Maria16
I just lost my beloved cocker spaniel, Sassy of 11 years yesterday. I can't stop the tears and the aching in my heart. Some people don't understand what a pet can mean to you. I feel guilty like a could have done more for her. I should have spent more time with her or taken her sooner the vet, but there was nothing I could do about her bad heart. I want to feel that it is ok too feel this sad for my beloved dog. Many things remind me of her and I wanted to share with fellow pet lovers who would understand my pain and loss.

It was difficult to believe that after less than two months of treatments she is gone. I wish I had just one more day with her. I wish I could hold her one last time. I wish those beautiful brown eyes never closed and that she would be waiting for me to come home and greet me with the excitement and a wag of her little stump of a tail to let me know how much she loved me and was glad to see me. I love and miss you, my Sassy girl.
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
I am so sorry for your loss.  Everything to say at these times sounds trite but it isn't meant that way.  I am only 7 weeks out from losing my Molly so I do understand your grief.  Everyone here does.  Know that you can yell, scream whatever works here and we will all understand.  I was raised with Cockers so I know how wonderfully sweet they are.  Molly is/was a Beagle, but the head shape is very similar.

Molly had a stroke so I know how you feel about Sassy's heart being the problem.  There was nothing you could have done that you didn't do.

Sending you hugs and hoping you find some peace here.
janice
Quote 0 0
Zander
I lost my lab of 9 years yesterday I have been feeling the same guilt ..... I wish I would have worked less been more present when he was around What if I had been more assertive with the vet about his ear aches years ago was it the treats I gave him something in my house that gave him cancer one thing I do know though that we don't have the regret of could I have loved him/her more because that would be a no not possible I can definitely tell we are a club of giving all of our hearts to our amazing animals
Know you are not alone hugs
Quote 0 0
Maria16
Thank you for your kind words. Sassy was a sweet dog and I agree that we loved our dogs so much it would have been impossible to love them more. I am sorry for both your losses. Although it feels unbearable right now I know I am not the only one who loved their pet deeply. I was her mom and she my furry little child. I hope my heartache will lessen overtime and I will be able to heal. I hope with time I can remember her and just smile at the wonderful memories we made together.
Quote 0 0
Maria16
My son keeps asking for our dog "sassy here?" He says. I told him she is up in heaven but then later he remembers and asks again. He saw we buried her in our backyard and says its her "home" but he wants to see her. He misses her too and I don't know what else to tell him. She was patient gentle and loving. I knew he would ask and was afraid I would have a difficult time answering the question every time he asked. It even makes me sad for the day that he stops asking because it means he has forgotten her. I don't want to forget. I loved her dearly.
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
Please don't think that your son will forget your little dog just because he stops asking.  Children have a way of accepting things that are so difficult for us adults.  I am a Grandmother so I can say with some assurance that your son will surprise you with memories when you least expect them.  Their little minds aren't all cluttered up with questions like ours are and thinking of a place we where we will all be reunited in time is easier for them than you might think right now when your own grief is so fresh.  You are obviously a caring Mom and doing what we do best------worry about our children, but just hug him and assure him that it is ok and he will see Sassy again someday.
janice
Quote 0 0
LUCYLULU
Maria~ I am very sorry to read about your losing Sassy. I lost my 14 y/o Lucy over 10 weeks ago. The pain deep inside is unbearable. Time dulls the pain-- sometimes-- and then it comes back as if it was yesterday. There are no words that will take your pain. And you are right. Some people just don't get it--  as you say-- 'what a pet can mean to you'. But we are all here-- helping each other-- because we understand. It hurts so bad because we loved so much. Hugs, KC
Quote 0 0
Maria16
I think you are right. Children are resilient. He can do what I have a difficult time doing. He is accepting what has come to pass. Thank you Molly's mom for your words.

Quote 0 0
Maria16
Lucy lulu, I am sorry you lost your special girl. I went to work today for the first time without her and found it so difficult to leave my home. You see everyday I would take my sassy girl to my parents house when I went to work. She would be waiting right by the door so as to be sure not be be left behind. She never liked being home alone. I would call her over and drive her and my son to grandma's. All morning I fought the tears. I didn't really want to talk to anyone. I was able to fair better in the afternoon but the pain is still there. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.
Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Maria, I am very sorry to hear what happened to Sassy. I also feel the unbearable pain that you are right now. I lost my beloved 16 year old cat Rupert today, a cat i grew up with since i was 6. I did feel guilty too, thinking i could of saved him too if i took him to a vet a week ago. I wish from every fiber of my being that i could have made him last forever. Unfortunately, it is impossible.

I do agree, some people don't know what a pet could mean to a person, cat or dog, or any other kind of pet. There are like another family member to you. Your son probably felt she was an older sister, and she must of felt like your daughter from another species. I feel so much for you and your son. He will understand soon. He will never forget Sassy. Not talking about her does not mean he will forget her. We all need time to process and heal. 

It's a long road to recovery, but we can make make it. How? As a man once said "Day by Day."
Danny

My friend, my brother, Rupert, pre 2001-January 25, 2016 
I love you and I miss you. 

Quote 0 0
Maria16
Yes, taking it day by day...that's all we can do
Quote 0 0
Maria16
It's been a week now since I lost her. It still feels strange. There are moments in the day I feel she is still here. I thought I heard her scratching the door the other day for me to let her in, or I thought I heard her bark just once, and just an instant I believed she was still here.
Quote 0 0