Chihuahualover12
Two weeks ago today, we lost my sweet Chihuahua Danny. He was six years old and perfectly healthy until we took him for a routine check up and vaccinations. After he was vaccinated, he began throwing up but we researched that it was normal. As hours went by, Danny got extremely lethargic but we brushed it off as a side effect. He’d gotten that way before but it usually went away within a day. Instead he became limp just stared off into space so we took him to an animal hospital. They had to give him medicine anaphylactic shock, for his low heart rate and warm him up as well as give him a blood transfusion. Things looked extremely grim. I prayed for hours for him, pleading and bargaining for him to make it. after a couple more hours, they told us he was sitting up and looking around as well as having a regular temp again. They said they’d observe him until the next night and slowly try to wean him off his meds but that he should be home within a day or two. He wasn’t completely out of the woods yet but they told us he should only get better from there. We got to see him one last time sitting up and recognizing us, though a little puffy from his reaction. We told him we loved him and left hopeful. I went home sad without my little Danny but happy that’d he’d get better. I planned to take off of work the whole week to care for him. The next morning, I get a call from the vet and he tells me to come in. I get the horrible news that after trying to wean him off of his blood pressure meds, he could not recover and passed away. I can’t help but feel guilty because although he was overdue for shots, if I had waited longer to take him he would still be here. I was only trying to keep him healthy and the next day he was gone. It seemed very unfair. It’s been two weeks and I still cry daily but I don’t want to make my other dog Max sad. He’s also been grieving because he lost his best friend since puppy age. He’s been my main priority but is not playing as much and sleeps more often. I’ve been thinking about getting another dog to accompany Max who has never been alone, but I don’t want it to look like I’m replacing Danny. I can’t just let Max get sadder and sadder. It’s a tough situation and the pain does not get any better. I miss Danny constantly and wish he were still here. He was too young to go and hadn’t lived a full life.
Danny was extremely sweet and loved stealing Max’s treats, playing with him, running around the backyard while having everyone chase him, and warm fuzzy blankets. These two weeks have been slow and painful for me.
Quote 0 0
CK1991
I’m so sorry! Do you know if the vaccinations caused Danny’s death? Oh how terrible. You wanted to keep your pet healthy and ended up losing him. I would be following up with whoever did these vaccinations!!

My suggestion would be to give it a little time before bringing a new dog home. You have been doing the right thing making Max a priority but you have to grieve your loss and Max has to also. As long as you’re giving him a lot of attention he’ll be fine. I would definitely look at getting another dog but I would give it a little time so that you don’t end up comparing the new dog to Danny and Max isn’t confused. I’ve heard it’s good to wait 6 months but there is no rule but I would at least wait a few more weeks to give you time to process this awful loss! I hope you can find out more about what really happened to Danny! Hugs to you!
CK
Quote 0 0
TaazyBoy
I am so sorry for the pain you are feeling. Danny sounds so sweet, I am so sorry you lost your sweet boy so soon. I wish I had advice but am only on day 3. :(. Like you I have other pets too and am trying to keep a brave face for them. My girl (who acted like she hated him when he was here) seems so sad. I have been told with great love comes great loss. We will continue to muddle through. You aren't alone.

Big hugs
LM
Quote 0 0
Chihuahualover12
CK 1991,
Yes it was the rabies vaccination that caused the reaction. That much we know for sure. It’s so crazy how something that’s supposed to keep them safe and healthy could do so much harm. Thank you for your warm thoughts, they truly mean the world.
Quote 0 0
Chihuahualover12
TaazyBoy,
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. I know it’s even tougher to look at how the rest of your pets react to the passing of another. At least I know that I’m not alone and have a community who understands me.
Thinking of you,
jm
Quote 0 0
TaazyBoy
I never would have guessed how much being here has helped. I thought I was completely unhinged at first, maybe nuts I dunno but then I started reading here and while our stories and sweet babes are all different, so much is the same. Sadness, guilt and love. I am grateful for everyone here, it is helping make my way through this really dark time.....why can't they just stay here with us forever? Sigh.
LM
Quote 0 0
Living_with_tragedy
To Danny's Mom,

As a fellow Chihuahua Mom, I want to send my condolences and tell you I am deeply saddened by the loss of your Danny.  He was young.  My little one was 6 also.  It was a different situation, but it was unexpected, too.

Your Max and Danny sound like my little one and his bigger brother, a Beagle. They would play the same way, teasing, stealing each other's squeaky toys.  I still have 2 of my 3 dogs. They are somewhat company for each other, although they've never been close.  I'm not sure about getting another dog.  Maybe someone else here with experience with that could guide you.  

Please give Max a lot of love now, more than ever. I am doing that with my 2 boys. They miss their pack leader brother.  I see it in their eyes.

Come back to this forum where you will receive lots of love from all here, who understand and will never judge you or tell you when you should stop grieving.

Again, I am truly sorry for your loss,

~ Parker's Mom
Quote 0 0
Chihuahualover12
Thank you, Parker’s Mom. It’s been extremely rough but I hope it’ll get better day by day.
Quote 0 0
LR_EJ
Chihuahualover12,

I'm sorry for your loss, it really really sucks. We lost our baby yesterday and we weren't prepared at all, we always thought he would last much longer.

Getting Danny vaccinated was the right call, try not to put the blame on you. You were trying to look out for him and, most of us would have done the same.

Nothing could have happened differently, you can't change any of it. We lost our boy through an intestine obstruction and my wife and myself cry and go through it reviewing everything that happened prior, it could have avoided so many times but in the end, it happened and that's all that matters. I tell her, we only tend to think that way, "what if..", when something bad happens, but we will never know when we prevented something bad happening due to our decisions.

You are not to blame and I hope you know that. The only thing you are guilty of is loving him so much.
Quote 0 0