andreena
It's been nearly four weeks since I had to put my beautiful boy to sleep.
It was all unexpected and I still cry most days.

Luca was such an amazing dog/companion that I don't believe I'll ever get over losing him.

I bought him for my Husband who was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2005 and had to give up work due to his illness, I thought a dog would be great company for him. I brought Luca into our lives in 2006 at 10 weeks old. From that day onwards I found an amazing friend. He was such a beautiful timid, shy and loving dog, we fell in love with him straight away. He slotted straight into our family. I have two sons who are now 18 and 15. We all loved Luca dearly.

In July Luca began to lose weight and went off his food. He also started with vomiting and diarreah. We took him to the vets and he was given anti biotics for what was thought was a bug. He never got any better and it was just a nightmare from that point. He was extremely poorly and we was to find out he had cancer. He was wasting away before our eyes, it was awful to watch him suffer. On the 9th of August, we made the hardest decision of our lives to put him to sleep and my heart was broke.

The gap left without him is somedays unbearable, he never left my side and I feel totally lost without him. I never imagined how intense the pain from losing him would be. I can't get the picture out of my head of his last few days and how poorly he became, it just breaks my heart. I just hope we did everything we could for him. My husband and children seemed to be coping better than I am. I hope you do t mind me sharing my story.

Thank you for listening and what an amazing place for support it is.
a williams
Quote 0 0
AllysMom
Andreena,

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your Luca.  I had to put my sweet Ally to sleep on August 7 because she too had cancer - lung cancer.  Like you, I can still see so clearly the images of her during her final days when she felt so bad.  It breaks my heart that we didn't know sooner what was happening to her.  Ally had other issues like pancreatitis that we had been dealing with and we thought when this started that her feeling bad was due to the pancreatitis or other G.I. issues she had.  It wasn't until the last days that we knew it was cancer.  Ally was always by my side too, she was like my shadow, and not having her follow me through the house now is so sad and so hard to adjust to her not being here.  She liked to lay on one of the stairs in the house and we had to be careful and not step on her.  Every time I look at that stair, I can still see her and wish that she was there - just one more time.

I thought by now the pain would begin to subside, but it hasn't.  It still feels as raw as it did on August 7.  Hopefully, we will get through this in time and will be able to think of Luca and Ally and smile.

I will keep you in my thoughts and I hope your days are better soon.

Ally's Mom
Quote 0 0
AlexxApplePiee
I'm sorry to hear that, my 16 week old yorkie just passed. We got her for my Mom shortly after she was diagnosed with MS. My prayers are with you and your family.

"I will always remember the puppy who has taught me that not all relationships are meant to last forever. Sometimes, just an hour is enough to touch your heart."
Quote 0 0
AnnieBirdseed
Oh what a beautiful little face.  Even though you only had her a short time, it is very clear that
she knows she was dearly loved  I'm so sorry you only got to be together for a little while but
as you said, the length of time doesn't determine the level of love.  You will always love her and
she knows she has a place in your heart.  Love never dies.  It simply isn't possible.  Through all
of life and living, from the animals to everything that is existing on this earth, there is evidence of love.
When you're ready, in honor of this beautiful girl, I hope you will give another dog a home.

Quote 0 0
Elaineh62
Andreena,  I am so sorry for your loss.  I know what Luca  meant to you and your family.  I have been searching for any kind of comfort to my loss and just started reading "Cold Noses at the Pearly Gates" by Gary Kurz.   It is helping me so much, just knowing I will see my Nino again is the only thing keeping me going.  Keep reaching out,  we are all here for you. God Bless
Elaine Harris
Quote 0 0
andreena
Than you all so much for the kind words.

Ally's mum- it's such a fast developing disease, that you just don't have the time to get your head round the whole thing. They become a shadow of their former selfs and it's so heartbreaking to witness them suffer. I wish I could
shake those images of his final days from my head but I just can't.

Alexxapplepie- she is just beautiful. I do believe in the saying, that it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

They really do become our best friends. We could be having a bad day and coming home to them always just seems to make everything better! I miss that so much.

I do want to get another dog but I think I need time to grieve for Luca first. But we've got so much love to offer a dog has a family it would be mad not to get another.
a williams
Quote 0 0
Bear_Bear
Andreena, very sorry to hear about Luca.  You clearly loved your baby very very much.
Robin Adrian "Little Bear"s Mom
Please sign my baby's guestbook?
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/ROBIN001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0