Harleyboy
Tragic loss on Monday morning due to complications that neither the vet or I can understand without a tremendous expense. Found my senior cat barely alive in his litter box which makes me so sad! He had diabetes for the last eight years, but was doing great. Went into hypoglycemic shock at some point after I went to bed Sunday night. I found him when I awoke in the morning and rushed him to the vet. It looked promising at first, but the hypoglycemia kept returning even after they were able to bring him out of the comma. There must have been something internal going on. Was offered relocation to a veterinarian clinic that specializes in internal medicine. Due to age, health and expenses I made the hardest decision of my life. Euthanasia was ultimately decided upon and I have never felt more guilty or depressed in my entire life and I have experienced a lot of loss with multiple family members. I have been doing extensive research to find out what could have happened. Pancreatic cancer, sepsis from bad teeth, brain damage from the comma and seizures he was having in my arms. I will never know if I made the right decision which is killing me inside. This isn’t a good time to be suffering the loss of a pet, especially since I’m working from home and alone with my own ruminating thoughts. I can’t shut my brain down. Looking for some answers that I will never get clarity on. I know there are others out there feeling the same way I am and I’m not alone! Peace and love! 
Michelle Harrison
Quote 3 0
codysmum102
Michelle,
I am so sorry for your tragic loss. It is so very hard to make the decision to let you furbaby go. I too had to make the decision to either pursue extrodinary measures for my dog, who was diagnosed with a brain tumor but had several other medical issues including seizures, or  peacefully and painlessly let him go. On January 11th if this year I chose the latter. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make and I miss him terribly still.  Any time you lose a pet is terrible but coupled with what is going on today I think having to grieve your loved one along with everything else compounds the pain and sorrow. The only advice I can give you is to let your grief out. Post on here whenever you feel alone and sad. It does help. We are here for you and totally understand how you feel.
Take care,
Julie 💔
"Grief only exists where love lived first."
--Franchesca Cox
Quote 0 0
LaGata
I know how you feel in a way.  I didn't have to make a decision.  My baby did it for me.  You see, LaGata ran down the hall and jumped in the bed.  She started making muffins on the blanket then circled around and laid down.  I reached out and stroked her coat.  It was the most beautiful thing.  She laid her head on my legs and just stared at me.  It was the last time I smiled.  Out of the blue, she took a very deep breath and her head twitched a little.  In that blink, she was gone.  Soon it will be 2 months and I still cry every day.  She would have been 16 last month.  I still feel her absence every day.
Quote 0 0
Bigcatsdad
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your cat.
Making the decision to end our little ones suffering is a very painful one. We made that same decision a little over two months ago for Albert, my big black cat and best bud, he was 16. This is the most painful thing I've ever had to do and go through in my life and I'm still heart broken. Albert developed  a mass in his abdomen, he was barely eating and drinking, loosing weight and not himself and in pain. We were told that frequently older pets would not survive major surgery and treatment. We then made the heart breaking decision to say goodbye. We found out after the fact the mass in his abdomen was inoperable because of it's size and location. This brought me a little comfort that we didn't prolong his suffering and wait until things really got worse. Making this decision is so hard, it hurts so much and truly breaks our hearts but deep down we know it's right not to prolong their suffering and pain and their degrading life. You loved your cat and he knows what you did was because you really loved him and understands that. He is in a better place now with no pain, seizures and suffering. Someone on this forum said that the deeper the love of a pet, the greater the heart break and grief. Boy, that is the absolute truth. This has been some of the worst sadness I've ever experienced in my life and I can imagine you feel the same. Keep the good and happy memories and spirit of your little one close to your broken heart where he left his paw prints. Let yourself grieve and don't be afraid to cry. I've cried buckets of tears and they still keep coming. Everyone goes through grief differently, there is no timeline or schedule it just all takes time. When you are able try and post your thoughts and feeling, it really helps. Everyone on this forum understands the devastation and pain you are going through and how badly it hurts.
My deepest condolences.
Bigcatsdad
Quote 0 0