MissingScooty
I am dog sitting for a friend whose dog (named Nanny) once walked along with my precious Scooter. I thought it would be fun to see her...but she is really slowing down from the Cushing's disease (or perhaps the medication from it?). She was not even happy or excited to see me when I walked in the door whereas before she would bark happily and run to me. This is all bringing back painful memories of Scooter's last days on earth. She is eating well but sleeps a lot and just stares out the window. My friend just left yesterday, so I am hoping some of this is just missing her mom and dad :(
I look over at the toy box that Scooter would run to when he first got here, and would sort through it excitedly, looking for his favorite toys. Then he would bring them to me. He was always always looking to play. Even last summer when I dog sat, just months before he passed.
Has anyone here had a dog with cushing's disease? I have to watch Nanny another 9 days and now not so happy about it.
Missing and loving Scooter Forever
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
Purzel
Melissa, dear friend

I am so sorry you are triggered with sorrow, painful memories of Scooter and the sadness of witnessing Nanny's slowing down from CD. Even tho I have no clue about CD I still want you to know that I am with you in my thoughts. I also know that you will be lovingly at the side of Nanny and make her as comfortable and happy as possible. In a way I also detect sweet and joyful memories of Scooter and the toy box that will hopefully bring a smile as you see him so happily running for his favorite toys.

My heart goes out to you and my good thoughts are with you each day

Many hugs
Silvia (with Max forever in my heart)

[hundi]

Quote 0 0
Olgita256
Hi there... I lost my boy to Cushings... he was 15 1/2 Pomeranian.. he was on medication for 1 1/2 years. The medicine controls cortisol and it seems to make them weak and sometimes depressed. My boy was the same... he just didn’t have the bright eyes and joy he used to have. I would give him trisoltane and I would give it in the morning. I worked all day so when I would come home it had already worn off.. and I saw him a bit more active. But without medication there are serious consequences. Cushings is a tough one ... very nice and sweet of you to watch over your friends dog and to be concerned. How old is nanny?
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
Nanny is a rescue so they are not sure how old she is, approximately 9 or 10 years old. She was quite the feisty dog when they got her, and were so good not to send her back to the rescue organization. She still has a tendency to nip on certain, specific occasions. She is on trilosane as well. I did text my friend right away about this change I have noticed in Nanny, and she said, in so many words, this is now how she behaves, kind of sluggish and not excited to see them, either. And not to worry.

I did get her to chase the ball 3 or 4 times in the house late yesterday, so that was something. And she has started to snuggle with me in the early morning.

Yes it is nice to remember Scooter happily rooting through the toy box at my friend's house. She has had  a few dogs - the last had the big C and died at age 10 when Scooter was the same age as him...he was a beagle named Luke. They were true buds. It was cute. We brought them hiking together at a local park. I think Luke is the one who taught Scooter to "howl" only Scooter's came out much more high pitched, like an aroooo arooo! When he was especially happy or excited to see me.

- Melissa
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Big hugs to you, sweet Melissa. I'm so sorry this time of pet-sitting is so overshadowed by remembering Scooter's decline.  I'm especially sorry for the pain this is bringing your grieving heart.  It really is so hard to bear the triggers and the rush of sadness they bring. 

I hope the days you spend with Nanny get easier, hope that initial shock will be tempered. I think what you're describing would be hard on any of us to be around, especially so close in time to the passing of our babies. It's a tough assignment.

You have the support of your online family here, and I hope you'll write as often as you need to, if it would help you.

Praying for you. May you receive comfort, strength and love to carry you through. 

PS - Oh wow! I just returned to say, I see you and I were posting to each other at about the same time. That brings me a smile to realize you were thinking about me, while I was thinking about you. And there are mutual prayers. Thank you, friend!

Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
I have three more full days watching Nanny. After work last night was tough. She looked miserable. My fiance is helping me watch her and he is on vacation so he was with her most of the day. He said she only got out of bed I am sleeping in to go out to pee, or drink water. I put in my second call to my friend vacationing who owns her. She had to reassure me it's the cushings disease and the medication mostly making her lethargic.  My friend Anne, knowing I watched my own dog die quickly in a matter of days and held him as he passed, said "Don't worry, she won't die on your watch". It doesn't help that her face looks like Scooters face. Oh God please help me.
This morning for now she is running around but I am off to work soon. I think my friend will need to call her vet upon return about the recent dosage increase in medication.
I just needed to post before I go to work. My heart aches. And Scooter's 6 month anniversary is next week..
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
Purzel
Hi Melissa,

Please, try to not worry so much. I very much doubt your friend would go on vacatioin if her beloved Nanny was in any danger from cushings. It is summertime and very warm - dogs tend to hang around in a weather like this with or without cushings. So I think your friend Anne is right in what she said to you. I know this is not easy for you right now doing such a difficult job so shortly after Scooter's passing with all the memories still so fresh. The 3 more days will pass without any problems.

I send you many hugs and good thoughts.

[hundi]

Quote 0 0
catiebee
Ohhhh. Melissa, all of that is so hard. Nanny resembling Scooter must make this whole dog-sitting experience and her being slowed down like this, feel excruciating. I'm sorry the anniversary is so near also. 

I'm really glad your friend the owner reassured you. I hope you can hold onto her words and Anne's also. It's true that especially dogs who are ailing lay around most of the time. The fact that she was running around this morning is a very good sign, also.

Hang in there, sweet friend. Praying for your comfort and strength. Many hugs!!!

Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Fresh hugs and prayers for you, Melissa. Friend, I'm sorry for how hard this time is. You're often in my thoughts. 
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
I only worried because three days ago she had this horrible look in her eyes, and was actually moaning a bit. I will not forget that look. It is the same one Scooter had. It has not been hot, or even warm, here this past week, so I could not figure in that as a factor. Anyway, I halved her medication (her owner knows) to see how she would do on that and she MUCH improved. I will let her owner and vet discuss what dose to land on upon her return tomorrow night and more testing. I did research on the meds she is on and some dogs can have a severe, bad, poison-like reaction to certain doses. Again this will be up to my friend and vet but for now she is doing better.
Catie thank you for your prayers they helped so so much.
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
catiebee
That sounds scary, Melissa. To see a look so much like his. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this, but I'm so glad to hear she's looking better. I hope you'll be able to feel less anxious with Nanny functioning better. 

Hugs!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
 Olgita, Sylvia and Catiebee, thank you so much for your posts and support this week. I have had flashbacks galore and also concern for friend's dog due to prior mention of look in her eyes. My fiance said the same thing, she had that glazed eyes look, same look Scooter had the day before he passed. Frightening. Yes, I am feeling less anxious now that she looks so much better. Praying friend will get right guidance from vet...that whole pill, to me, looked way too much for her system.
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
Purzel
Melissa,

I am very glad to read that Nanny is doing better due to your absolutely wonderful caring and attention to act right regarding the meds. You have all reasons to be proud of yourself. I can imagine how terribly hard this is for you and I can very much understand all the flashbacks you had to endure during this time. As I read back, it is only one more day, right? I wish all the best for Nanny and maybe your watchful eye will change something in dosis with the meds for Nanny.

Hope you can get some rest and inner peace now - you definitely deserve it.

Many hugs

[hundi]

Quote 0 0
Olgita256
You’re right about dosage... that medication has to be monitored closely to make sure they’re on the right dosage... too much of it can send them into Addison’s disease. We ( owners of pets with cushings) start becoming acostumed to seeing our dogs lethargic and depressed that we think it’s part of the disease but much of the time it can be the wrong dosage. Everyone should have a friend like you!!! I bet you anything that if your friend takes action... that doggie is going to feel so much better. 😍
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
Thank you all for your kind words. I told her to keep me posted. I left last night very soon after she and her husband returned. She said her dog is doing well today and even looked for me in the room I had been sleeping in.  Awwww.
I don't know what dose she will decide on but I know for sure she will see a decline within a few days if she goes back to the full pill.
- Melissa
Quote 0 0