helen_yun Show full post »
helen_yun
Hi, Charlie:
Thank you for your kind words, and I am so sorry for your lost too! I only hope they all knew just how much we love them and we tried our best to save them from pain. 

I am trying my very best to get better.

Helen

AstrosDad wrote:
So very sorry about your loss.  The best that we can do is the best we can do.  We rely on others to help us make terrible decisions in the most desperate of situations.  Vets are definitely not the gods or fixers that we hope they will be, and certainly not the miracle workers that they often present.  I find that they are many times too ready to SELL HOPE because HOPE SELLS.  We like to think that it isn't all business, but in the end, a lot of it is.  I think the most we can expect is a vet that is genuinely compassionate.

Just lost my pooch 2 weeks ago and wasn't happy with the at-home euthanasia because it took three sedatives to relax him over a long period of time while my boy struggled to breathe even worse than before.  In other words, the sedative(s) seemed to make the ending MORE of a struggle.  Then after the fact, I saw a blurb on the Internet about how if a dog is already having breathing problems, he may not need the sedative - just cut to the chase and give him the lethal injection.  So, I feel very guilty about the last 20 minutes of his suffering, struggling life.

Doesn't sound like you have anything to feel guilty about at all.  You gave your love and did your best and it sucks that we can't control things when the horrible reality slaps us in the face and things start quickly spiraling downward.

Try to redirect your thoughts to all the good things you gave to each other.  So, so, so many millions of animals have wretched lives, and all of the people on this forum are only guilty of giving love and care to a lucky few.  Those babies that you have taken care of were and are so very fortunate.  That's how I try to keep it in perspective.  Good luck.
Quote 1 0
helen_yun
Hi, Andee:
I just went to talk to the owner of the clinic today, he was there earlier that day and he did take a look at my baby. You know what he said to me? He said with her critical condition, he was surprised she even lasted that long for me to pick her up! He admitted that someone should have notified me right away about her critical condition and shouldn't have just said nothing! So do you think they didn't know what condition my baby was in? And still passed her to me like it was nothing? 

I dropped them in the morning, they said they would call me when my babies are ready to be picked up, because they need to rest and wear off that anesthesia. I was waiting for the call until 5:30pm thinking maybe they had to delay the surgery because it was a Monday. They told me my babies are fine and just resting! And I looked the the paperwork, they started the surgery around 11am and finished little after 12 noon! Nobody bothered to call me and tell me my baby is in critical condition! 

I was with this clinic for 12 long years, they were the first vet my baby visited, and I stayed with them because I trusted them 100%. I used to live just 3 minutes away from them, but I moved away, about 40 minutes drive without traffic. That day, I started to drive around 6pm, and because of traffic it took me 2 hours to get to the clinic, and once I arrived at the clinic, I WAS STILL NOT told how critical her condition was, just she's doing fine, but I need to move her to ER so someone can watch her breathing overnight!  

I hope you see what I am trying to point out here, the vets were simply negligent in every-way! The owner of the clinic was telling me today the ER shouldn't have let me kept her alive on ventilator because from the start she didn't have any chance!!!!! Do you see the wrong ???? Even if there were slightest chance of saving her, I would go for it without blinking an eye! 

Helen

Andee wrote:
I am so sorry for the traumatic loss of your beloved dog. You had quite the difficult experience. I know it is painful to lose a pet and we look for blame and feel guilty right after the loss. You are not to blame at all. You did what you could for your fur baby.

Vets seem to get the blame sometimes when a pet dies. In some cases, they may very well be at fault. In your case, how would the vet know your dog was going to stop breathing on your way to the emergency animal hospital or that she would get pneumonia? The vet would tell you to take your dog to emergency because that is what she believes is best for your dog. There would be no one to take care of her if you left her at the vet clinic in an oxygen tank. I haven't heard of ambulances for animals.

I don't blame you at all in your poor dog's death, I know you love your dog and did your best for her. I am wondering however, why did you not pick up your dogs until 8 o'clock when they were going to be ready for pick up by 4 or 5 o'clock? Were you at work? If the vet wanted to speak to me about my dog, I would go to the vet immediately.

I am not seeking fault or blame in your case, my questions are to understand your situation a bit better. Hugs 🤗 to you!!
Quote 1 0
helen_yun
By the way, I didn't know about any pet ambulances until the ER told me there are ambulances all over the city, and every vet should know about it in case of emergency. They have been in business for a very long time, I really doubt the clinic too didn't know about pet ambulance like us. 
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Andee,

I find it really interesting that you always appear to be so PRO VET in your posts here on the Pet Grief Support Forum. You've just been harsh (if not insulting & rude) with someone who is still in the process of grieving, and has a very valid complaint with her Vet, in your last post.

"Vets seem to get the blame sometimes when a pet dies. In some cases, they may very well be at fault. In your case, how would the vet know your dog was going to stop breathing on your way to the emergency animal hospital or that she would get pneumonia? The vet would tell you to take your dog to emergency because that is what she believes is best for your dog. There would be no one to take care of her if you left her at the vet clinic in an oxygen tank. I haven't heard of ambulances for animals."

"I don't blame you at all in your poor dog's death, I know you love your dog and did your best for her. I am wondering however, why did you not pick up your dogs until 8 o'clock when they were going to be ready for pick up by 4 or 5 o'clock? Were you at work? If the vet wanted to speak to me about my dog, I would go to the vet immediately."

You are very careful in how you disarm someone and then insult them in the same paragraph. "I don't blame you" but now "I am going to blame you."

And you have also attacked me in a previous post when I complained about Veterinary care in general. I stood down that time and took your slight, but I will not do so again, watching you bully another here.

Are you a Vet by chance?

Do you work in a Vet's office?

