ScottR
I was just curious, since losing my GSD I have an empty negative feeling in the home.  I still have my other dog and my wife here but its not the same.  We just moved in a few months ago and have not had a chance to make it feel like true home as we are still fixing/updating things.  Now with my shepherd having passed its even harder.  Everything reminds me of him.  I last played in the basement with him.  He collapsed on my living room floor upstairs where I revived him before rushing to vet.  Going outside is not the same.  He was literally by my side everywhere I went.  Every time I go downstairs to watch tv or do laundry it just feels weird. 

Does that feeling ever wear off? 
Quote 0 0
AllysMom
Scott,

I know exactly what you are talking about.  I lost my sweet Ally in August and things have never been the same.  We have two other dogs who I love dearly and they are wonderful dogs, but each has their own distinct and different personality.  Ally was my "forever dog" and she and I were very bonded.  Ally was the quietest and calmest of our three dogs and had the most beautiful, caring soul.  She wasn't the least bit boisterous, but her gentle nature filled any room she was in with love.  Her being gone has left a huge void in our home that can't be replaced.  She had a funny habit of sleeping on the third stair on our staircase.  She barely fit and one of her legs usually hung off, but that was one of her spots.  Not seeing her on that stair still upsets me.  Our home will forever be different without Ally.  So many things are different - when the dogs lined up for treats Ally was always in the middle.  When they ran outside, Ally was always in the rear.  When we were in the car, Ally always sat in the front passenger seat.  Ally always went everywhere in the house that I did - she would even follow me into my closet and sit there and wait for me.  I'm crying now just thinking about her and her absence.  Yes, our home is so different without her.  It has gotten easier over the past few months, but I think there will always be a void.  It's sort of like we now have a "new normal".  I think you must have had the same bond with your dog (is it Tanner?) that I had with Ally.  It's a huge loss that many people just don't understand.

Ally's Mom - Karen

Quote 0 0
Gertie
ScottR wrote:
I was just curious, since losing my GSD I have an empty negative feeling in the home.  I still have my other dog and my wife here but its not the same.  We just moved in a few months ago and have not had a chance to make it feel like true home as we are still fixing/updating things.  Now with my shepherd having passed its even harder.  Everything reminds me of him.  I last played in the basement with him.  He collapsed on my living room floor upstairs where I revived him before rushing to vet.  Going outside is not the same.  He was literally by my side everywhere I went.  Every time I go downstairs to watch tv or do laundry it just feels weird. 

Does that feeling ever wear off? 

No Scott, It does get easier. My little Duncan has been gone since July. I have good days and some really tearful moments. I think we learn to live without them, but there is always an empty feeling. I find myself coming back to this site, it helps writing to others in pain. Today it is 10 months since my kitty Myles passed. He was such a sweet little guy. Yes this has been a bad year.
But I do have wonderful memories. You have those too. Hold them close.

Thinking of you,

Duncan & Myles Mom.
Quote 0 0
Lil_Odie
Scott,

Thank you for posting this! I needed to see this today because it's been a difficult one. We just lost our Lil Odie 4 days ago, and we are going through the same issues. My husband started this account and posted about our sweet little beagle that died so suddenly. I had to come here because i am having a hard time, too.
It's almost like the whole dynamic of our family is different. There were 4 of us (me, him, and our two little Beagle girls). Now, it's so difficult. We too had just moved into a new place a few months ago. Our dogs were adjusting beautifully and loved it here. Now everything seems awkward. When I take the other dog walking, she's not sure really what she wants. I can't find a routine that doesn't revolve around 2 dogs. Everything was set up for 2 dogs.
We threw away the toys, the dog bowls, put all of Lil Odie's stuff away, because we just couldn't look at it without falling apart. We bought new stuff for our other girl today, but she doesn't really know what to do with the new toys (nobody to chase her with them) and she's just lost.
Your post explained things perfectly and it helps me to know someone else is going through this.
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
You had a special bond with him. And while there is love around you, and you love the rest of your family, there is always an empty space where your special buddy used to be. That's the way with these special bonds.

My girl Misty was my 'heart dog', my sister, my Soul mate. I have loved many through my life, but I never had the same friendship or connection with any Soul like I had with her. There is no explaining that, and no disrespect intended to all my dear ones!

I totally understand.

