jellypug
Hi everyone,

I lost my beautiful cat Socks a little over a month ago, and am struggling so much going about day-to-day life. I had never experienced a loved one's passing before this so I'm finding it all very overwhelming and like nothing I've felt before. Socks was such a bright ray of sunshine in my life, and so affectionate that we spent hours every day together with her on my chest. She was also so in tune with my feelings that whenever I was feeling down she would sense it and comfort me. It is so, so hard coping with her absence, the house feels empty without her. She was 11 years old when she passed, which I know is a long life, but still feels far too short for what a wonderful soul she was. Since her passing my family and I have considered adopting another cat but I don't know if it's too soon, or if that would even help. I did visit some kittens recently and interacting with them gave me a feeling of peace that I hadn't had since Socks was with us. But hanging out with some kittens for an hour is very different from actually adopting one of course. I just don't know what the answer is. I also suffer with some intense anxiety that Socks was so wonderful at easing, so since she's been gone things have been pretty awful. Everything just feels so hollow without her.
Have any of you adopted another pet since your loss, and if so how long did you wait and what was your experience like? Sorry for the long post by the way, and thank you for reading.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Jellypug,

I am very saddened to read of your recent loss. You can easily tell in your words how much you loved and adored Socks. She must have equally loved and adored you in return. I lost my own cat, and orange Tabby cat named "Marmalade" when he had to be put down just over 9 months ago. 2 months after he passed I came across a stray kitten that had been attacked. At first I thought it was a coyote but then recently came to realize it was the pitt bull behind the house that the stray kitten had been hanging around. He is a black and white Tuxedo cat I named "KID" as he has a little Charlie Chaplin-esque mustache and in that film Charlie adopts an orphan.

I had sworn that I would never, not ever have another pet in my life I was so completely shattered and heartbroken when I lost Marmalade. But KID needed help and a friend and I evidently needed a friend too. I took him in and he won my heart over.

Since this time, when ever I am blue, he does something that makes me smile and laugh. He has brought a great deal of love, light and happiness into my life. He is kind, calm, silly, funny, sweet and loving. I have had him 7 months now and thank God that our paths crossed when they did. He is now my best friend and my son. Just as Marmalade was. 

Kind regards & my sincerest condolences,
James
(Papa of KID and Marmalade.)
Quote 0 0
jellypug
Hi James,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing about KID and Marmalade. Your comment about needing a friend really struck me-Socks was truly my best friend, and I have felt so lonely since losing her. I'm going to continue looking into adopting another cat, because I would truly love to make another animal best friend. Once again, thank you for replying and I'm so sorry for your loss of Marmalade. At the same time, I'm happy that you met KID and that he is such a source of joy despite the hard times.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Thank you for your response. I think of how many cats and kittens are in desperate needs of adoption and a home. Who are scared and confused. And it breaks my heart. I can not imagine KID being out on the street alone. And having to fend for himself. He loves to play and has a large toy collection. Lol. He does such silly things each day.

Over the past 7 months since I adopted him, I would begin to feel blue and out of nowhere he would do something completely crazy and make me laugh. Almost as if on cue.

Simply reaching out to pet him, or hug him, or having him on my lap, is so reassuring for some reason. He greets me and it cheers me  up. When I see his face it makes me smile.

So yes, I do recommend considering adopting again. I am actually thinking about adopting a friend for KID.

: )

All best,
James
Quote 0 0