My precious kitty who I have had for 11 years has been diagnosed with mast cell tumors in her spleen.
At this point I do not know if surgery is an option because I am not sure if it has spread out of her spleen. I have worked in a vet office for over a year so I know the prognosis of animal's that have a spleen removed and I am terrified to put my baby through this, even though I trust the vet who would be doing the surgery.

I have no idea what I should do. I don't know if I should have the surgery if the cancer hasn't spread. I have no idea if I should start her on chemo. I just know I don't want to lose my cat. Since I work with the people who are helping me with this, I know the chances that it has spread are good. Every time I think about losing her I can't stop crying. I have never personally had to deal with this myself and I really have no idea how to even start deciding about what to do for my baby.
Quote 0 0
I'm so sorry for what you are going through
My 13 year old cat has small cell lymphoma to the pancreas, intestines , it was confirmed via biopsy
Fortunately it is a more treatable form of cancer , he recently started on chemo, one pill every other day and is doing okay with it
It may buy him some more quality time

You may want to explore chemo if it is an option
I can understand your concern regarding surgery and not wanting to put her through it.
My best advice would be to do as much research as possible and get second opinions if you have any doubts

I lost the cat love of my life a year ago and wish I had asked pushed back more with the vet , gotten second opinions etc
Once they are gone you will likely second guess many things

My best wishes to you

Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0
You might want to do internet research about cancer in the spleen.   Since the spleen contains the lymph nodes by the time the tumor cells have infiltrated the spleen they are already in other organs.  I lost a Pekingese a couple of weeks ago who had an enlarged spleen that was removed and was doing fine for 2 weeks and suddenly became severely anemic again.  So the vet assumed the cancer had already spread to other organs.  He is now at the Rainbow Bridge.
Quote 0 0
Dear daisygirl123,
I just read what MaryEllen1952 said and I have to agree. I would research this because I can tell how much you love your sweet pet and that you wouldn't want her to suffer unnecessarily. As devastating as this is for you I know you will make the right decision for your kitty. Prayers to you.
Quote 0 0
Hi Daisy Girl,

I'm sorry this happened to you and your beloved kitty.  I know this was a while ago but I find myself in a similar circumstance.  My cat George is 15 1/2 years old and has a very discrete mass on his Spleen which is a mast cell cancer.  They say his spleen is not enlarged so they can't tell if it is in his spleen proper.  Would you be willing to tell me what decision you made and what happened? I'm really struggling with whether or not to do surgery, I'm scared that will kill him and right now he looks good, so I don't want to take away time he might still have left.  Thanks for listening.
Quote 0 0