Forum

Author   Comment  
pattiwagger

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello everyone,

First thing, I appreciate how there is a forum for pet support. It's wonderful, and thank you for letting me join.

I have a 10 year old rat terrier/chihuahua mix male. His name is Max, and will be 11 in April. For the past two weeks, Max has developed swollen lymph nodes under his jaw. At first, his breath has become horrible, and he barely chews his food well, so I figured it was a bad tooth or some sort. He lost two pounds, and then the lymph nodes started to swell. Then this past weekend, his penis swelled, and began to have a smelly discharge. I finally got bills paid and saved enough to take him to the vet because I figured it was tooth related, and he probably had a uti so I knew it was going to be pricey. Well, the vet said he had a penis infection, and they flushed it and said he will be fine. I also asked him to check Max's teeth because of the lymph nodes. He opened his mouth, checked under his tongue, then felt his whole body. He told me he also felt some swollen lymph nodes on his hind legs and sighed. He said, "This isn't good. This is a sign that he has leukemia." I asked him if he was serious and that if there was any possibility it could be like an infection. He raised his hand at me to hush me and said, "I'm sorry. We'll do a blood panel to confirm."

I have been an emotional wreck. I've had Max since I was 12 years old... Today I should get a call of the results, and I'm so scared, but I have a horrible feeling that it will be the case. My husband was with me when the vet talked to me. He thinks the vet is wrong and that he just ordered a blood panel to get more money out of us, and thinks it's just an infection. Every time I try to talk to him about it, he changes the subject. He's afraid too. Max is our child. Overall, Max acts fine, except he sleeps a lot, which I thought it was due to getting old, and the whole tooth thing. We switched to wet dog food, and he engulfs it whole! He loves that stuff, and he is slowly gaining his weight back.

Have any of you had an experience like this? I'm so worried that I can't sleep. The only people I can talk about this is this forum. My parents and friends don't understand. They say he's old and expects it, and my friend says that it would be best to put him to sleep if it is leukemia. I don't even want to think about that! It's like no one has hope... I pray it's something else. Please tell me your opinions. And be HONEST. I'm not afraid to hear them. I need to know.

Thank you so much, and I pray for those who are suffering over their fur babies.
pattiwagger

Reply with quote  #2 
Update: our sweet Max has Lymphoid Leukemia :( they said his white blood cell count was impressive, as it was 15 times over the norm... all his organ and systems are good surprisingly. They say his form or leukemia is rare and hardly untreatable. They said at most chemo would give us a few months. We don't want out little boy to go through that...

We decided comfort treatment. Steroids and antibiotics for the pain. The prognosis is so bad that the vet didn't want to give me a time frame. She said she didn't want to get my hopes up just in case he leaves us sooner than expected.

I am so heartbroken. No one deserves to go through this, and no fur baby should have to go through any cancer. I've been numb and have cried ever since we got the call. I even called out of work to snuggle with my boy for tonight, and I think everyone at my work thinks I'm mad because I'm skipping work over a "dog." Too bad they don't get to enjoy this beautiful experience. I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world. Max has been with me since I was 12. He helped me through my awkward teenage years, and will always be my first love.

Right now I'm going to spoil him even more than ever before and load him up with so many treats that he won't know what to think. He has given me the best years of my life, and he deserves the best last days of the world.

Take care everyone, and enjoy every loving moment with your fur babies. You never know when the last days are to come.

God bless.
Beesmom123

Reply with quote  #3 
Pattiwagger
I am so very sorry for what you are going through

Please spend all the time you can with your beloved Max and just tune out the people that don't understand what you are going through
I pity such people because they never got to experience the kind of bond we share with our beloved companions

What I wouldn't give for just 5 more minutes with the beloved boy I lost just over 12 weeks ago
But of course there is never enough time

Take care and stay strong for Max

Diana

Reply with quote  #4 
I just lost my Allie who was 13. Vet gave her at the most 3 months. Check out Life Gold for Dogs with Cancer. Reviews are astounding! Gave me 6precious months with Allie. May give you more time!
Tammara

Reply with quote  #5 
Mayette,
What I would've given the opportunity to use Life Gold for King. Unfortunately, it was too late when I received the order. If I only had more time.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.