Does the feeling go away? No. But it does get easier to bear. There will always be a sense of missing him in your life -even if you get verification that he is ok in spirit.
I have regular visits from my girl, but when she is far away, I can start to get the empty feeling sometimes. But I have had repeated proof from her that she still exists in spirit. So I try for her sake to hold on to love more than anything now. But my girl has been gone 18 months. It is hard to do that at first because grief at first is so raw and very painful. 

And you must work on that 'negative feeling'. Please try to. Because where your buddy is now, he has love with him. I know this as a fact. My Misty showed me. If you can lift the vibes of your home a bit with all the love you two shared, it will help -even through the grieving. Yes it might make you cry, but remember the love.
It is possible he will visit you, and show you. But he might not be able to get through if there is a negative vibe. Just hold the love, and trust.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
heartsick
Dear Scott,
I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet baby.
It doesn't matter how long you have been in that house -
There is a hole inside of you that is the shape of your lost baby.
When you are home there is an emptiness with that same shape.
There is someone missing.
When we lose someone we love we don't stop loving them.
LOVE NEVER DIES.
We do feel them - the space they left and then the love between us
which is ALWAYS there.

The soul bound connection that is between our babies and ourselves is forever.

Nothing - not death- tears -grief - or sadness will ever break the ties between us for those ties are made of LOVE so strong that NOTHING will ever sever those connections.

LOVE NEVER DIES.

When we grieve for those we love it is because we do not quite know how to live without them. We breathe because we have no choice but the living part takes a huge amount of learning and time.

Grief is not something we get over but something that we learn -slowly- over time- to incorporate into our lives until it becomes a part of us like our bones and our breath.

Please know that we all understand here and we are all here for you.

We are all in this together and all walking the same roller coaster path of grief together -

some a bit ahead of you, some by your side, and some will come behind for you to help along.

Grief takes time. It usually takes the whole first year of “firsts” without them to take a true deep breath again. Be kind to yourself. None of this is easy.

I am here for you.

We are all here for you and we care about you and we understand.

You Are In My Thoughts.                                      

Susan(heartsick)

Quote 0 0
Shadowhoffen

Scott my heart aches for you and what you are dealing with ...
Two yrs. ago today we had to release my heartdog, my first GSD, Baron ... he was 4 mos. shy of 14.  He was my everything .... friend, companion, snuggle buddy .... as much as I love them all, my bond with him is something that will never ever be repeated.  The house is different .... as much as I love the 3 gsd's we have now, it's not the same.  I don't feel the same connection and yes, it's an empty hollow feeling.  We can do the same things together but I don't get the same joy.

Baron was our first GSD, then came his mate, Tala, a longhaired GSD, then one litter of which we kept two sons Rebel and Rex.  ALL of them left me before Baron did ...... that family was awesome in so many ways.

You learn to move on, it gets to where the pain doesn't keep you from breathing or thinking about your boy.  You learn to remember and hold onto the good times .... but the hole they leave never goes away. 
you have to know they are always with us though in spirit, the lessons, the love, the priceless memories help.

It helps soooo much to share your boy here with people who care and understand.  Pictures, stores whatever you feel comfortable with.

Hugs and prayers on your journey

Norma and the Shadowhoffen Shepherds ~~ Rebel and Rex together forever
Remembering Rebel.. 8-21-01 ~~ 01-15-06
Remembering Rex ... 8-21-01 ~~ 01-22-11
Remembering Tala ... 9/17/2000 ~~ 8/30/11
Remembering Baron ... 3/12/98 ~~ 11/23/11
http://www.premiereshepherds.org/blog ... for Rebels memorial blog and soon to be Rex's as well

http://www.premiereshepherds.org
Quote 0 0
Shadowhoffen
Baron, my handsomeboy 001.jpg my handsome big boy ... my heartdog, my soulmate ..... miss you and think of you every day ..... we will meet again
Norma and the Shadowhoffen Shepherds ~~ Rebel and Rex together forever
Remembering Rebel.. 8-21-01 ~~ 01-15-06
Remembering Rex ... 8-21-01 ~~ 01-22-11
Remembering Tala ... 9/17/2000 ~~ 8/30/11
Remembering Baron ... 3/12/98 ~~ 11/23/11
http://www.premiereshepherds.org/blog ... for Rebels memorial blog and soon to be Rex's as well

http://www.premiereshepherds.org
Quote 0 0