Forum

Author   Comment  
Heartbroken89

Reply with quote  #1 
I am struggling at the thought of losing my dog. He’s been part of my life for 15 years. I have always dreaded the thought of death and I knew this was coming. This past year, I’ve had nightmares about losing my dog, sometimes five nights a week- and I would pray to god to stop having those nightmares. He has horrible arthritis and the vet just told me it is time to put him down because he is in pain. How do I know this is the right choice? She doesn’t know my dog like i do. How do decide to put him to sleep. This very thought kills me so much. I don’t know how I can continue my life without him. Just pains me and I need some caring thoughts.
nosunshine36

Reply with quote  #2 
Heartbroken,
I don't know the specifics so I hope it's okay asking this question. I'm assuming your dog is on pain medication. Have you thought of getting a second opinion to see whether anything else can be done to help the pain? Having said that, I know you don't want your dog to be suffering so if you did want a second opinion I would try and do it very quickly.
Otherwise, the only thing I can offer is how very sorry I am that you are facing this. It's quite obvious how much you love your dog and I know from sad experience the pain of having to let your beloved friend go.
If you would like to write again please do or if the worst has to happen please post an update. This forum is a wonderful place for support and finding people who understand your pain.
Blessings,
Sharon
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #3 
The hardest decision you’ll ever make Amanda, is when to free him of the pain you can see in his eyes and take it on yourself. It’s also the most giving thing you’ll ever do for him. And you’re right, no one knows him like you do.
How horrible is his arthritis and how old is he? It’s so sad that dogs *live* to walk and age takes that joy from them.
I knew in my heart I would lose my dog within a year, not how I thought but I did lose her. It’s gut wrenching when you just know it’s going to happen and thats all you think about. If I’d know than what I know know I’d have tried even harder to enjoy what time I had. I used to scream at myself “she’s still here stop crying!!” But I couldn’t
Try to soak in his everything and spoil him with love
Your decision will be based on him not you, because of your immense love for him, many hugs,,,,,

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you both for your response. He is 15 years old. He still has a huge appetite, barks when neighbors walk by, it’s just his damn arthritis. He recently did blood work and everything is just fine. I never would have thought this would be the reason for the end of his life. He does number two without even realizing it and it just kills me. I know he isn’t happy but when I’m home he just walks right up to me and puts his head down so I can pet him. I just don’t know what to do. How do I have the right to end his life? I don’t know if this makes any sense.. it just kills me..
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #5 
Is it just arthritis? Has he had Adaquan injections?,,,,,

Reply with quote  #6 
Get another opinion if it is affordable. Pray for wisdom and courage.  Everything you do for him is out of love and concern for his well-being.  Never forget that
Heartbroken89

Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you, all so very much. I posted this as a cry for help and i've been avoiding coming back here because it's just another reminder of what I have to deal with. We actually went to the doctors again and saw a different vet. This time was much more better. My sister and I decided to put him on Previcox (a friend was raving about this and how much it helped her dog). It is pretty pricey but as long as it helps I don't care. I have not heard of adaquan injections but I will contact the vet about that if this doesn't work out.

Again, Thank you all for your kindness; you have no idea how much this is helping me. I will keep you all updated.

-Amanda
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #8 
Amanda Adaquan is the first joint lubricant/cartridge stimulant that came out. It’s injection only and once the pills and OTC’s came out people stopped bringing their dogs to the Vet for it. It’s making a strong comeback because it works! My boss use to give it to his father -in-law for his degenerate hips. It was and still is only labeled for animal use but that’s how good it is. My boss is a Veterinarian🐾,,,,,
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.