ML1022
My family lost our sweet little boy Gizmo this past weekend.  He was 11.5 years old and suffered a grand mal seizure during a walk on Friday afternoon. Less than 24 hours later, he was gone.  Given his age, breed, and other symptoms, the vet thinks it was likely a brain tumor.  We lost my dad 5 years ago and Gizmo kept my mom company and occupied after he was gone.  His bouncy little spirit uplifted all of us during those tough days.  My biggest regret is not being with him during his final moments.  I hope he knew that he was loved and I hope he wasn't scared.  He was a member of our family as soon as we got him home as a mushy little 5 pound puppy.  He turned gray over the years and eventually gave up trying to catch the squirrels in the backyard.  It seems so unfair that one of God's noblest, kindest, pure-hearted creatures are only meant for this world for such a short period of time.  We love you Gizmo.  
IMG_0985 (1).jpg
I found this little passage when I couldn't sleep the other night after Gizmo passed.  I hope it comforts some of you like it comforted me.  

If a Dog Were Your Teacher, You Would Learn Stuff Like…
About Love
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

About Life
- Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
- Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
- Take naps and stretch before rising.
- Run, romp, and play daily.
- On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
- On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.
- When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
- Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

About Attitude
- When it’s in your best interest — practice obedience.
- Let others know when they’ve invaded your territory.
- Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
- Avoid biting, when a simple growl will do.
- No matter how often you’re scolded, don’t buy into the guilt thing and pout… run right back and make friends.
- Never pretend to be something you’re not.
- If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

I also urge you to read this article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-we-need-to-take-pet-loss-seriously/

After he passed, I found myself feeling a bit ashamed by how much grief I was feeling.  Then I realized the grief I was feeling was 100% real and nothing to be ashamed of. Dogs are our family, and any dog owner/dog lover knows this to be 100% true.  When we lose a dog, we lose a family member, and there is absolutely no shame in feeling grief and sadness and crying about it.  
Quote 0 0
Mybeautifulboy
I am so sorry for your loss of Gizmo. You and your family are in my thoughts as you start on this journey of grief. It was 10 months ago yesterday that we lost our 13 year old dachshund and we are still having a hard time excepting the fact that he left us so suddenly.

You have posted a wonderful tribute to your special boy.

Rest easy sweet Gizmo.
Quote 0 0
Jlafla
I’m so sorry for the loss of your boy, Gizmo. 16 days ago my girl Lucy, also had a grand mal siezure and they also suspected a brain tumor. She was 12. I didn’t know. I didn’t know until I was standing in the emergency vet and they were asking me to make a decision that I wasn’t prepared to make. The seizures weren’t stopping, she had aspirated and she was struggling to breathe on her own. So I had to let her go. And it’s horrible isn’t it?

When I lost Lucy, the loneliness was astounding. I miss her so much. She was my soul mate. My heart dog. But I’ll tell you one thing I know. The love we have for them and that they had for us doesn’t go with them. It’s their final gift for us. Luce made me a better human and that doesn’t change because she’s gone. She raised me and she’s woven into the fabric of who I am and I find some comfort in that.

This is a quote that I found recently that really resonated with me:
To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It’s in your very skin.

Gizmo is always with you because he is a piece of you. You’ll always carry him with you. I know that sometimes that doesn’t provide comfort for everyone but I hope for you it does. Do your best to live in the love you shared with him and not the grief you feel for him now (working on this myself now) You and your sweet boy are in my thoughts.
- Jillian
Quote 0 0
ML1022
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. It’s so reassuring to know I’m not the only one that feels this way after losing a beloved pet
Quote 0 0
Adriane_d
Sorry for your loss. Beautiful story as our beloved pets cross the rainbow bridge will are together on a journey of grief. ♡♡♡Adriane Isabella Mom
Quote 0 0