Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Goatdog

Reply with quote  #1 

R.I.P. Maximus 8 Nov 2001 - 13 Mar 2010

Early this afternoon my wife called me (I'm 500 miles away doing some work) and told me Max was limping and there was a strange twitch visible on his abdomen. A month ago he left the vet with basically a clean bill of health.

My wife took him to the pet ER. He wagged his tail when he saw the leash, but you could tell he wasn't well. A couple xrays was all it took. Tumors had filled his insides and he had a few painful days to live at most.

The doctor did what was necessary and Kristy scratched his head and told him how goofy he was and how much we loved him. He went in peace. I didn't get to say goodbye. He had so much life left in him.

I love you and I'm sorry I couldn't be there to scratch your big old head in your final hour. Your unquestionable loyalty and quirkish antics will forever be in my heart. Wherever old goatdogs go when they die, I hope you get the warmest pillow, the tastiest kibble, and the squeakiest toy. So long my old friend. I'll miss you.

nicokudo

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so sorry about your Maximus. It is so difficult to say good-bye to a precious boy that has been such a part of our lives.  What a handsome boy!  He has such beautiful eyes!!!

Karen

Goatdog

Reply with quote  #3 

Thank you very much Karen.

heather16

Reply with quote  #4 
I am so sorry for your loss, i know how you feel its the worst feeling in the world. I am going through the same thing right now and its SO hard. I have this knot in my stomach that just wont go away. I put my cat to sleep early thursday morning the 11th. It really helps to read what other people have wrote and to know that people are feeling the same as you are right now. I'm hoping soon the grief will turn to happiness and warmth when i look at her pictures. And i hope the same for you, remember everyone here is here for you and knows what you are going through 
Goobiesbf

Reply with quote  #5 
Look at that face!  Max was truly a well-loved and a very loving dog.  I'm so sorry that he's gone from your life but he'll be with you in spirit until you meet again.  The first days without them, missing them, can be very painful.  How's Kristy doing?  She shouldered an awfully big burden.  She must be a gem of a person.  Hugs to both of you during this difficult time for you.
nalasmom

Reply with quote  #6 

What a loving tribute.  What a face.  Obviously a character and very happy to be with the person who took the photo.   I am sorry for you and your family and that you could not be there with them. 

buddy44

Reply with quote  #7 
So sorry for your loss.  Such nice words about Max and such a handsome boy.  You were lucky to have each other.  Remember all the good times you had with him and take care.
Goatdog

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you everybody. Three days now and it isn't any easier for me. Kristy and I have been crying on the phone to each other. Of our six children, the youngest doesn't understand and the oldest, grown and on his own, is taking it the hardest.

Chicken, our cat and Max's best friend, just keeps crying now. He never cries. His pal is missing and he wants us to know it and go find him.
nalasmom

Reply with quote  #9 

I totally understand your situation.  My husband and I cried for days after we said goodbye to our 15 1/2 year old girl.  We still have our moments.  And we weren't the only ones - her kitty of 13 years, was despondent.  She became very clingy; following me everywhere, very vocal and wont leave the house.   It's been 3 weeks and we finally took our cat to the vet yesterday because we became concerned that she might be sick herself since behavior had changed so much and has not returned to 'normal'.  Thankfully she checked out with a clean bill of health.  The vet said she is going through her own version of depression and needs time too.  I guess no matter where you fit into the animal kingdom time is the only cure for grief.

JoeysMom

Reply with quote  #10 
Max was a beauty! Do you mind if I ask what kind of cancer he had? My 10-year old pug Joey had to be put down last Tuesday- he had hemangiosarcoma, which is a cancer of the lining of the blood vessels. It's sometimes called the "silent killer", because a dog can be healthy one day and gone the next. Joey's case was atypical because it wasn't on his heart or spleen, but up near his thyroid. When we got the biopsy results we were told he had about three months left, and that's what we got.
It really helped my kids to have a residency page made for Joey. We are also planning a memorial garden around his favorite "pee-tree", and the kids are raising money and collecting toys to donate to our local animal shelter in Joey's name. You may want to have each of your kids write a letter to Max expressing their feelings for him.
It's going to be very hard on you when you get back home-- just know that there are a lot of people praying for you, your family and Max.
Take care~

Goatdog

Reply with quote  #11 
It was hemangiosarcoma. In early Feb he was just fine at his annual. By the time symptoms showed last week, he had days to live.

I got home a couple days ago and we had a good cry, but healing is taking place. We've even discussed what kind of dog we'll get next, but it makes us sad to do so.
dalmatian

Reply with quote  #12 

We lost maximillion last sept.2nd to AIHA.  Two months of an merry go round that you couldn't get off of no mattter how you tried.  I AM THE ONE THAT  had him put to sleep for he no longer had white blood cells to fight Infection. He had to go for his life was going down-hill at the age of 5&1/2. My husband called me horrible names and threw things at me. What I did for max i would do for any animal. If I can cut out the suffering, I will. He went thu so much to surive.Yes, finally I put an end to all of the test and the blood transfusions, the pills and the special diets. The sleep-less nights, the weight loss, the crying on his part and mine. The finall good-byes!!  I pray for for forgiveness & then some . Marty  

dalmatian

Reply with quote  #13 

I had a cat that had the same condition some time ago.  We went a-head and had the surgery. She died of the cancer 9months later. Some times you just have to let go. None of us live for-ever rather you be humane or aimal. The pain of loosing either is great.  You just have to move forward no matter how hard It gets.

Goatdog

Reply with quote  #14 

Thanks for the kind words. Dalmatian, I am sorry you were second-guessed. I cannot fathon the idea of watching Max struggle with pain and misery. He had days left. We did the right thing.

JoeysMom

Reply with quote  #15 
Dear Marty-
I'm so sorry for the guilt you are feeling but you absolutely did the right thing. Before I put Joey down two weeks ago somebody told me that putting an animal out of his misery isn't something you do TO it, it's something you do FOR it. We should all be so lucky as to have a peaceful end to sickness and pain. You know that you did everything you could for Maximillan.
Remember- God always answers our prayers. Sometimes he just says "No".m

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.