AnnetteinNC
Hallo everyone,its been a while since I posted last.
It's been almost three month since we lost our little girl and after a lot of back and forth we finally decided to get a new puppy,I still feel sort of torn about it though - are we making the right decision? We I like the new one?? Is it too soon??
I'm so worried and hope it will all work out...
Annette.

Quote 0 0
DebbieD
Hello AnnetteinNC (if that means you're in North Carolina, so are we). I just joined this forum as we lost our precious Misty last Sunday and needed the support and help I've found here.

When we lost our wonderful Gwen 5 years ago, it was very difficult to think about another puppy. In our case we had Misty and I worried about her being alone since she'd always had her sister. And there's another part - these amazing friends give us so much love, and teach us so much about love - maybe this is a way to honor them by continuing to love, continuing the chain. Does that make any sense?

I know there's a part that feels like we're thinking about replacing them, and that can never happen. Maybe instead of thinking about replacing, we can think about making room in our hearts for even more love.

It'll be awhile for me and no way am I thinking about this now. (And I'll be thinking the same thoughts you are.) We have to grieve and it's not right to bring a puppy in unless we feel we can give them the attention and love they deserve. But if you feel ready, I just know you'll love this little one and he/she will be lucky to have such a wonderful mom. 
Quote 0 0
Ponchosmommie
Annette, I went through the same feelings before I got Rocky. As soon as I had him in the house, I knew it was going to be alright. Don't be surprised if you see similarities between the two. Sometimes I feel like Poncho is guiding Rocky!

We are not replacing our former pets....that is impossible. We are honoring our former pets by loving and caring for their kind. They would want this! After Poncho died, I didn't think I could ever have another, but I know now that I can't live without them. What they give us no human can.

Go for it...you won't regret it.

Quote 0 0
reovi
Hi Annette-I really understand your concern and hesitation...My husband and I have also battled with the thought of replacing Polar.  And I really feel this decision can go either way, that there is no right or wrong decision.  For us, we decided not to get another, because we are both grieving way too much to bring another dog into that.  We felt that since dogs are so sensitive to their humans, and since being in a new home is stressful enough, that our grieving added to all this new stress would not be an environment that we would want to bring a new dog into-that we would not be able to give all the attention that the dog deserved at this time, because our hearts are still in another place.  Plus we didn't want to put the expectations on the new dog to fill a void-we want a new dog to be able to have a space of his/her own in our lives.  But again, this was our decision, but I fully understand the choice to chose in the other direction.  Good luck!  I wish you well.
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
Hi Annette ~

It's always good to open your heart again!  When you adopt, remember that it's about the puppy, not about you.  If that is what is in your heart, the love will flourish from the moment you meet.

I received this (attached) picture from a friend today, and immediately shared it on facebook.  I hope it will open large enough for you (and everyone!) to be able to read what it says

I wish you the happiest possible future with your new friend!
My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
AnnetteinNC
Thank you all for your kind and wonderful replies!! I really appreciated reading them and will report on the progress with our new puppy which I think will be named Lucy ;)
At the moment I'm ready for a nap,after puppies first night :)
Thanks again!!
Annette.

Quote 0 0
MagzMom
Oh my Susie, thanks for sharing that last will.  It's making me cry, but making me smile.  I still dont' know if I can get another dog, I am still so sad.  Part of me would love to.....
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
Ponchosmommie wrote:
Annette, I went through the same feelings before I got Rocky. As soon as I had him in the house, I knew it was going to be alright. Don't be surprised if you see similarities between the two. Sometimes I feel like Poncho is guiding Rocky!

We are not replacing our former pets....that is impossible. We are honoring our former pets by loving and caring for their kind. They would want this! After Poncho died, I didn't think I could ever have another, but I know now that I can't live without them. What they give us no human can.

Go for it...you won't regret it.

I absolutely believe that our angels guide the new ones to let us know they're watching over us.  My young ones have done things that only the ones who came before them ever did.  When T.J. came to us as a kitten, I held him up to a picture of Bingo every night at bed time and said, "Listen to the God Cat when he speaks to you.  He will guide you in the ways of our family."  I swear, it worked.
My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
AnnetteinNC
Quote:
I absolutely believe that our angels guide the new ones to let us know they're watching over us.  My young ones have done things that only the ones who came before them ever did.  When T.J,. came to us as a kitten, I held him up to a picture of Bingo every night at bed time and said, "Listen to the God Cat when he speaks to you.  He will guide you in the ways of our family."  I swear, it worked.

Reading this brought tears to my eyes,it's so sweet!
 Annette.

Quote 0 0