Lamont Show full post »
Lamont
Sharon, Silvia, Robert, Catie and all.

I got the boat on the car, with my handydandy wind up thing, drove to the lake, found a way paddle along the shoreline, with the wind, all the way around. I brought 2 fly rods, rigged one for bass, the other for the pathetic planted trout. I caught and released a few fish, but when the wind came up, and a few raindrops began to fall. I made a hasty course along the tules, and was able get ahead of the really strong onshore breezes. (this lake is close to the ocean and there is always a west to east breeze late in the day.
I was pretty worn out by the time I got the boat out and back on the car, and took a cat nap before heading home. Not too blue today, but there is still time for a total breakdown, but probably not. 
I made a pot of expresso, and found myself looking at Manx cat rescues.... No, I am not there, yet, but it's always good to know where to find one if you need one. 
This has been a better day than yesterday, that's all I want right now. Thanks for your support!
Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0
AvySparkles
Lamont, I am so glad to see you were able to enjoy a day out of the house and with nature. Nothing better to ground our spirit then nature and to heal as well. I took a day off from work today and slept until 2 pm, stomach issues. I guess this was well needed to be at home and take it slow. Before grocery, I went to the pet rescue center and took this adorable baby cat in my arms, a little mid-long black cat named Diablo. He was adorable and kept giving me kisses. This fur baby was just all that I needed and it lifted my spirit. I am too not ready yet, but I know Diablo will find his perfect house real soon. He was so adorable. Today is the candle ceremony for Junior in here and I got his paw print as well, on the way back home. It's a special day and given 2 weeks ago was his last day on earth, this is very symbolic. 

I wish you a good night and an even better day tomorrow. Sending you tons of support. 
Avy Sparkles
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
Lamont...I used to fish a lot, so understand the peace that can come with it.

I have started looking online at rescue dogs, and a few breeders, but feel I am at least a few months away. For me,  I have to take small steps - thus I start looking long before I actually take an action.

My roommate has two cats, and they were playing in paper bags today and chasing each other. I teased one of them in the paper bag, by poking the top of it while she was in it. Made me laugh! I still prefer dogs over cats but love all animals.
Missing and loving Scooter Forever
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
ForMitookie_03
Lamont,

So glad you got out today.  At least to get your mind off of things if only for a little while.  I had a couple of friends drag me out to the movies a week after Mitookie passed.  I was adamant I did not want to go, but decided to try it and found that it made me feel better even for just 2 hours.  Came home and cried, but hey, I got out of the house.  Things are so much better now.  For the first few weeks all I did was look at Siamese cat rescue sites online but I knew I'd never go there, simply because the time wasn't right and I don't know if it will ever be.  Hopefully when your wife returns things will get a bit easier.  Still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope your tomorrow is even better than today!

Marina
Marina ~ Mitookie's Mom
Quote 0 0
Lamont
Marina, well I am still plodding along. Life has sort of settled down again. Still at bedtime, I miss my little friend. That was always her favorite time. She'd round us up like we were her kids, and get us off to bed, where she could curl up between us and make sure we fell asleep. 
It's a really empty time of day.
And, like you, I have been looking at rescues, so many kitties that need a home, and the older ones who've become homeless are the saddest of all. It just kills me that anyone would just give up an animal who was devoted to them. Hard to take.
Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Lamont, I'm glad to read that things are some better. But I know that life stays hard for a long time. 

That is really something, the way she would herd you into bed. Such a clever girl, with personality! 

I do hear you about the way certain times are extra hard. One of mine is coming home.

It is wonderful that you are encouraging your heart in looking at kitties who need rescue. 

Thoughts are with you!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Lamont
Coming home is one for me, too.
My little dog in a cat suit, would be at the window, waiting for me. And always wanted me to roll around on the living room rug to celebrate my homecoming. Silly girl loved to lick my head and face, like a dog.
Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0
ForMitookie_03
Hi Lamont,

You and Catie have pegged my two worst times as well.  Coming home and going to bed.  Mitookie was so vocal that dinner time was always fun too.  Today a friend told me about a kitty looking for a new home and I just couldn't do it.  I'm nowhere near ready.  I know it will happen one day.  When the time is right I think I will know it.  I think you will too.  Bertie was so unique, she will be a tough act to follow.  Take care of yourself and have a good week!

Hugs,

Marina
Marina ~ Mitookie's Mom
Quote 0 0
Lamont

Marina
I've been looking online at the 1000's of cats, and dogs that have landed in shelters and it just boggles my mind that there are so many older, mature animals who've basically become homeless. You can see the bewilderment, fear in their photos.
It crushes me that there are so many people who just walk away from a pet. Sure there are a few good excuses, you died, or ended up homeless yourself, but I can't imagine ever handing a pet over to the pound or abandoning it under any circumstance.
I would find a way to keep it, somehow, and if I were dying, I'd make arrangements for my pets to have a home even if it meant my kids wouldn't get squat from my modest estate. (Do I even have an estate?)

I won't be able to adopt until sometime this Fall, as we are on the road much of this year, and I cant see leaving a newly adopted animal with a sitter so soon. Some cats are pretty independent and can get along OK for 2 days or so, but many, that have health issues or special feeding requirements shouldn't be left to fend for themselves.
Dogs just cant so that, either, so if we adopt a dog, it either goes with us or has to stay with caring people. I don't trust most boarding places, and they often are the source of contagious diseases. So if we do get a pooch, it's a different level of comittment, plus I have never heard of a litter box trained dog...😉
Years ago, I had dogs, and being a self employed hippie, my dog went to work with me and everywhere else. Plus I had parents that loved dogs. Cats may be a little easier in some ways, but have their own issues, and many of them get lonely, just like dogs.

But those shelter animals...dam, if I could adopt 10 of them, I would do it. I 'd love to be able to take in all the older ones, who are the least likely to find a new home. They deserve better than they often get.

Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0