Are you part of the Veterinary Industry in some form?

You basically wrote that the Vet in Helen's predicament would have done the right thing without fail, but that IS NOT THE CASE. The Vet WAS in the wrong.

WTH?

James
Quote 2 1
helen_yun
BTW Andee:
I forgot to mention in my reply to your earlier post that I actually took off the whole day from work just waiting to pickup my babies. But I wanted to make sure they were rested and ready for pickup that's why I waited for that call.  I don't think it's fair for you to even think I was at WORK and didn't have time to care for my babies. That is NOT true. 

In fact, I was UNABLE to go back to work the entire week until now I'm still having break downs at home crying and having nightmares. 
Helen

Andee wrote:
I am so sorry for the traumatic loss of your beloved dog. You had quite the difficult experience. I know it is painful to lose a pet and we look for blame and feel guilty right after the loss. You are not to blame at all. You did what you could for your fur baby.

Vets seem to get the blame sometimes when a pet dies. In some cases, they may very well be at fault. In your case, how would the vet know your dog was going to stop breathing on your way to the emergency animal hospital or that she would get pneumonia? The vet would tell you to take your dog to emergency because that is what she believes is best for your dog. There would be no one to take care of her if you left her at the vet clinic in an oxygen tank. I haven't heard of ambulances for animals.

I don't blame you at all in your poor dog's death, I know you love your dog and did your best for her. I am wondering however, why did you not pick up your dogs until 8 o'clock when they were going to be ready for pick up by 4 or 5 o'clock? Were you at work? If the vet wanted to speak to me about my dog, I would go to the vet immediately.

I am not seeking fault or blame in your case, my questions are to understand your situation a bit better. Hugs 🤗 to you!!
Quote 1 0
Will_Never_Forgive_Myself

Hello Andee,

Thoroughly read Helen's entire post. Maybe twice. Maybe thrice. Her dog was in an oxygen tank because her dog’s trachea completely collapsed. I don’t see where she blames the vet for the complete trachea collapse or directly blames the vet for the pneumonia. The fact is no one called her when it happened. That's absolutely wrong.  She had to call them at 5:30 and was told everything was fine and the vet wanted to speak to her when she arrived. They told her everything was fine, never indicating a problem. She was going to this place for over 10 years. She trusted them that if it was serious the vet would be on the phone which is what should have happened. She was assured her dog was in good care and the vet may have wanted to go over some things with her later. What difference does it make what time she got there, even if she got there at 5:30?  Her dog was in dire straits since after the procedure. They should have asked her to come in right away because her dog needed emergency care. Hours went by and no told her the condition her dog was in. How would the vet know her dog would stop breathing on the way to the ER?  I would think that if you have a complete collapsed trachea and are taken out of an oxygen tank, that you would have labored breathing. They would know that. Maybe her dog would have lived if 7 hours didn’t go by before telling her the last minute that she had to take her somewhere else. Every pet parent should be told there’s a serious problem with their pet as soon as they are aware. Maybe they knew her dog had pneumonia. It looks like they may not have done lab work before the procedure. A lot of things don’t add up. That’s why this vet is to blame.

Vets get the blame when they ARE the blame and the causality. How would you like it if someone in your family fell ill while at a doctor’s office and they had them lie down to rest for hours and never told you there was something wrong, only telling you everything was fine. Then you get there, and your family member is so ill, he/she has to go to a hospital, and should have been in a hospital already.  So much time had gone by that by the time you get to the hospital he/she dies?  The same thing, except in that case, a lawyer would represent you because your family member is not considered a piece of property.

You're lucky if you've never experienced something like this when a vet ignored your pet's needs. 

Answers to your questions won’t do you any good unless have something to do with veterinarians. 

Quote 1 1
Jcunnane
Hi Helen,

I've been following the updates and I just wanted to say I'm sending you all the strength, courage, perseverance and tons of hugs as you seek justice for Hershey. That was pure neglect on the vets behalf and it's absolutely disgusting and awful. It makes me sick to my stomach. 

If there's anything you need, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Hugs,
Jackie 

Bubby's (Milo) Mommy - Always & Forever My Little Man 💜

Quote 1 0
Andee
Hi Helen, I am glad you were able to talk to the owner of the clinic. It is difficult to tell what his motive is. If he was there earlier in the day, took a look at your baby, and decided her condition was critical, then he should have been the one to call you right then and there, or at the very least, had someone call you. He seems to be the shady one.

I meant no harm by asking if you were working. You had said that the vet place told you that morning your dogs would be ready at 4 or 5, so I was just wondering what the delay was. When someone shares their detailed story with conflicting or double details, the reader may need to ask questions to get a better picture.

Sorry, there are others hi-jacking your post by addressing me. I have not read their posts. I see only who wrote them and they both have recently taken to harassing me. I have done nothing to them.

Best wishes and hugs 🤗 to you!

Furry Love Is Forever
Quote 1 2
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Andee,

Look it up:

CON-DE-SCENDING

Adjective

1.) Having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

Synonyms: patronizing, supercilious, superior, snobbish, snobby, scornful, disdainful, lofty, lordly, haughty, imperious.

James

Quote 1 1
helen_yun
Hi, Jackie:
Thank you for all your kind words, I really appreciate it.  I am in contact with the vet boards, and they will be investigating.  Even if the results are not what I look for, at least I know I tried my best to find justice, so others won't have to go through the same thing. 

Helen 

Jcunnane wrote:
Hi Helen,

I've been following the updates and I just wanted to say I'm sending you all the strength, courage, perseverance and tons of hugs as you seek justice for Hershey. That was pure neglect on the vets behalf and it's absolutely disgusting and awful. It makes me sick to my stomach. 

If there's anything you need, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Hugs,
Jackie 
Quote 0 0