bartlett
Once more I am back at this place that no one wants to be where they've had to put there precious .pet to sleep. Brody has been suffering with collapsed trachea for quite some time but I've been able to treat him and keep it somewhat under control. For the last couple of days his coughing and shortness of breath have gotten much worse to the point where I was afraid he was going to lose his breath totally and suffocate. Even though it's a holiday I had to call my vet because this could not go on another day. Brody has been owned by at least two other people before I got him about 9 years ago so I think he had to be at least 14 or 15 years old.He was a very needy little fellow and since I was retired I was able to spoil him and tend to his needs which nobody else had done.  I know people thought I pampered him too much but I did just exactly what I wanted to do which was to love him unconditionally. I have just laid him to rest in my backyard. I'm 81 years old but I managed to do this by myself because I didn't want anyone else to witness my grief. I have three other dogs and they all have a special place in my heart but I will miss Brody so much and I will always think of him looking up at me with those big eyes and saying thank you for loving me. My heart is broken. I'll try to post a picture of my baby later. The one that's on here now was Chester who I lost about 4 years ago and still miss to this very day.
joan bartlett
Quote 0 0
Buddy_Mama
Dear Joan: I’m so sorry for your loss of your Brody, and your Chester too. I can identify with so much of what you describe. I’m so glad you gave Brody a wonderful 9 years full of attention, pampering and love. The deeper we love, the deeper we grieve. Please be good to yourself, and remember that everyone here knows what you’re feeling and truly understands. Sending you hugs...
Cindy (Buddy’s mama)
My baby Buddy 5/4/10-3/7/20, rescued March 2011
My sweet Mandy 11/27/91-11/2/10, rescued November 1992
My beautiful Barney 4/28/73-9/7/92, adopted May 1973
Quote 0 0
bartlett
Dear Cindy, thanks for your reply and understanding. I've just gotten ready for bed which usually means putting a diaper on Brodie, putting pillows on the bed to keep him from falling off and getting him settled down for the night. I find myself heading to the closet to get his pillows. Even though my other dogs sleep in the bed with me it still seems so empty. I know I did the right thing for my little buddy but it doesn't make it one bit easier. I don't know what Id do if I didn't have my other dog's since I live by myself.  I don't know how long it's been since you lost your kitty cat but I hope it's better for you now if it's been awhile. Time does make things easier. It hasn't been long since I had to put my cat down that I had had for about 20 years. She was a stray when she arrived here so I don't know how old she really was. She was such a sweet lovable kitty cat and just acted like she was one of the dog gang. She was so healthy for all those many years until her kidneys failed.  
joan bartlett
Quote 1 0