet and we went racing back to the truck to try and get her help, but as soon as we got there I saw the life leave her eyes.  I cannot begin to tell you how devastated I've been since then.  I have not stopped crying yet.  We had her cremated and she is back home with us.  This all happened a week before I was starting my forth semester of nursing school....it's my last and the hardest.  Needless to say I have not been able to concentrate or focus on studying and am amazed I even passed my first test yesterday let alone with a B. 

Sorry this was so long.  I just needed to get it all out....as I sit here crying still with my beautiful boy Cody by my side.  He has never known life alone and has been very depressed since losing his big sister....he loved her. 

I am torn now too.  I want Attie back so badly and never thought I would get another dog but found one in the animal shelter that for some reason I was instantly drawn to.  I told everyone that when the time and dog was right Attie would let me know.  So is this it?  I don't know why I was so drawn to this puppy.  I saw her last Wed on the website and before we could get there she was adopted.  Well on Sunday she was brought back.  Is this my sign from Attie?  I hate feeling like I'm "replacing" her because she can never be replaced.  Is it too soon?  I just don't know.  I would give anything to have Attie back.  I am just so completely devastated without her.

Thank you for listening.
Quote 0 0
River
I still cry every day for my 18 month old lab that was hit and killed by a car 10 weeks ago. It is such a devastating loss and I am so sorry that you are experiencing this sorrow. My baby was with my daughter, and died 10 minutes before arriving at the emergency animal hospital. We met them there but it was too late to say goodbye. We too have another dog and waited only 9 days before deciding to bring home another pup to help our Shadow cope with his grief. I knew that I would continue to grieve for my little River, but like you, I understood that I would be able to love the new pup and that he was not a 'replacement'. I also knew how much River would have loved him too. We will always love and miss our babies.
Quote 0 0
gkacich
I lost my little Yorkie, Albert, yesterday at about 7 pm. Like yours, my loss was tragic and unexpected. Albert was 10, but acted more like 3. He was in excellent health -- feisty, agile, athletic -- with the typical Yorkie "I'm in charge" attitude.

Last night I took him out to potty, and when he walked back to me, his tummy had been lacerated (probably by an opossum's claw) and his innerds were sticking out. I rushed him to the ER and they put together a plan that included transferring him to a university hospital nearly two hours away. Albert was in shock. Even though he was stabilized, and my husband had no problem with the cost, I couldn't bear what was in store for Albert - less than 5% chance of survival, multiple surgeries, muscle grafts, certain infection, and months (not days) of recovery.

I just couldn't put my baby through that. I let him go.

I'm second guessing my decision, feeling a lot of guilt, and this aching in my heart just won't subside. I'm 55 and Albert was my first dog! He was our baby boy.

So Albert is with River and Attie now. Are these feelings of grief, loss, guilt and pain normal? I'm useless.

Gail

Quote 0 0
rneuner64
When we took Tig to the vet on saturday morning, our Dr told us it was best for us to wait a while to get the smell of our baby out of the house since he was very ill at the end...i may end up waiting till about april (my birthday) to think about another cat(s) or maybe a dog this time (who knows). when i tried to discuss it with my wife she said if i brought another animal into the house she would move out, later she clarified that she thought i meant going and getting a new pet this week. That is something i cannot and will not do, as it would be disrespectful to my baby's memory...
Quote 0 0
Attiesmom
I am so sorry for your losses of Albert, River and Tig.  I think only another animal lover could possibly understand the devastation and hurt we feel when we lose our furbabies.  It's been 5 weeks now and I still cry every single day.  I would love to be able to hold her again and see her excited tail wagging when I would walk through the door.

I don't know if it was Attie that sent Riley or not but on Wednesday we ended up with a puppy.  It's not technically ours but could soon be.  She is about 3 months old and possibly a yellow lab/pit mix.  She was found wandering around in a park over a week ago.  I have tried to find her owners and have not succeeded....she isn't chipped and had no name tag on.  I have placed ads, drove around the area where she was found looking for posters and nothing.  So for now Riley is here keeping Cody company...and it's looking more and more like she'll be staying, but it's not making me miss Attie any less.
Quote 0 0
gkacich

Wow! This sounds absolutely healthy. You have love to give, despite and amidst your grieving your sweet Attie. Your generosity in helping this little sweet Riley in no way lessens your love for Attie nor your respect for her memory. I know this must sound trite, but...."better to have loved and lost..."  My husband has been teary for the past 3 days. I had NO IDEA he was so attached to Albert. What this shows me is that Albert wound his way around everyone's heart. Our grief is directlyproportional to the intensity of our love. Do let us know how it works out with Riley and whether you decide to keep her. (I'd place bets you do!) Thank you for your words.

Quote 0 0