Forum

Author   Comment  
mimic

Reply with quote  #1 

Hello everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read my post.

About a month ago, my big yellow boy Lewis who is 15, was diagnosed with a squamous cell carcinoma in his jaw.  My awesome vet has told us that this is very aggressive, and we know what the outcome is going to be.  My biggest concern is that he doesn't suffer at all, but the hardest decision to make is when to finally send him on his way.  I don't want to put him through any suffering just to make myself feel better.

He is still using his litterbox, and he can eat wet food, although it's a challenge for him.  He is drooling a lot, and sleeping more.  He gets pain medication every 12 hours.  The hard part about all of this, is that he still is his old self.  He still runs to the back door when we get home, he purrs, he sits next to us.  He spent the day outside in the sun while I worked in the garden, guarding his big catnip plant.

This is killing me because I can tell he is losing weight, but he still tries to eat.  He can't groom himself anymore, so I'm brushing him daily.

I know this is an impossible question, but I don't want to be hanging on to him if he's just miserable.  I just can't make this huge decision, he's been part of our family for 15 years, and we love him so much.  I cry everytime I look at him. 

Thanks.

Mimi

Larry

Reply with quote  #2 
I had to make that same decision 3 1/2 months ago. I knew when I came home that day that it was time. Our Hannah had Lymphoma and she fought a tough fight. As long as your boy is getting around and is still his old self I would give him all the love possible. You will know with out doubt when it is time. I wish I could help. My thoughts will be with you.
Larry
mimic

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you, Larry. I'm so sorry about your Hannah. My poor boy is putting on a brave face, but it's so hard to watch him struggle to eat and I know the cancer has gone into his jawbone--that was confirmed during his biopsy. I love my Lewis....this is so difficult.
Larry

Reply with quote  #4 
When Hannah started having a hard time chewing her food I would boil her chicken and de-bone it,then I would mix in a little milk. Sounds gross but she loved it. I know it's hard mimic,I'm so sorry that you are going through this.
Larry
poopy

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi mimic,

I just lost my poopycat to lymphoma. When he started losing alot of weight, I gave my baby goat's milk and Prosure. My vet said it would help him maintain some muscle. i also started feeding him through a syringe so that he wouldn't be starving. I just wanted to share because I know how hard it is. My thoughts are with you.

mimic

Reply with quote  #6 

We are mixing his food up with milk so he can get some nutrition....he still has an appetite which is good, but he is really having trouble eating.  He seems okay getting water, but his mouth is starting to bleed if there is any solid food involved.

I can't thank you enough for the kind words.  I am so happy I found this site and board, reading everyone's posts is so reassuring, just knowing others have gone through the same thing is enormously helpful. 

Mimi

shadow

Reply with quote  #7 

I just had to put down a 10 yr old german shephred on Monday the 4th. she had just turned 10 on Friday the 1st. Apparently she had a tumor on her spleen that had busted and she was bleeding internally. She also had several other tumors on the spllen The dr told me that 90 to 95% of these turns out to be cancerous. She said she could go in and stop the bleeding and take the spleen out and then suck out the stomach but that there was no guarantee that she could get every cancer cell there was. She said with chemotherophy she may get 3 to 6 months. She had already needed a blood transfussion because of the blood loos. I had no idea that any of this was happening. She seemed to be a little tired and I thought maybe her thryrod was low. She still was able tp get in the car and go places with me. I feel in my heart that I did the right thing for her because we weren't given very many options. When they brought her back in to see me and to spend some time together she seemed like her old self. Was anxious to leave and sniffing the whole room as to see you had been in there. I  tried talking to her but she was so busy with every thing else and then they gave her the first show that puts them to sleep and I left before they gave her the other one/ I am having her cremated so I am waiting for her ashes to arrive and I know that will be very difficult. I just don't know how to get rid of the pain. I hate coming home from work because she would be right at the door to greet me and then I would go outside with her so she could go to the bathroom and then up to bed we went.

Reply with quote  #8 

Sheila---I am so sorry for your loss.  You did the right thing, you would never want your baby to go through all of that trauma and pain.  I am struggling with my Lewis right now, trying to figure out when the right time is.  I hope you find peace, and know that your pup isn't suffering.  My thoughts are with you.  Mimi

veronica

Reply with quote  #9 
@Shadow you said " they gave her the first show that puts them to sleep and I left before they gave her the other one"  ??? how could you leave when your baby need you the most ?? don't you feel guilty?? I am sure your baby are very disappointed at you3
angelafmy

Reply with quote  #10 
I know it's hard mimic,I'm so sorry that you are going through this. 

Catladykaren

Reply with quote  #11 
@Veronica your post is innappropriate and should be removed. Some people cannot be in the room, it is their choice alone. The first shot often sedates the pet and they are not awake or aware for the second. You should be ashamed of yourself to pass judgement on someone who is obviously hurting.

Reply with quote  #12 
I know this is old now, and I think dear Sheila has let go of it. But I do agree with Catladykaren.
We all cope differently. It is so tremendously painful to go through those things, no-one can be sure how they will react in those tragic situations.
We are not here to pass judgement on anyone for their own way of coping, but here to support each other with unconditional love -just like our beloved fur-companions gave us. We are not all the same.

By the way, Sheila is a lovely lady with a good heart, and loved Shadow very deeply.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
xiaonvren

Reply with quote  #13 
 I am so happy I found this site and board, reading everyone's posts is so reassuring, just knowing others have gone through the same thing is enormously helpful. 

——————————————————————

Jimbo106

Reply with quote  #14 
Very sorry.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.