BorderCollieLover
I went to visit Shelby yesterday at Abbey Glen Pet Memorial Park. I left my house at 7:30 AM. It would be a 1.5 hour drive. Abbey Glen is located in Sussex County in Northern NJ. Traffic was light and seemed to thin appreciably as I approached the small town of Andover. From there I had to access State Road 94 and proceed to the cemetary which was located in a provincial setting with lots of farms, old homes and small road-side markets.  I pulled into the front gate and went straight to the main office. One of the office personnel (Cathy) walked me over to Shelby's site. Abbey Glen is dotted with flower gardens, stone pathways and finely manicured lawns. The grandeur of the rolling hills is breathtaking, It's absolutely beautiful. As we approached Shelby's site, I noticed a series of about (10) large headstones right off the road. "What are those?", I asked. Cathy explained that they were for horses. Sure enough, as I got a closer look, there were images of equines on the granite blocks. I didn't know that horses were represented at Abbey Glen. But they are, Right past the equine section  was a white stone pathway. We croosed over that and there it was - Shelby's site. Her marker is actually on the side of a small hill. I could feel the tears starting to roll down my cheeks. Cathy told me that there was stone bench (about 30 yards away) where I could sit and reflect on everything. Cathy knew that I wanted to be left alone  After she left, I placed flowers by Shelb's marker. Then I just lost it, I wept uncontrollably for about (5) minutes. When I regained my composure, I noticed something very comforting on the top of the hill, about (20) feet above Shelb's site. It was a flower garden that was resplendent with lots of Fall flowers. I was so glad to see that, I stayed another (10) minutes or so and told Shelb's how much I missed her and loved her. I would return again real soon. On the way home, I felt a feeling of calmness descend upon me. Almost as if a "Border Collie Angel" had landed on my shoulders and told me" Jim, Shelby is in God's care right now. She's OK. No pain. She misses you too." When I got home, I knew I needed to hug a dog (or two), so I went over to visit Chocolate and Oreo. They are Border Collies (both males), age 7, and full of energy. Chocolate and Oreo knew Shelby but they never hung out together due to the big age difference, C&O's owner had invited me over to visit with her Boys. She knew that I was hurting and the best medicine for me was a visit with them.  It was special and just what I needed,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
JinglesMom
Dear Jim,

Your words about your visit to Abbey Glen to see your sweet Shelby were so beautiful and heartfelt, they brought tears to my eyes. Her final resting place sounds so pretty and so peaceful. Being so close to your special girl again, and then seeing those brilliant fall flowers must have meant the world to you. How wonderful that on your way home that you had a feeling of calmness descend upon you. That was most certainly an angel letting you know that your dear Shelby is happy and healthy again, and that she can feel your deep love for her even now. She is in God's loving care now, and He will take such good care of her until your journey here is over, and you are reunited. I know that she misses you so much, but she knows that she will see you again one day.

That is so sweet how visiting Chocolate and Oreo helped to heal your heart after such an emotional day, yes it was just what you needed, and I cannot help but feel that your dear Shelby had a hand (or paw) in that also. Well I just wanted to let you know how happy I am to hear about your lovely and poignant visit with your little girl, and I have absolutely no doubt that she was watching over you then, as she is watching over you now, and she must be so happy and so proud to know how very much she is loved and cherished, not only while on this earth, but beyond the rainbow. The love never ends, it just keeps getting stronger. Please know that you and your sweet Shelby are in my thoughts and prayers today, tomorrow, and always. Sending hugs your way, Pamela
Pamela Lynne Crawford
Quote 0 0
Gingers_Mommy
Dear Jim, reading through your post brought me to tears. You explained your experience so thoroughly that reading it i could picture the entire scene. My heart goes out to you. I'm glad after the wave of grief you were able to feel the calmness and that visit with the 2 Border Collie friends offered your soul some comfort.

Quote 0 0
chilover
Jim.

What a beautiful read, the description of AG sounds absolutely breathtaking, a place I am sure your Shelby would appreciate. I was wondering about your visit there & how it all went..

I am sure Shelby was with you in spirit whilst you were there & could feel your love for her radiate....

Feeling the little angel bc on your shoulder sounded comforting..

I am glad you were able to give chocolate & Oreo a hug..

Since my beautiful Daisy & I parted I have had a stronger urge to go over and stroke & hug dogs but when I do I walk away crying & hurting because it's not my little girl..Hopefully one day it will stop...

I am so glad that these wonderful places for our pets exist

Stay strong

Daisy's mummy

Angelina.

Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Thanks Pam:

I am so glad that I visited my little girl yesterday. Yes, Abbey Glen is a beautiful place. The flower gardens, rolling hills and stone pathways are a sight to behold. I was so focused on seeing Shelby's site that I didn't go over to see my other (2) babies: Puma (Border Collie) and Molly (Terrier). I'll be sure to take flowers to their sites on my next visit. Puma and Molly are in different sections - away from Shelby. It was my intent to have them all together in one section but I was informed that they were about (20) yards away from Shelby. So they're all pretty close to one another. 
Yes, seeing Chocolate and Oreo yesterday was a blessing in disguise. Just hanging out with them for a little while was a real mood elevator. Chocolate kept licking my face. Oreo is affectionate too, but not to the same degree as Chocolate, He came over to me and wanted his belly rubbed. Aftert some TLC, Oreo had enough and wanted to eat his dinner. I gave both of them a big hug (Chocolate was still trying to lick my face) before I left. Both did that unmistakeable Border Collie stare when I got up to leave. They are special dogs.

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Hi Gingers_Mommy:

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, Abbey Glen is a beautiful place. It's actually nicer than a lot of human cemetaries. Words alone do not do it justice. Seeing Chocolate & Oreo afterwards was certainly therapeutic. They put me in a better frame of mind. The healing power of dogs is amazing. They really can make you feel better. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Hi Angelina:

Thanks for your reply. I can certainly understand that trying to hug another dog evokes memories of your beloved Daisy and brings about tears. That just goes to show that your (forever) love for Daisy was very real. It was special and you are just embracing it. You want to hold on longer and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I really like that. Nothing fake or disingenuous about that. Maybe, one day you'll be able to hug and show love to another dog without crying. Until that day arrives (or doesn't) savor your relationship with Daisy. You were so fortunate to have found one another. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Abbey Glen sounds like such a lovely place, Jim....and the view of the hills in the distance....how lovely. What a fitting resting-place for your Shelby's body.

It's good to hear you had company with Chocolate and Oreo afterwards, and that you have a friend who is caring and understands.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Shelby wasn't with you anyway on the drive ?
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Mistysmama:

Thanks for your uplifting words. Although the finality of all this has already sunk in, my love for Shelby has not diminished at all. I will love her forever. Nothing will ever change that, 
Yes, seeing Chocolate and Oreo on Saturday was a Blessing. They actually knew Shelby. Their owner wondered if they could all hang out together. C &O were (4) at the time. Shelby was (15). My gut feeling was that they were a liitle too young and energetic for my Shelby. I didn't want them to intimidate her. Knowing Shelby as I did, she probably would've put up quite a fight. She was a tough Alpha dog. So, the play date with C&O never materialized. Probably best. C&O have a nice life now. Their owner loves them to pieces. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0