Lululove
I lost my sweetheart Louie today, she was 13. I took her to get groomed and while I was blow drying her coat and turned around to put the dryer down, she jumped off of the table and broke her neck. She was the sweetest puggy and I am devastated. I am overwhelmed with guilt for turning away for a second. I kept telling her I love her. I am lost....
Quote 0 0
Domo
Oh, I am so sorry. Prayers and a big hug to you. It’s so hard. I’ve blamed myself too. I think most of us do, no matter the circumstances. Please hang in there.
Quote 0 0
Lululove
Thanks Domo for the nice words. The guilt is overwhelming. I miss her so much, she was all love. Peace my friend...
Quote 0 0
Living_with_tragedy
Lululove,

I am so sorry that this happened to your beloved Louie.  It's impossible to think anything like that can happen.  Don't feel guilty. You would have never expected that would happen. I deal with guilt, trying to relieve myself of it. My little 6 yr old dog passed during routine dental. The whole story is fishy. I'm filing a state complaint. My dog was a very nervous dog and the vet wrote that in the notes. I had awful thoughts that something similar to what happened with your Louie happened to my Parker.  They never told me much, but I worry he died due to his fright and fear and that the vet neglected to call to tell me my dog was in panic mode. I would have certainly brought him home immediately if he was petrified. 

Please don't blame yourself.  It's a tragic thing for you to experience and you are probably going through so many emotions right now.  It's hard to lose our baby, especially when it's unexpected.  Please come back to this forum if you need a shoulder to lean on. We're all here to help one another heal. There are a lot of nice people here who are loving and uplifting.  My thoughts are with you.  Take care.  Again, I am very sorry for your loss. 

Parker's Mom
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Dear Lululove, I’m so sorry to hear you’ve lost your beloved Louie. Things can just happen so fast! You could never except that he would jump off the table. I’m a real believer in each of God’s creatures having a set time. Sadly, this was Louie’s time. Parker’s mom is right. There are many lovely people on this forum who will help to lift you up and support you during this dark time. Hugs to you!
CK
Quote 0 0
deedee76
I am so very sorry to hear about your beautiful pugs passing.  my pug Koby died last Friday and like you I feel so guilty I am overcome with grief its like I've been kicked in the stomach.  my pug had only turned 6 in June and he was my life.  we were best friends he greeted me everyday when I came home from work at the gate and slept beside me every night.  he hadn't been well for a few weeks but had been on steroids/anti biotics last Thursday he wasn't well and I brought him to vet who said he had an infection and I wasn't really happy with what he said but I didn't question it - why didn't I question him.....  I think part of it was I relieved it was nothing serious so i just wanted to take my dog and go home.  Friday morning Koby was very ill and in turn he died at the vets on his own without me as I was at work they said he had gastroenteritis.  I hope you come to a time where  the good memories far outweigh the bad I'm sure your Louie loved going anywhere with you as long as ye were together I hope you can get some comfort in this most distressing time love from Ireland. 

Dee

Quote 0 0
Lynne631
I am so sorry.  I know these things will happen.  They are always unexpected, so please do not be so hard on yourself.  It sounds like your pug lived a long life, and was blessed with your love, and care.  
Quote 0 0
Zaneta
I am sorry for your loss. I also suffer horribly and feel guilt. My beautiful Bella drowned in our swimming pool two days ago. I am also dgevastated. My Bella was a Boston Terrier and was 14,5 and had cataract. It happened just two days ago and I don’t know how I will get over it. The passing of your puggy sounds tragic as well. I am sending hugs.
Quote 0 0
jerigraehl
I am SO sorry. This was a tragic accident. NOT your fault. So many of us on here (myself included) are suffering horrific guilt on many levels of 'what ifs'.  If we could go back through our entire lives there is a whole lot each of us would probably change. I certainly wish I had some do overs. My loss of my precious Tonkinese cat Khaomanee last Sun 7-21-19 included. I know this is terribly painful for you right now and will always be a trauma sealed into your heart. I wish I could take your pain away from having had such a terrible accident to  have to bear. Who would have thought he would jump off the table???? No one could possibly forsee such a thing. I can't imagine the pain you have suffered over seeing that. I am so sorry that happened to Bella and to you. Telling your story will possibly save something like this from happening to someone else. Again I am sorry and again it is NOT your fault. Bella made the mistake that she did not realize would cost her her life - you did not make her or tell her to do it. It was just a tragic accident all the way around. Jeri
jerigraehl
Quote 0 0
jerigraehl
I am sorry I mean to say Louie - when responding to his jumping off the table.

jerigraehl
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Maureen,

I too am sorry & saddened to learn of your loss. Evidently the tragic, freak accident like you recently experienced is far more common than one would expect.

I read of another recent incidence on the Reddit Grief Thread, wherein a dog (a chihuahua) fell off of a gentleman's knee (where the dog was used to being perched) during a party and fell flat onto it's back and passed away. The entire party stopped and everyone began mourning as the dog was so popular among the party goers. Almost like a local celebrity.

I also read of a cat who fell the wrong way from a futon and passed. The only reason why the parents knew how it was killed, was due to the tragedy being caught on an interior security camera.

My cat Marmalade (an orange & white tabby cat) balance was severely damaged back in March of 2018, while he was on the operating table during his 1st surgery and he either had a stroke or nerve damage and was maimed. His equilibrium was totally off. He fell off of our couch arm (his favorite perch) flat on his back and knocked the wind out of himself and then he fell off of the main sitting area of the couch twice. I went and purchased a very long and large stuffed bear (which I dubbed "Safety Bear") to run alongside the couch in case he fell again. I suppose small mattresses or piece of foam could also be a protective measure.

I can well imagine how even a small fall could fatally injure a dog or a cat, but it is not something you really hear about. I suppose it would be a good idea to look at pet-proofing a home the same way people look at child-proofing a home. It makes sense.

This Grief Forum has really important information not only about grief but about health, treatment, medication, prevention and safety etc. I think everyone should be made aware of what can happen, when it comes to possible falls, and you just did that by sharing your story here. Thank you for doing so.

Kind regards & my sincerest condolences,
James
Quote 0 0