Hello everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read my post.
About a month ago, my big yellow boy Lewis who is 15, was diagnosed with a squamous cell carcinoma in his jaw. My awesome vet has told us that this is very aggressive, and we know what the outcome is going to be. My biggest concern is that he doesn't suffer at all, but the hardest decision to make is when to finally send him on his way. I don't want to put him through any suffering just to make myself feel better.
He is still using his litterbox, and he can eat wet food, although it's a challenge for him. He is drooling a lot, and sleeping more. He gets pain medication every 12 hours. The hard part about all of this, is that he still is his old self. He still runs to the back door when we get home, he purrs, he sits next to us. He spent the day outside in the sun while I worked in the garden, guarding his big catnip plant.
This is killing me because I can tell he is losing weight, but he still tries to eat. He can't groom himself anymore, so I'm brushing him daily.
I know this is an impossible question, but I don't want to be hanging on to him if he's just miserable. I just can't make this huge decision, he's been part of our family for 15 years, and we love him so much. I cry everytime I look at him.