LindaC528
I just put my sweet AnnaBelle down on Monday. In 2002 I got her and her brother Tanner together at the shelter, they were already a year old and from the same litter. I thought "this is great, a brother & sister born together, to keep each other company when I'm not home." Then I thought, "It'll be so sad when the first one goes since they've always known each other." So I have had them both for 12 years now.

A week or so ago, suddenly AnnaBelle was not there when I was scooping out their breakfast, and she was always the first one racing into the kitchen. I knew something was wrong. She was moping around, hiding and barely eating for a week. The vet said she was in mid-stage kidney failure and her temp was only 95 degrees (typical for a cat is about 100). I noticed she felt cool when I petted her. He said her bladder was full, like she couldn't pee on her own anymore, and her kidneys felt lumpy. She had also lost 20% of her weight, from 10 lbs to 8.2 since last year. We decided to put her down, my only consolation being that 13 is a pretty good age. 

I have been with several cats before when they are euthanized, both mine and my Mom's cats over the years, and I always hold them during the process. Typically, as soon as the fluid starts going in they relax and their little head drops onto my arm, and then they're peacefully gone. But not with my AnnaBelle! When the fluid started going in she jerked her head UP, and looked at me like "What are you doing??" Then she began to struggle! I have never experienced this before. This went on for a few seconds before she stopped and was gone. Now, I feel terrible, like she wasn't ready to go. Yet, all night Sunday she was laying on the floor of my shower stall, moaning and meowing every hour or so, and I'd bound out of bed and go in there to pat her. She was miserable. So what was I to do? The vet said she wouldn't get better. 

I don't know what "happens" when the fluid goes in, so I'm guessing that maybe it feels cold or warm or something in the veins, and it just surprised her. If anyone else has ever had this happen, please let me know. 
...LINDA C
Quote 0 0
Jimbo106
Didn't have that happen but wanted you to know you're not alone. Having to say goodbye to an old fiend is never easy.

Blessings to you and AnnaBelle.

Jim

Quote 0 0
Charliesmommy
Hi Linda,

I think that in whatever way our babies leave us, there's always a certain amount of guilt we feel and wondering if we made the right decisions.  As cliche as it sounds and as much as I hate to hear and say it, I think its all part of the grieving process.  My Charlie didn't struggle but he did lift his head up once as if to see what they were doing.  It was over quickly but one of the worst moments of my life.

You loved AnnaBelle and I'm sure she knew that.  Just as I'm sure Charlie knew how much I adored him.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  :(

hugs,
Tammy
Quote 0 0
Shadowlab03
I lost my beloved lab, Shadow, 6 months ago today. Besides  being the most horribly sad day, we had a strange experience putting him down too. Although he had a tumor and had lost his sight he had a strong heart. We put him down at home and he just wouldn't let go. The vet said he was fighting it and that made it so much harder to know he wanted to stay here. I know that we did what was best for him but it I did feel guilty knowing as bad as he was he didn't want to go. The only comfort I've had is that one day I will be with him again...forever.
Shadow's Mom

I will carry you in my heart forever.
Quote 0 0
Katel
I had a bad experience when my sweet Charlotte cavalier was euthanized 4 months ago and it half near killed me.   I don't know why these things happen, why can't they get it right, put in a strong sedative and they go to sleep peacefully.  I've done my best to put it out of my mind as now my
little dog who's left will have to be euthanised soon and I just couldn't bear it to happen again.   My other pets who have had to be pts all went peacefully. 
Quote 0 0
patent123
My dog acted a similar way.  She jerked and acted startled a bit.  This to made me feel terrible like am I doing the right thing? I think ultimately the prick to the vein startles them.  Having a stranger handle them is also uneasy to many animals.  You did the right thing. Its cruel to make our pets suffer when we can end it.  I hate hearing people say you did the right thing shes not suffering anymore...because its still the hardest decision to make.  But the statements true as unbearable as it is.  All animals react differently to the drug, needle, and having an unfamiliar vet handle them (even if you had your vet for years its still stressful) I think the poke just startled your friend like it did mine.  I hope that offers some answer or comfort.
Quote 0 0
Bobiii
When I went to have my aggressive dog euthanized, the vet said I couldn't be with him unless he was pre-medicated because they considered him dangerous. It turned out this was not the normal procedure with this vet, who normally gave the shot without first making the dog unconscious.  I had always thought the two-step procedure was the standard way.  And actually the first shot he gave him only made him groggy not unconscious. When he gave the second shot Barney grunted a little and was gone.  I still feel bad about that in addition to the fact that he was only 2 years old. Am I right that euthanasia is normally done by means of the two part injection?      
Quote 0 0
Pennysmom
My Penny let out a meow of pain when the vet stuck her as well. It was unbearable! I'm so sorry for your loss and sending you lots of hugs.

