Forum

Author   Comment  
Sunnys_got_cancer_2010

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello.  I'm new to the group and looking for suggestions and support.  Our dog Sunny (short for Sunset) is 8 years old and has a nasal tumor.  We have spent over $3000 at a specialty hospital getting a CT and some other diagnostic work done.  Her tumor is inoperable because of its location in the head.  So the next best treatment option is radiation.  The costs are enormous!  We want to help her and have her with us for as long as possible but do not want to have her miserable with whatever time she might have left....and we also don't want to have our car repo'd because we couldn't make payments due to the vet bills!  I tried to see if she was eligible for clinical trials at our vet school but that didn't work out either.

It's so scary and frustrating. If we had an account full of money sitting around I think we might try radiation.  But since we don't I was wondering if you all had any thoughts on going the holistic route as far as diet and supplements.

Right now she is on gabapentin (neurontin) 300mg capsule for 2-3 times per day - which does make her sleepy.  She also takes rimadyl (not sure of spelling) for pain management once per day.  We are giving her that Chinese medication supplement to help control bleeding...Yunnan Baio (again...spelling?) 

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks so much

CK1991

Reply with quote  #2 
I’m so sorry you’re facing this dilemma! It has to be about Sunny’s quality of life, from my perspective. I would continue with the painkillers as holistic therapies are not proven. I’m not putting holistic therapy down but only to ask: would you know if Sunny was in pain? My advice would be simple. I would keep Sunny at home and comfortable with pain medication as long as possible. Enjoy the time you have with her even though it will be sad sometimes. When she is not able to enjoy her life anymore I would go with her to the vet and hold her while the vet helps her find peace. I’m so sorry as I know this isn’t where your mind is right now but it helps to have a plan and then you can relax and have fun with your beloved Sunset. “Tomorrow is promised to no one.” All we really have is today. If you can adopt that philosophy with Sunny it will bring you peace. Enjoy your time with her and even more importantly let her enjoy her time with you.
Hugs and peace to you!
CK
skelletor

Reply with quote  #3 
I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. My mom is a vet and always told me that pets can’t tell you how they feel, and they don’t know that some of the treatments we do to try to save them are to help them, and some may cause them more pain for little gain. It’s hard but it’s up to us to decide when their quality of life is no longer enjoyable. Being sedintary, loss of apetite & weight loss are some real signs of low life quality, and at that point it may be time to think about letting go. I also believe you should never feel guilty for not being able to afford every treatment in the world. Happiness and peace to you and Sunny.
Sunnys_got_cancer_2010

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you both for your thoughtful replies. We are hanging in there for now. Watching for the signs it’s time to let go. Until then trying to do things that bring her the most joy.
Shanamylove

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm so sorry for poor Sunny. I cannot even imagine what you must be going through. I too would try to do everything possible to save my dog. But as a few people have previously pointed out, is this a good quality of life for Sunny. I know it's a lot easier for us to say this because Sunny is not ours. Also whose to say that radiation therapy would even work? This may leave Sunny with a whose new set of problems. No one or pet for that matter is promised the next moment. I would know. My precious Shana collapsed and died after my son and I returned home from running a 40 errand. I will never know what happened to her. But I can tell you that I am so grateful for every bit of the 10 years I had with her. I know how much you love Sunny, but please try's and do what's best for her. Please keep us informed. Be well and try to stay strong. Know that we are and will be here for you.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.