peke_bb
My dog will be 15 on July 21st. He was diagnosed 2 years ago with a mast cell tumor on his paw. Because of the location, the tumor simply can't be removed with clear margins. We were luckily able to manage it with medication and prednisone. The tumor shrunk significantly and he went back to living normally. However, it started growing back and it's infected and gives off a bad odor. We already tried antibiotics for the infection but it didn't help. Because of his age, we don't think it's worth it anymore to spend thousands for cancer treatment. We're currently just managing him until his day is up.

My mom wants me to put him down immediately because of the odor and he stinks up the house. She's bugs me about it all day. I'm having a hard time. I feel like he's not ready to go yet. My dog acts like nothing is wrong with him. He eats and walks around normally. What breaks my hearts is he still follows me around the house. I'm going to miss this so much. I feel like I want to wait until he's really really sick and won't move or eat, then putting him down won't be as difficult. 

Has anyone had this problem? What did you do? I just need advice, or maybe just someone to talk to who understands. Anything is much appreciated. Thank you.
Quote 0 0
IvyMarley
Hello Peke,

I don't want to come accross as piggy backing on your situation but only to share my experience. There is no right or wrong aswer to your question.  However, I understand it first hand.  I was put face to face with the same situation.  I had two amazing Boston Terriers that was diagnosed with cancer.  Ivy was diagnosed almost a year ago to the day with a tumor in her chest which has mastesized in her lungs by August.  Marley in September with nazal tumor that was progressing with an awareness it would eventually reach his brain.  

I chose to not wait till they got to the point of being sick and not eating etc.  Ivy was losing drastic weight and Marley was sneezing blood.  For me it felt right to send them to the Rainbow bridge while activity was still somewhat normal aside from the changes mentioned.  I made the decision to have them go together on 1/26/20.  We spent an amazing day together loving one another and knowing it was our last day together.  I feel my heart breaking as i share this with you.  I had been speaking to them about the time in the days preceeding so there were no surprises and we were all in agreement.  Do I second guess my decision...absolutely.  I know if I held on till their health declined to a drastic point, i would be on the other side of the same emotion of second guessing.  

The memory is still so vivid in my mind.  I keep reminding myself that if i held onto the latter decision that it would have been for me.  The decision to do it the way I did was for them.  

My heart is with you and your furbaby as you contemplate the next steps.  

In our hearts they live forever.  

Peace to you and yours my friend. 
Quote 1 0
Camilla
Don't do it.  If he still has quality of life he needs to stay.  He will let you know when it is time.
Camilla Taylor
Quote 2 0
danzey
To anyone who has never had a "pet" or anyone who hasn't been in this position (yet).........as silly as it might sound; all you have to do is ask them.  I promise you, they do have a way of telling you when it's time..................danzey
Quote 1 0
BoxerMomForever
I agree with quality of life.  If your pet has it, that is all that matters.  If not or if he is suffering, that’s not good.  They usually look at you intently.  My girl stared at me a lot towards the end, didn’t realize she was telling me it was time.  Hugs to you.
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 1 0
CK1991
I’m so sorry you’re going through this very difficult time and it’s so easy to tell how much you love your boy!
I would have to disagree that he will tell you when it’s time. Animals hide their pain. If the antibiotics aren’t helping and his foot is giving off a bad odour I think he is most definitely in pain. You don’t want to look back and think that you let him suffer. I would agree with what Ivymarley said: Spend a wonderful day with him. Make it as as happy and fun as you can and then let him go peacefully. Be with him and let him know he is loved right to the end. Trust me when I say you will be looking back on this decision and you’ll gain comfort knowing you did what was best for him. Hugs to you! 
CK
Quote 1 0
peke_bb
Thank you so much everyone for your responses and for helping me during this difficult time. It truly means a lot. Sadly, he passed on his own this morning. He was always happy, energetic, barking, etc. his whole life even with the cancer, up until the point when my mom suggested putting him down, which was 3 weeks ago. Just seemed like he got sadder and disoriented during these 3 weeks. Then this morning, he started breathing really hard. I hugged and petted him, and told him I love him so much. Seemed like he was okay, like he was falling asleep normally. Then I noticed he stopped breathing, then twitching, then grasping for air. Then he was gone. I'm horrified by the whole thing. Didn't expect him to pass like this. Don't know what else to say right now except this sucks so much. 
Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
Oh no.  I’m very sorry to hear he passed.  Huge hugs to you.  I know how heartbreaking it is.....
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 1 0
Pennysforevermom
Peke_bb,
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. My baby passed suddenly on her own 10 days ago. She was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in January and I was terrified that I would have to put her down. Even though it was a challenge with the medication and incontinence, I am so thankful that I got 2 more months with her instead of choosing euthanasia. She was happy and active during her last 2 months. I'm sharing this with you because I think that you made the right decision. He 
passed on his own near you, and you had an opportunity to tell and show him that you love him before he slipped into eternity. He knows how much you love him.
Quote 1 0
peke_bb
@BoxerMomForever Thank you so much. It truly means a lot and helps me during this difficult time.

@Pennysforevermom I'm very sorry too for your loss. Thank you so much for sharing your story and for your response. It definitely helped me out a lot because I started questioning if I did everything right or if I did something wrong. I think maybe I need to stop looking too hard into it. My family said even though he passed the way he did, he lived a good life and we took good care of him and spoiled him. Thanks again for your help and best wishes to you. 
Quote 0 0
Olvera
Image-11.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Olvera
Olvera wrote:
Image-11.jpg 
Olvera wrote:
Image-11.jpg 
Quote 0 0