hershey
Mr. Fix It was once a very strong and independent feral cat.   When he was younger and lived outside, he would run over to me and give me lots of love and affection.  However, he would NEVER stay in my house. I tried several times.
As time passed, he never strayed far from my patio.   I provided him with a heated cat house elevated off of the ground and gave him food and water every day.   When he was ready, he let me know that it was time to come inside.  My husband said he would put the cat outside again if he started spraying or destroying our house.   On the contrary, he became the most affectionate companion.  He followed me from room to room and stayed by my side even when I was practicing my screechy accordion.  My other 2 cats would never tolerate my music. They would run and hide but Mr. Fix It would leap onto my chair and rub my arm.  I loved it when he would take a running leap on my lap when I sat down in the evening to watch my TV show.  He loved getting brushed and petted. He lived inside for 3 years.
In the past week, I've noticed that he wasn't eating as much and had bad breath.   He started crying last night and it was nonstop this morning.  This morning I made the vet appointment but was fearful of putting him in the cat carrier.   Last vet visit he freaked out and cut his face on the carrier door.
He must have felt so ill because he let my husband put him in the carrier without even flinching.
The diagnosis revealed an enlarged kidney, mouth sores, heart murmur, dehydration, weight loss, and decreased kidney function among his other health issues.   The remaining kidney was not palpable. The odds of the remaining kidney functioning after the removal of the sick kidney was not hopeful. 
Mr. Fix It was put to sleep today. He was about 15 years old.  My husband and I will miss him terribly.  I hope he will forgive me.        

Action:-- Select an action --DeleteMark as unreadMark as readMove to: InboxMove to: Saved MessagesMove to: Sent Messages
  fr 

Action:-- Select an action --DeleteMark as unreadMark as readMove to: InboxMove to: Saved MessagesMove to: Sent Messages

Quote 0 0
NRead72
There is nothing to forgive you blessed his heart please do not feel guilty. I went through the guilt then it occurred to me all they remember is when we love them and how much we did. You gave him a home and made him trust people again. He would not want you to feel hurt he loved you and is dancing to your music :)
Quote 0 0
Gertie
hershey wrote:
Mr. Fix It was once a very strong and independent feral cat.   When he was younger and lived outside, he would run over to me and give me lots of love and affection.  However, he would NEVER stay in my house. I tried several times.
As time passed, he never strayed far from my patio.   I provided him with a heated cat house elevated off of the ground and gave him food and water every day.   When he was ready, he let me know that it was time to come inside.  My husband said he would put the cat outside again if he started spraying or destroying our house.   On the contrary, he became the most affectionate companion.  He followed me from room to room and stayed by my side even when I was practicing my screechy accordion.  My other 2 cats would never tolerate my music. They would run and hide but Mr. Fix It would leap onto my chair and rub my arm.  I loved it when he would take a running leap on my lap when I sat down in the evening to watch my TV show.  He loved getting brushed and petted. He lived inside for 3 years.
In the past week, I've noticed that he wasn't eating as much and had bad breath.   He started crying last night and it was nonstop this morning.  This morning I made the vet appointment but was fearful of putting him in the cat carrier.   Last vet visit he freaked out and cut his face on the carrier door.
He must have felt so ill because he let my husband put him in the carrier without even flinching.
The diagnosis revealed an enlarged kidney, mouth sores, heart murmur, dehydration, weight loss, and decreased kidney function among his other health issues.   The remaining kidney was not palpable. The odds of the remaining kidney functioning after the removal of the sick kidney was not hopeful. 
Mr. Fix It was put to sleep today. He was about 15 years old.  My husband and I will miss him terribly.  I hope he will forgive me.        

fr 

Quote 0 0
Gertie
What a beautiful story. Thank you for loving this little kitty and for giving him a home. I am so sorry for your loss. Mr. Fix will watch over you from higher ground. I hope all the love and memories will help you through this time.
Quote 0 0
hershey
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.  This is my first morning without him and I am so sad.  I wish I knew that Thursday night was his last night.  I would have stayed with him all night.  I want to believe that  Mr. Fix It  is trying to comfort me from above because he sent my other 2 cats to stay with me as I sat on the bed in his room.   They never stayed in that room before. 
I'm so sorry for your loss but feel hope that you are now in a place of peace and you are able to help others from your experience.
Your pet must have had a beautiful life with you.   God bless.

Quote 0 0
hershey
Thank you kind humans!   This website has been a Godsend.   No one understands the grief of losing a pet as much as those who have gone through it before.  
Quote 0 0
Gertie
hershey wrote:
Thank you kind humans!   This website has been a Godsend.   No one understands the grief of losing a pet as much as those who have gone through it before.  

Sadly I know the pain you are suffering. I lost my beautiful kitty Myles in Jan. He was 11 the oldest pet. I thought his asthma was bothering him. I called the vet on Thursday, she put him on steroids. He was worse by Sunday, I took  him in to be checked. He had congestive heart failure. His lungs were full of fluid. I felt so bad, we had to put him to sleep right then. He was the sweetest kitty I have ever had. I loved him so much.

Then in July I had to put my beautiful 9 year old Lhasa Duncan to sleep. He was my constant companion. This has been a very bad year. So I do know how you feel. I found writing on this site helped me. Please know you are in my thoughts.

Hug's to you,

Duncan & Myles Mom xx
Quote 0 0
hershey
Dear Duncan and Miles Mom,
I remember when my beautiful but sickly cat, Buddy, passed away.   I was devastated.  He would sit on his hind legs and beg like a dog among his many special attributes. He had a beautiful white face with a black nose.  My husband and I did everything possible to keep him alive only to see him die shortly after surgery.  We never forgave ourselves for putting him through hell. 

In time, other cats came into our lives and we learned to love them for their unique and very different personalities..... our feral cats like Lady, Blackie and then Mr. Fix It.  also Rocky and Hershey we adopted from the local shelter.  I know time heals but it pains me to see the empty bed where Mr. Fix It slept and the spot of sun on the floor where he caught the morning rays. 

Now I fear losing my remaining cats - Hershey who has medical issues and will be 16 in February and Rocky (14)  who will be so lonely without him.  I am going to spend every day letting them know how much they are loved. 

I always said that I will never get any more cats when they are gone  but I'm not sure I will be able to keep my word.
Animals give us so much more than we give them.  Only time will tell.  

I hope you will consider finding another pet to love and love you back.  You can save an animal from a life in a cage or in the streets.   Only you will know when the time is right.  

Thank you for your kindness.

Hugs back at you.
Susan

Quote 0 0
NRead72
Hope u r doing good mr fix its mom thought of u today and i am glad the other kitties r there for u
Quote 0 0