Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
PRINCEYBABY

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all, this is the first time I have ever done anything like this before, as I think we all have, I turned to google to research symptoms / prognosis and thought these forums may help me get some answers from others in my situation. I have a beautiful 11 year old Labrador and around October realised his breathing seemed noisy, particularly through his nose. Trip to the vets and he was given some antibiotics, they seemed to be make a difference so he finished his course and that was that. over Christmas we realised his breathing was getting noisier and getting a bit of clear snot coming from his right nostril, and that his right eye was watering (no gunk just a lot of water). Back to the vets in Jan where they had a look for any signs of scratch / infection but noting. Eye drops were given and anti-inflammatorys. Breathing was mentioned again but was a different vet and he said it was perhaps due to his age and that its well known for labs to have (I think he said) laryngeal paralysis. Anyway, over the following week or so, I noticed a lot of snot coming from his right nostril, some had blood in it and his eye still hadn't cleared up so I thought id give my usual vet a call.  After discussing symptoms, the two possibilities were a nasal tumour or aspergillosis. We agreed for him to go in for bloods, xray and rhinoscopy. As we do not have our boy insured, these would be the best option for him which would be more affordable for us.  Results in.... xrays show that one side of his nostril is near enough completely white shadow over it which shows no gases passing through.  rhinoscopy showed no discharge, just inflamed red tissue.  Options were to take a biopsy of the tissue but our vet advised that they may not be able to take enough of the tissue due to its location plus this could cause a massive bleed which will be very traumatic for our boy. Even if they took a biopsy, if the results confirmed it was a tumour, treatment would be very limited due to location (1 inch from the right eye) and very costly.  His view was it is a tumour of a "substantial size". He couldn't completely rule out aspergillosis though as he cant 100% say its a tumour due to not having a 3d CT scan but there was no discharge or anything that would suggest it is aspergillosis. We have a weeks worth of antibitotics for a fungal infection just to see if we can get any mucus shifting and also he is on metacam which he is on for his joints anyway. Basically, vet said keep an eye on him and xray him in a month or 2 and compare the 2 xrays to see how quick it is growing.

I'm so sorry for the long explanation, but really wanted to know if anyone has been through anything similar.... I would really appreciate anything you can advise me on. Thank you for reading x

__________________
JLEES
0
nosunshine

Registered:
Posts: 53
Reply with quote  #2 
Gosh, this is a difficult one! My little Sunny died because of cancer but it was in a different area. My suggestion would be to have the x-ray done in a month and if it worsens and the vet then can be sure it is a tumour (and based in the fact that it would be inoperable) you may need to make a very tough decision out of love for your dog and the need to put his quality of life first. It seems like an extremely painful place for a tumour so I would at that time look at making a very tough decision. I'm sorry you are going through this and hoping it won't grow and that maybe the anti fungal will work!
Blessings to you all,
Sharon
0
Leegrey

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #3 
Hello! My kitty, Chico, was diagnosed with a nasal sarcoma in 2013 and we just put him to sleep last month. My vet tried what I believe is an experimental therapy of Cyclophosphamide and Palladia every other day and he had a great quality of life for almost three more years! Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.
0
Dsblack24

Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #4 
My boy Rudy (boxer mix) was diagnosed with a nasal tumor in June 2016. The vet had said based on the size and growth, I would be losing him in 2-3 months. He had no airflow in both nostrils along with constant running/bloody noses. He was still a happy boy so rather than put him down, I decided to research alternatives besides radiation. I came across a few forums recommending CBD oil for treatment. I was told that CBD oil attacked cancer cells while relieving any pain. I decided to start him on it right away and get him off his meds that were noticibly killing him slowly. To this day, the tumor is still present but it appears the size has gone down. He has slight airflow in his nostrils and a once a month bloody nose episode which normally clears after 2-3 days. He is back to being the same happy, active and crazy boy that he was prior to the tumor. He is now 11 years old and still causing chaos as a senior! His vet has named him ‘wonder dog’ because of his progress. Hopefully this will help while you’re deciding on treatment options. Good luck with everything.
0
PRINCEYBABY

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #5 
Thankyou for your replies. Sorry it's been a while, I forgot my password :) great news about your boy DSblack24. I have just got some Jacob Hooy CBD+ oil but struggling with the dosage... I wondered where you got your dosage from. The internet tells me far too many oils/mg I am totally lost!!!

Since my original post, he now has no air coming through either nostrils and keeps getting infections in his right eye, mainly because he keeps rubbing his face on the floor I think, Nose bleeds are more regular now and his nose is slowly starting to change shape ever so slightly. The bet has also noticed his bone is slightly softer on the tumor side 😢 I just want to make him as comfortable as possible for however long we have left with him xx

__________________
JLEES
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.