Bear_Cub_2014
I am completely devastated and emotional wrecked. 9 days ago I had to put down my sweet teddy bear. He was only 6 years old. Bear was always my curious cat and my baby. He was constantly getting into things and never grew up. I got him when he was 8 weeks old, although I think he was younger than what they said. from the moment I got him he was my baby. He would play in my arms and suck on my shirt. I always found this annoying but now this is what I miss. He loved to go outdoors and eat grass. We spent many of the summer days outside together. He was never more than 5 ft away from me. 2 weeks ago we took him outside and he did his usual munch around the yard. He absolutely loved eating grass, flowers, bushes, weeds. We call him our little lawn mower. I could never bring in flowers from outside because he would always jump on the table and they would come crashing down.  On Tuesday I noticed that he didn't come running down the stairs to greet me. I thought he was sleeping and when I went to go look for him after dinner I found him in my closet lethargic. My husband said that he found throw up and I knew something was wrong. He took him to the emergency vet and they said that his kidney levels were high and that he was having renal failure. We left him overnight and brought him to our vet who kept him for two nights. We thought he was doing well on Wednesday because his numbers were going down. We were able to see him on Thursday and he seemed alert. But when we spoke to the vet on Friday we found out that his levels had risen and that there were fluid around his kidneys and that fluid was filling his stomach. We believe that he was posioned from daylilies in our neighbors yard. We never knew that day lilies were deadly to cats. We always heard of poinsettias being dangerous but not lilies. Now my healthy 6-year-old baby is dead and I feel like it's my fault for not protecting him against himself. I know he loved to be outdoors with us but I wish we had kept him in. I wish I had known how dangerous Lily's were because I would have ripped them out of our fence line. Only after he was hospitalized did I learn that every part of a lily is dangerous to a cat, from the leaves to the petals to the pollen. You only have 6 hours to get the cat to the vet before it destroys their kidneys. This isn't fair and it isn't right. He was so young and so sweet he should be here with me. I never knew how ingrained in my life he was. I can't take a shower because he used to always sit on the ledge and watch the waterfall. I can't do laundry because he would like to sit in the warm laundry basket. I can't make my bed cuz he would dive under the covers. I have trouble leaving home because I know he won't be in the window or coming down the stairs to greet me. I miss my baby.
Quote 1 0
boxador_mom
I know how you feel when you say how ingrained he was in your life. I feel the same way, you realize how they were always with you now that they are not. I had heard about lilies being poisonous to cats before, only bc when I was at my vet once when an emergency came in with a cat who had eaten lilies. So I never brought them into the house. But I can’t believe I never thought about outdoor cats. My cats are indoor so it never occurred to me. I just moved into my house last month and there are some dayliles coming through the back fence. I’m going to pull them all out for bear as soon as the sun comes up! I’m so sorry this happened but thank you for making me and others aware of the dangers of lilies inside and outside! ❤️ 
Michelle
Quote 1 0
Bear_Cub_2014
Thank you for your kind words. What kills me is he really wasn't a outdoor cat. He was always on a harness and we were always by him. But he loved grass not to throw up or anything he just like to eat it. He was always into flowers. And we would always stop him and shoo him away but every time you turn your back he was there. I wish I had known more. Even the pollen for lilies is bad. And you don't notice that they're in distress until it's too late. Everything we read said 6 hours they had to be at the vet. But he was completely fine Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning. He was eating and running and playing. And then he's not. I keep going over should I have taken him outside but he loved it so much. I would sit in a chair and he would sit in another. And we would just watch the birds. He was never out of sight which is what makes me feel so bad. He ate something so deadly on our watch. I don't understand why he always had a constantly eat grass. Why he never outgrew it. Why this time.
Quote 0 0
CaraMia
So sorry for your loss. I'll be ripping up the daylilies, kitty lives are more important than specimen plants and neighbor just got two lovely kittens.       I'll tell her about this. I will be looking for list of animal safe plants.

Please, don't blame yourself. If you knew you'd have prevented it. Seven years ago I lost a doggie to a sandwich bag left behind by the lawn service. It had a twister on it which punctured his small intestine. He had a surgery, which he survived, but was never really the same. I try not to blame myself for not being more vigilant, but I know it's hard. 
Cara
Quote 0 0
Lisactraveler
 Hi, I lost my cat she died approximately four months ago and I am still devastated. And I happened to look at yours your post and I picked your post out of all of them and I was always hurting because she was only six years old. And the first thing I read was how your cat was onLy  six years old also. I haven't gotten into the whole story about my cat but she had diabetes and I decided to put her to sleep because as much as I loved her she was not a cuddler she didn't like too much stimulation like you could pet her a little bit and then you know she would walk away she doesn't she didn't like a lot of stimulation so I would've had to check her blood sugar by pricking her with a needle three times a day.  She was my favorite cat and I loved her so much like she was my child but I decided to put her to sleep instead of having to prick her three times a day because she would hate that. But every day I miss her and I have a picture of her right next to me on the couch. And it is such a loss and I totally understand  how do you feel. It is not your fault that that happened and also I feel guilty because I'm not sure if I should've just treated her for diabetes but I know she would've hated that. Anyway. I totally understand all these things that you listed above about what reminds you of your bear.  I hope you feel better soon and thank you for listing this because my cat was six also and I struggle with that that she was so young. I took that as a sign that I happened to look at yours. Thank you 
Quote 0 0
Ruru
Sorry for your loss :(  I just lost my kitty Catalina after 18 years of great times! I know how difficult it is especially if you had a strong bond. Just know that your little Bears energy will be within you thanking you for having taken care of him for all of those years. 
Quote 0 0
Orange_Cat
OMG, I am so sorry - as I was reading I kept thinking, "I hope it wasnt  day lilies" cos I knew youd be feeling what I felt when my boy ate day lilies and I had to rush him to ER.  He was saved only because I happened to read a story similar to yours..... AND I happened to see my boy munching on them so was able to get him to ER in time.  I had dug up and moved them out of his catio, but STUPIDLY had forgotten to remove one.

WHY there continues to be such ignorance about this - I dont know.  Ive been at garden centers and I tell people there you really need to have warnings on these plants that you are selling - they can kill a cat.  And these people- they just look at me stupidly like I have two heads.  I say, please look it up on the internet if you dont believe me. And they say yeah, sure, we will.  But I go back and they havent done a dang thing about posting any warnings.

Please, please, take good care and someday find forgiveness for yourself.    You did your absolute best and know that Bear loved his life and he loved you his human dearly.
Quote 0 0
CaraMia
Orange_Cat wrote:
OMG, I am so sorry - as I was reading I kept thinking, "I hope it wasnt  day lilies" cos I knew youd be feeling what I felt when my boy ate day lilies and I had to rush him to ER.  He was saved only because I happened to read a story similar to yours..... AND I happened to see my boy munching on them so was able to get him to ER in time.  I had dug up and moved them out of his catio, but STUPIDLY had forgotten to remove one.

WHY there continues to be such ignorance about this - I dont know.  Ive been at garden centers and I tell people there you really need to have warnings on these plants that you are selling - they can kill a cat.  And these people- they just look at me stupidly like I have two heads.  I say, please look it up on the internet if you dont believe me. And they say yeah, sure, we will.  But I go back and they havent done a dang thing about posting any warnings.

Please, please, take good care and someday find forgiveness for yourself.    You did your absolute best and know that Bear loved his life and he loved you his human dearly.


All plants should come with toxicity warnings for people and animals. It's unfathomable to me that they aren't!
Cara
Quote 0 0