MunchkinMommy
I've had my Munchkin for about 5 years. My partner encouraged me to bring her home after visiting the humane society. I've had a couple of rough years but spending time with her, her morning greetings, her sweet playfullness just helped me get through the days at times. We also got a Doberman who loved the cat but got too rough as she got older and wasn't a calm playmate. But the cat and dog both roamed the house freely. My partner comes home one day with a pitty looking dog she found in the middle of the road. We tried to find him a home but as time went on he ended up living with us and played with the Doberman. He showed aggressive signs toward my Munchkin so we had to have Munchkin in a separate area. After that I felt it was unfair for the dogs to roam the main area while Munchkin and me were stuck in the other part of the house so I complained and asked my partner to fix the situation. She worked on it for over a year to get the dog to stop charging Munchkin and Munchkin started to feel comfortable to roam more of the house. My partner celebrated saying "oh my gosh this is a miracle." She was super happy and we started getting more lax. My partner didn't tell me that she was only locking one area in the crate. I started relaxing more. I loved loved loved my Munchkin. One dreadful Sunday we go out to eat and I leave my baby on the other side of the crate and Pitty is in half locked crate. Doberman is loose as usual. We get home and Pitty is loose and my partner asks where's Munchkin? I frantically look for her. Crap knocked over throughout the other side of house, blood on the garage door. I find my lifeless baby on the ground. I screamed and cried like I've never done before. This happened over 2 months ago and I am still so so so angry and regretful. I feel like a huge part of me is missing. Like I'm always gonna feel this way. I've been through some hard things in life but this is the worst pain I've ever felt.
Munchkin Mommy
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
I am so very heartbroken at reading your story.  My Winston was also very aggressive towards cat.  So I knew he could be my only pet in the house.  This seems to be a very tragic accident.  I can understand how you thought you had the problem under control.  Sometimes our lives are so frantic, we cant remember everything we usually are supposed to do.   With some dogs, their instinct takes over. You and your partner were not there to prevent it.  You should not feel guilt for this tragedy.  We want our lives to go on as usual, and we can't be perfect  preventing any sort of accident.

I will keep you and all your other animals in my prayers.  Blessings  Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
MunchkinMommy
Thank you for your prayers. I'll take them. I have lots of regrets and wish I could go back to that day or before and make different decisions. Munchkin was so special to me. I had thought she was gonna grow old with me. I'm vacillating between anger and sadness. At first I was shaking and sobbing uncontrollably and went through some very dark times. I replayed the whole scene in my head. The way she died. The way I wasn't there to prevent it. The way she was probably frightened. I'm finding it hard to forgive myself. I sometimes hate the mornings cuz she would stretch out and greet me. I looked forward to spending time with her. It's hard to accept that it happened and hard to accept that she is really gone. I'm trying to move forward but think about her everyday.
Munchkin Mommy
Quote 0 0
Missinjack
So sorry for your loss.... I too have terrible feelings of guilt and despair.
Hopefully over time it will subside....
Prayer for you..... 
I miss you more than you can ever know
Quote 0 0
MunchkinMommy
Thank you for prayers, I'll pray for everyone too. I've been mad at myself and my higher power. The truth is I made some mistakes. Was super busy with my family's problems. The Pitty who killed my baby is still with us. I'm forgiving him daily. It wasn't his fault. It was our fault. There were signs and I left it to my partner to fix it all and it probably wasn't fixable to begin with. This Pitty has a prey drive that's just not gonna go away. My partner worked hard and I mean hard to get Munchkin to be part of the pack and ensure the Pitty didn't charge her. But I'm kicking myself for not doing my own research, for making sure my partner took care of it when I should've said "hey this isn't gonna work!" We were naïve and just felt that the good would win out. That the 5 of us would be just one big happy family. The day she got killed neither of us had any worry about it. It was the first time I didn't pick up Munchkin and walk her to the other safer side of the house. I'm wracked with guilt but it's not as bad as two weeks ago when I was just ruminating constantly in between my work. I miss you Munchkin lots and hope you forgive Mommy.
Munchkin Mommy
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12

Please stop feeling guilty.  Your family was having some problems, and they probably took priority over other matters. Give yourself more time to grieve.  I think you need it. Munchkin doesn't want you to feel this way.  Time will help little by little to lessen the grief and guilt you feel.  I wish you much Luck.. Sue

Susan
Quote 0 0