Sam26
The vet came to see us at home today and have arranged for them to come back on Monday. You've been the best dog for the 13 years I've had you. My heart is breaking I feel so guilty for everything I haven't done for you in your life. We had you from the dogs home they told us you were 1-2. There were so many to chose from, but you gave us your paw straight away and we were hooked. You were a nightmare when we first had you, with chewing the house up, we had to get baby locks on our cupboards so you couldn't get into them. Many a time we'd come home to a snow scene that was your bed! A few months on with perseverance you trusted that we were coming back and thank goodness the chewing stopped. You loved your walks up the hills near our house, even sometimes taking yourself up there on your own and finding something grim to roll in! I split up with your Dad several years ago and have since remarried. Your Dad loved you dearly too, but I kept you as was better able to look after you. We did have a final weekend away in the lakes with you, which I will always treasure. Your Dad spoilt you with food, I spoilt you with walks. Although far to big to be a lap dog, you always tried to be one and loved a cuddle on the sofa. Unfortunately things were "tense" to say the least with your Dad and I feel a lot of guilt for the times when our arguments caused you to hide up a corner. Obviously you always forgave us and gave me much needed love and cuddles. When I moved out I picked a new home with a great garden and park nearby where we were happy. Your new Dad loves you too, but not your hairs! We have very different views on "parenting" and I do feel bad that he shuts you out of the kitchen and doesn't let you sit under the table when we eat, although of course we do what we like when he's not here! Since you've been unwell the last 6 weeks you've got away with a bit more with him. I know he's sad that you are going too, but he'll never really understand how I feel. It been 6 months now since you've been able to go on a proper walk, people were still saying then that you didn't look your age and your face still looks young now. You've been enjoying the garden though and playing ball until recently, and I'm glad we've got a couple more sunny days together in the garden, before you go. Our neighbors have been great popping in to check on you when we've been out, they'll miss you very much too. We've been through so much together, I am overwhelmed with sadness that you are going, but I know you are ready. I want to be with you when you go, but I don't want to be upset when it happens, cause you have had a great long life and I know my feelings of sadness and guilt are an understandable part of the process. So I'm trying to get this out now so I can get through the day on Monday for you. I've made arrangements for afterwards and I'll have a ceremony for you up in the lakes next month our favourite place. Love you boy, see you up there one day xxx
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
Beautiful is all I can say...
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
And I'm sorry...
Quote 0 0
CKMP
Sam26,
Just wanted to say your letter brings tears, it breaks the heart but is so filled with that pure love and unbreakable connection between you and your best boy.
I am so so sorry . . .
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
What a beautiful letter you have written to your baby.  I am so sorry it had to be written.  I will keep you in my prayers as Monday approaches.  Please come back and let us know how you are doing.  Hugs  Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
GunnersMama
What a beautiful letter. By your words to your baby you tell what a soul bond that you share. I will be thinking of you both. Sending hugs and prayers.
Quote 0 0
Sam26
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. My boy is gone now but will always be remembered and loved. He was his usual astute self until he passed away peacefully and I was with him as I wanted to be. He enjoyed some of his favourite salmon before he went. I am so sad but determined to go out for a walk today. I saw the neighbors last night and their dog who gave me some comfort which is a relief as I wondered if I would ever be able to look at another dog. I can't bring myself to move my baby's beds yet, yes he was a lucky boy with 3 of them (and that's just in the house!), so I'll leave them for now. Xxx
Quote 0 0
DieselDaddy
Sam....your initial post was great!
Sorry you lost your buddy.....
Quote 0 0
JaspersMom2016
Beautiful letter.  So sorry for your loss.  I don't know if it is any comfort but it is wonderful that you had some quality time before he went enjoying some of your favorite things together.  That in itself is a blessing.  My pup passed away a few days ago unexpectedly and it guts me when I think about taking him to his favorite place, the dog beach not realizing it would be his last visit.  My only comfort right now is that thank God it was the weekend, I was home, he was sleeping with me and his brother on the bed and he went in his sleep.
Quote 0 0