m1chelle
Earlier today I lost my beautiful 9 year old Siamese after making the painful decision to put him to sleep. We took him to the vet as soon as they opened after finding him very lethargic and meowing pitifully under a bed. So, they did blood work and an hour later it was found out that one of his kidney's had failed completely and the other was going quickly too. I was told the normal toxicity levels in cats is a 1.9 his came back as 19.9-my brother had to help me to a chair as the horror/anguish/guilt set it; I can't imagine the amount of pain he must of have been in and I cry thinking about it-he was suffering and I didn't even realize it until it was too late to do anything. For hours now I have been going over the past months/weeks in my head trying to remember any red flag/warning sign that would have alerted me something was not right with him, but there's nothing; he was eating normal, going to the toilet, and drinking water fine. My vet told me that my cat was hiding his pain until it became too much to handle and that just breaks me completely-my baby was suffering and I thought he was fine. I guess my question now is why? Why did this have happen to a youthful and happy cat? His diet was fine, he had fresh water everyday, all poisons were/are locked in a cabinet...I just don't understand.

Anyways, Thank You for reading this.
RIP Rafael (1/30/01-11/26/10)

Quote 0 0
judylinn

I'm so sorry about losing your beautiful cat. 9 is very young. You can take wonderful care of our pets, and you just don't know what happens genetically or else wise. It's just so hard when they have to leave us. My thoughts and prayers are with you in this painful time.  Judy

Quote 0 0
donnalee
Michelle,
Lately, I keep reading posts here of similar happenings....one not even realizing their cat was sick.  As the vet said, they seem to be very good at hiding it until it reaches a certain point, and then it is too late.  I am so very sorry but, please know, you are not at fault.  You were obviously a very loving Mom.   I know it is shocking and hard for the realization to sink in since this came without any warning.  My heart breaks for you.   We are here for you to support and help you through it.  Here, you have many who totally understand.    You can express your thoughts and feelings as much as you want or need to.  Again, I'm so very sorry for your heartbreak.     
Quote 0 0
TxGuy

My prayers go out to you, Michelle. I, too, lost my Siamese in October. They are such special cats. Cats are so good at hiding their pain. Please know that there is nothing you could have done. You gave him years of love. I am sorry for your loss. Frank

Quote 0 0
nicokudo
m1chelle,

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your precious Rafael to kidney failure.  You will never know for sure, but it sounds like it may have been a genetic thing.  I lost my precious siamese cat Nico to kidney failure at a much older age, but it can come at any time, just like in humans.  All cats are special, but there is something unique about a siamese. I remember watching those toxicity levels as well.  Again, I am so sorry.

Karen
Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0