Be strong. We will be with our babies again someday. 
Quote 0 0
LindaC528
Thank you all so much for your kind replies. My particular vet, when putting a pet down, carries them out of the room first, and inserts a catheter in the right front leg, which is secured by a wrap-around bandage. Then he brings them back in and leaves me alone with them for a few minutes. When he comes back, he inserts the syringe into the catheter, so it is not an issue of feeling the needle prick... that came before, when they put the catheter in. 

So I think there is an unfamiliar sensation when the fluid enters the veins, either warm/cold, or tingling, or some such. That sensation, while I'm sure not painful, probably just takes some pets by surprise. Even the vet seemed a bit taken aback by AnnaBelle's reaction. And presumably he's seen it all. 

My concern now, aside from missing AnnaBelle terribly, is her litter-mate brother, Tanner, who has never known life without his buddy-sister. They've been together since before birth! I hate the idea of him being all alone now, esp. when I'm at work or otherwise not home. Since he is also 13, I could lose him within the next year, too. But I guess that's a separate post... A&T 62104-2.JPG 

...LINDA C
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Bobiii wrote:
When I went to have my aggressive dog euthanized, the vet said I couldn't be with him unless he was pre-medicated because they considered him dangerous. It turned out this was not the normal procedure with this vet, who normally gave the shot without first making the dog unconscious.  I had always thought the two-step procedure was the standard way.  And actually the first shot he gave him only made him groggy not unconscious. When he gave the second shot Barney grunted a little and was gone.  I still feel bad about that in addition to the fact that he was only 2 years old. Am I right that euthanasia is normally done by means of the two part injection?      

Yes it usually is a two-part injection. But I think there can be different reactions to the sedative shot (the first one) I had my dog put to sleep in 1999 and he fell completely unconscious from the first shot. It knocked him completely out in seconds. But sometimes they stay groggy and you can talk to them.

My girl who had to be put to sleep in 2012 -she only had the final shot. There was no time to give her both, or to insert a catheter as it was an emergency situation. She passed in seconds from the single shot, and seemed to show no discomfort. But I feel it is different for each of them. Though I know it is a 'kind death' compared with pain, fear etc.
The vet who administered the shot said "I wish there would be one of these for me when my time comes." And he must have had to do that many many times.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
NickysDad
I'm maybe off topic a bit but what keeps bothering me is I wasn't present at my Nicky's last moments at the vet. I can't bring myself to go to the vet and start crying. My wife does it.
I guess I'm weak and I feel so guilty. I should have been there at the end. Nicky's been gone since July 11th. It's not getting easier. It's not the first time this has happened.
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Nicky'sDad,
What matters really is you love Nicky. And he knew that and still knows it. Those minutes at the vet were a tiny part of his life, and through his life you gave him friendship and love. Some people cannot handle those final moments, and some can. For some it is way too excruciating to be able to do.
Please don't feel ashamed or like you let him down. He loves you anyway. They love us no matter what. They accept the things we don't do so well because they have huge unconditional love for us. He has gone over the Rainbow bridge -or to Spirit, and still loves you very very much for WHO you are. He wouldn't swap his bond with you for anything -even now.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0