Sueny6
It's been three days since my sweet 17 year old dog " little mama " crossed over. I am not emotionally ready to share the full circumstances, but I had to make the hardest decision to end her life. I know 17 years is a long time to have her unconditional love. I just feel so lost without her and sad. Trying to stay busy because emotionally dealing with this reality is too much right now.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
I am so sorry for your pain and heartbreak over Little Mama. Take all the time you need. I'm glad you found this place.

I had to put my beloved girl to sleep Thursday and I understand how devastating the decision is, no matter how right you know that it is. And the grief is so raw! It can be a shock to the very core of your being.

The furbaby I lost in 2006 lived to 17, but it is never, ever long enough. All that time means there is sooooooo much love you've experienced with her and now soooooo much grief.  My heart aches for you as I read your post, knowing how hard a thing this is.  You are in my thoughts and I wish you every comfort through this terribly painful ordeal.
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
ForMitookie_03
Welcome to the pet loss forum.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  You have come to the right place for support, because we are all hurting so much and it helps to know you are not alone in your pain.  While each circumstance is different, the one thing we share in common is reaching for comfort in such a difficult time.  It's been 2 weeks today since I lost my beautiful kitty that I had for 15 years.  (I mistakenly said he was 16 on my first post).  It feels like he has been with me forever, and it hurts equally as much.  I thought I'd get around to posting the details, but have been too distraught and tired to even go there.  I will be praying that you find some peace and comfort and know that your baby would want you to be strong.  Saying I'm sorry at a time like this just doesn't feel like enough and certainly doesn't match the depth of the anguish I'm sure you feel.  May you find some peace.  

Thanks,

Marina

Marina ~ Mitookie's Mom
Quote 0 0
Chinadoll
Just wanted to let you know, you will be in my prayers tonight. This is such a difficult journey, the love our fur angels give us is unlike any other. Even with all the pain of losing them, we would not give up one minute of the time we had in their presence. It truly is an honor to have been loved and shared this love with them. Take your time, do not hurry any emotions, take care of yourself during the days, weeks and months ahead. I was on this forum for a long time before I could share my story, I just wanted to help others, but I wasn't ready to write my story. They are still with you, in your heart and soul, the love eternal, the bond everlasting. We will see them again, I truly believe this. Blessings to all of you going through this.
Charlie
Quote 0 0
normsmom
I am so sorry for the loss of your "little mama". It is so wonderful that you had 17 years with her, but at the same time, that must leave such an emptiness. That is a long time to have become used to her presence in your life and you must have been through so much together in those years. As Charlie says, these early days can be so heartbreakingly painful and it is important to be gentle with yourself. Know that everybody here in this forum understands. Read the stories of others and talk about your story - when you are ready. For now, know that Little Mama was so loved and so lucky to have been your companion for all those years together. Thinking of you and wishing you peace and healing. 
Quote 0 0
Sueny6
I appreciate everyone's prayers and kind words. Heartbreakingly painful is so accurate. I'm so sorry for everyone who has lost their fur babies. I love her so much. She was with me through 9/11, so many family losses, marriages, births, new jobs, boyfriends, my marriage-, new house with a huge yard for her to run in, adding children to our family through adoption and so many happy events. I feel like she was with me forever. Good and bad. So many changes in our life and she just rolled with all the changes. I just feel so empty inside. The house is so quiet without her. I still can't believe she is not sleeping in her little corner of my room.

Quote 0 0
catiebee
Gosh I know that silence is soooo loud and painful.  And I keep looking for Marissa over and over, forgetting for a moment. It's so hard to take in, so hard to register, so hard to accept these losses.

I get it, too, about all you went through in the course of life with Little Mama always there. Especially the transitions and changes. They are such wonderful companions and support. And 17 years is a huge chunk of life. 

Hoping things get easier for  you soon.

Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Sueny6
Catiebee,
Thank you for your kind words and understanding and my sincere condolences for your loss this past Thursday. To make this decision is just devastating.

I have stopped myself from looking in my girls favorite room so many times this weekend to see if she needed to go outside.

I know it's only been four days. We are supposed to get her ashes back on Valentine's Day. I'm hoping that having her back with me will bring some peace.
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
It dosen't matter how long we
have had a beloved pet. 
We are still grief stricken
when we lose them even
if they have lived a long
life.

Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Sueny6,

I’m so sorry for your loss. 17 years is a long time, I’m glad she lived so long in your love and care. But living 17 years also means she that much more ingrained in your life. The loss of her must be very difficult. Please hang in there and I hope you’re able to feel some peace soon.
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
catiebee

Those prompts for their needs are such a habit after years of heeding them. I've been dealing with the same thing, thinking every so often, "Marissa needs to go outside."  I was gone from my apartment most of the day and as the afternoon wore on, I thought I needed to zoom home. But then I realized, no one there needed me for anything...

My heart goes out to you for those kinds of reminders and the pangs they bring. It's going to take awhile for us all to adjust.

Thinking of you tonight.

Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Sueny6
It's been one week today. One week without my little mama. I miss her so much. I used to get her a heart cookie each Valentine's Day from our local bakery (who makes dog friendly cookies). Now I'm just heart broken on this first holiday without her.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Sue, I am so, so sorry for how hard the day was and for how much you're still suffering.   I know the loss just takes the stuffings out of you.

Each of the first times is really, really painful. It's like getting kicked in the belly.

I hate that she wasn't here to enjoy her Valentine treat. I wish you could wrap your arms around her, instead of suffering as you are.

You're in my thoughts and I'm sending hugs. I hope today holds real comfort and encouragement for you.  It won't always be this hard.
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Sueny6
We received little mamas ashes on Thursday. It briought me some peace that she's back with me permanently now. One day at a time.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
One day at a time is right Sue. sometimes even an hour at a time when things are the most intense. I'm glad having her ashes home has brought you at least a little relief. Grief can be rather a fierce emotional storm. so take things gently and easy . be kind to yourself as the days are hard and can be exhausting. You're in my thoughts.
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0