kurbanski
its been 5 months since i lost sandy, she was the only living thing i can honestly say i loved unconditionally, that i loved without thought, she was and is still the only thing i have truly loved. dont get me wrong, i love my family, my friends, my other pets but sandy was the one special love.
i have two other pets, ricky a chihuahua thats roughly 14 y in age, and dave a orange tabby cat that’s roughly 4 y in age.
i knew i couldnt live long without at least two dogs, i had ricky and sandy together for 10 years, ricky is still incredibly active for an older dog and does well having a friend around and the cat does not want to be his friend!
august 2nd, i adopted banjo, a chihuahua terrier mix from a rescue organization here in florida. he was described as a runner, shy, timid, skittish, just completing heartworm treatment and his foster family states he was likely dumped by his owners and probably hit a lot by them causing him to be so skittish.
the first weekend banjo broke his leash (luckily in my fenced yard but my yard is still an acre) and it was a chase around my yard in the pouring rain and mud before he reluctantly ran into my house. he wouldn’t come near us, would shrink down and cower when we would approach, or he would run across the room. i thought it would take months to get this little guy to even sit near us. we adopted him on a friday and by monday i was tripping over him because he wouldnt leave my feet, he would follow us room to room, sit next to us, roll around on his back, playfully nipping at the air to get your attention.
now it hasnt even been a full month and he totally runs this house, he has absolutely no fear with us, he has started breaking his car fear (they think he associates cars with being dumped) and walks beautifully on a leash. he goes for a 6 month heartworm check in november and i’m hopeful since he seems to be happy and healthy, active and eating, he was stage 1 so im hoping they were able to kill whatever was there and the monthly prevention will handle the rest. i think by the end of the year we can possibly break his stranger anxiety.
i didnt think i could ever move on from sandy, which i havent, i still cry over her, all the time! i adopted banjo for selfish reasons, my dog ricky sleeps with another family member so my room remained empty since sandy left, and that emptiness made me sad. i thought having a dog there at night would ease my pain, and i knew selfish reasons or not we could provide for him and love him.
im glad i didnt wait to adopt another dog, i know for everyone it is so different, i honestly thought i wont adopt again for a long time but 5 months was long enough. i miss sandy every day and i dont think that connection i had with her will ever come again but i got a hell of a lot of
love to give and i got 3 rambunctious babies at home that have to deal with it!
thanks for this forum, when sandy passed it really helped, i didn't want to confide in my friends or family, i didnt want that pat on the back telling me it was ok, i needed connection with people who knew the love and loss and the pain that came with it.
ill visit this forum occasionally, check in, give my love to those who need it, be that person who understands but im also going to go selfishly live my life with my new guy, banjo, and his brothers ricky and dave.

thanks xoxoxo

if you live in the orlando area, or its surrounding area, check out poodle and pooch rescue, they are a organization that rescues mainly smaller dogs (they just rescued some 70 dogs from a backyard breeder) and they place the dogs with foster families until ready for adoption.
Quote 0 0
pannklaus
I am glad that you are on the road to being better and that this forum was helpful when you lost Sandy.   Of course you still miss Sandy and no other dog will replace her.  But by adopting you now have another dog with his own unique personality.  And you are providing a loving home for Banjo who needed one after having been so badly mistreated in the past.  It isn't selfish to enjoy your three lively babies, even though you miss the special love you had with Sandy.  It is great that you are able to go on with your life to a greater degree than some people are able to do.  We all move through the grief process in different ways and at different speeds.  It is good to hear when someone is having success in getting through the process.
Patsy
Quote 0 0
kurbanski
pannklaus wrote:
I am glad that you are on the road to being better and that this forum was helpful when you lost Sandy.   Of course you still miss Sandy and no other dog will replace her.  But by adopting you now have another dog with his own unique personality.  And you are providing a loving home for Banjo who needed one after having been so badly mistreated in the past.  It isn't selfish to enjoy your three lively babies, even though you miss the special love you had with Sandy.  It is great that you are able to go on with your life to a greater degree than some people are able to do.  We all move through the grief process in different ways and at different speeds.  It is good to hear when someone is having success in getting through the process.

i appreciate you taking time to respond and thank you for that. grief is such a fickle process and you never really know when it will end, im glad i was able to accept another dog into my life and its helped me in tremendous ways.

hope all is well with you.
xxxx
Quote 0 0