LauraMaits
It's been 2 weeks since I lost my cat Asia. She seemed normal but one evening I noticed her breathing was a little labored and she coughed a few times. I thought it was a hair ball and dismissed it. A week or so later Saturday the 23rd around 11 she was breathing hard again so I called the vet hospital and gave her symptoms not thinking anything serious and they said to bring her in right away. My husband took her because I had to stay home with our 3 year old and then he called me. He was told she had so much fluid in her lungs they could not even see her heart on the x-Ray and at this point she was so distressed she was coughing up blood. They recommended to euthanize due to her severe discomfort and stated she most likely wouldn't make it through the night. She was only 8. I thought I had so much more time with her. It's been such a shock and I am simply devastated. I have no closure. They weren't able to determine exactly what was causing her illness and I never got to say goodbye. She was my heart, my best friend and I am so lost without her. Everywhere I look in my home it's a constant reminder of her. I'm trying so hard to be at peace with her passing but I just don't know how. I feel so guilty I was not there in her last moments to love and comfort her in her transition. We got her cremated and she came home in a beautiful wooden box. I still can't believe this is my new reality.
Quote 0 0
camunki
LauraMaits so sorry for the loss of your Asia, and beautiful pic you posted. This being all so fresh and new, it is going to be very hard the first few months. tears out of nowhere and the missing your baby physically part. 

You did the right thing your baby was suffering....my dog Dakota too had fluid in her lungs, they could not see her heart..........and that day i had to make that dreadful choice to put my baby to rest. I too never knew what happened, there was only about 6 plus reasons "why" she may have passed away. I will never know, i do know she was in pain thought. Your Asia loves you and knows you loved her..........I too was not in the last moments of transistion (i had to walk out of the room). I am glad you have her cremations at home.

My heart goes out to you at this difficult time

Cam

Quote 0 0
NormaT
Dear Laura,

What a gorgeous huge ball of fur Asia was. I'm so very sorry you have lost her prematurely. You weren't to know what would happen at the vets and you couldn't be there. It would have caused Asia more suffering if your husband had waited. Asia would not want you to feel bad.
Sending a virtual hug.

Norma
Norma 
Quote 0 0
Jody
Laura, I sm so sorry for your loss! I know what you are going through. Shock. At first it is unbearable. I was crying the same words. Yelling that I wasn't there with my Tony through the night when he was dying. Blaming myself for dismissing him acting tired and lazy. It was an unexpected death with him being healthy and 7 years old. It was two weeks yesterday and now I feel him close to my heart. I too have his wooden box. I talk to him, leave him biscuits and light candles for him. Keep your head up and keep talking. Everyone here feels your pain. We all know the pain from a pet loss. Hugs and prayers sent your way!
Quote 0 0
LauraMaits
Thank you all for your kind words. I am so glad I found this forum and people who feel the exact same way I do! Makes me feel a little less crazy! Hugs to all!
Quote 0 0