camunki
I am driving myself crazy, I recently lost my dog Munki 7 weeks ago, and "thought" i would be ready to adopt a new puppy, I am not. I even sent out 4 applications to "rescue" and three of them called me back. Three of them "approved" my application to adopt, and i went thru the whole process of picking and choosing which pup i wanted to rescue...but deep down I am not ready, I am still greiving my dog Munki, I feel like i am not giving myself enough time to grieve. I promised myself back in Dec when she passed away that would would wait at least 3 months before i even consider rescuing a pet. And now I see puppies available, get excited, then back out...........is this normal??? I guess my heart wants to save a pup, but my head is saying I am not ready.

I still miss my Munki, and cry daily cuz i miss her and just dont' want to replace, which i would never do, by rescuing a young dog or puppy. Its 7 weeks *too raw* to even start looking for another pet.

Cam

Cam

Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
For what my opinion is worth---------I think YES it is too soon to get another pet.  We too are missing having the love and laughter a pet brings, but we both feel it is too soon to even entertain the idea of getting another one, completely ignoring all our very good reasons due to age etc that we personally have for not getting another one.

My arms ACHE to hold a fur baby and heaven knows my heart aches for so many reasons, but a new pet so soon I don't think is the answer.  I know several people who have gone right out and fallen in love and brought home a new little one, but it just doesn't seem to work out quite right when you do it so soon.

Just MY opinion of course.
janice
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
aaww cam, i can truly sympathize with you.  when my first service dog goldie passed on dec 12, 2006 from the contaminated pet food issue i cried inconsolably for 3 weeks.  the one soul who made my life bearable since the accident was no longer at my side and i knew i needed another.  as much as i wanted to i could not even look at golden retrievers - too much they all reminded me of goldie.  but then thinking of goldie while i was on petfinder i found myself staring into the face of an adorable purebred aussie pup.  two weeks later we were meeting the transport and picking up the pup i had already named "grace" but once i looked into the eyes i said "roxie, hello".   we went home and we started obedience training, training as my service dog and she excelled.  i never felt the "time was right" but that nudge from goldie told me "she's the one".

cam, you will know when the time is right or you will get a nudge from munki as i did goldie.  we all are capable of so much love and surely rescue pups are in need of all the love they can find and if that right forever home comes along then sometimes we even have to go with our initial impulse and see it for the best.  no other fur-baby can ever replace the love we hold for our lost friends but maybe at some point they can ease the road ahead for us.  hope that i didn't ramble as today is just another sad day.  many many hugs to you!

roxie as puppy 001 (291x400) (218x300).jpg 
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
camunki
Thanks Janice & Jersey....well i guess too, cuz i promised myself i'd wait 3 months, and I didn't i started looking, and found a few on
Adopt a pet, thinking if i rescue i am doing a good thing. But for who? I knew in my heart i was not ready. I felt bad calling back 2 people
after they sent me tons of pics and talked on the phone, I let them know that my heart said yes, but my head was not ready for this.
Who knows maybe in a month or two, I'll feel better, just right now is not the right time. I know i could feel it "wasn't" right, cuz my
heart literally pounded hard, like something was "wrong" and knowing that rescuing a pet now, was not the right thing to do. Yes, in
time, whenever that may be, I know i will rescue a sweet lil' soul..........in time........thanks for the kind words from you lovely ladies !! (((hugs)))) And Jersey, i love the lil' pic above, was that your Roxie??

Cam

Cam

Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
Ahhh  I do think you made the right decision.  Usually if we REALLY listen to our gut it will tell us when something is right or wrong.  I'm sure you will know when and then you will have a really GREAT experience with a new little one that is just right for you and can let us all know how great you feel about your decision.
janice
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
hi cam, yes that is roxie's puppy pic from the rescue agency that took my breath away.  she was #5 in a litter of 5 and the smallest and she wasn't that small as an adult.  i found it in her folding packet of paperwork through the years - inoculation records, vet visits, obedience training, etc. 

personally i think you made the right decision in not bringing a new pup into the house until your heart and head are in agreement.  we all still have a lot of love to offer when the time comes and it never is a good idea until the time is right.  take care and many hugs
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
camunki
Thanks again (((Janice)) and (((Jersey))) for the wonderful insight, and i feel a huge toll taken off myself for not doing this "right now".......someday when the time is right, i will rescue a lil' love!! You ladies rock!!! xxoo

Cam

Quote 0 0
Sparkys_house
Boy do I ever understand. My service pitty, Sparky passed on June 24,2015 and I'm still not ready. I look through the various rescue sites, stay in touch with Sparky's original rescuer in LA and am always getting links from friends of dogs they think would be a good fit. But every time I look I fear all I want is a duplicate of him which I know can't and won't happen. Then I think, well that's not a good start to a new relationship because the new dog won't measure up and I won't be able to love or bond. Then I start crying, close the tablet and say to myself, nope, not ready.
Quote 0 0
camunki
yes, thanks Sparkys House!! I know the feeling, i even got to the point of "accepting" to be an adopter........looking at pics and talking
to the fosters...........then i thought, with my heart literally pounding (out of fear that this may not be right) I had to bail on 2 of them.....it was not right...........yes, *someday* i will be ready, for now I am not, I miss my baby Munki from 12/3 and i lost her sister 11 mos prior on 1/2/15...........2 in one year takes a huge toll on my heart.  Thanks so much for sharing your story!!! I did have Chinese Shar Pei's all my life but now looking for Pei's............and yes.............Pitties!!!!! I love the pit bulls!!!

Cam

Cam

Quote 0 0
CF1015
I think it is different for everyone. We lost our dog to lymphoma in November. We adopted a puppy in January. The puppy has been very helpful with our healing. I still miss my boxer, we all do but the puppy fits right into our family. Oddly enough we found out she was born 2 days after our boxer passed away.
Quote 0 0
Ripley14
It is such an individual decision. When my miniature poodle "Babe" died, I was devastated by that loss. It took me 6 years to even consider another dog. Then along came Ripley. Now I'm devastated again and in no rush for another dog. On the other hand, when my sister's dog died unexpectedly she went out the next week and bought two new puppies that looked just like the one who died. These are extremes but as you can see, it's a personal choice. What do you feel in your heart? Forget everything else for a minute. There you will find the answer. God bless. Pam 
Quote 0 0