Forum

Author   Comment  
partangel

Reply with quote  #1 

I previously shared my story about my little boy Goliath. How we took him to the vet after spotting a mass on one of his legs. They prescribed him antibiotics and a pain med for a bacterial infection. By Friday morning, he was really struggling to breathe. Barely walking, not eating, in complete misery. Another trip to the vet and they now informed me he was in congestive heart failure. respiratory distress, anemia, showing signs of kidney failure, diabetic stress, very pale...in fact, they rushed him to the oxygen room. A chest x-ray revealed a very enlarged heart. He needed emergency 24-hour care but they felt he wouldn't make it through the night. I was left with the heart-wrenching decision to give him peace.

I laid my precious boy to rest last night and joined a pet loss support chatroom. In this conversation, I learned that the vet may be responsible for my boys' death. Apparently, he was prescribed Carprofen, a generic form of Rimadyl. A very controversial drug. One that is not supposed to be prescribed to any dog with a heart condition. They did know he had a heart murmur. They are also supposed to inform the owners of all potential side effects, including death. The only thing I was informed of was it could cause diarrhea. This drug has caused 1000's of deaths, almost always showing signs of false diabetes, causing heart failure, liver and kidney damage. Everything my precious boy was displaying. It has also been noted that out of the dogs who showed these adverse reactions to Rimadyl, with proper treatment, 95% of them survived! What?! My Goliath could have been saved and survived?! I am sick to my stomach over this!

Now, add in the fact that the euthanasia was not an instant relief for Goliath. He didn't pass until almost ten hours later. They told me he was gone, however, when I got him home he was still breathing. 8 hours later, he was still warm to the touch and breathing slightly. I am beyond appalled! I have already felt guilt and despair. Now I find this out! I am so angry!

HNI_0097.jpg
  HNI_0098.jpg

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so very sorry that you are going through this. I shared your original post with my husband over the weekend and we both started crying over your tragic loss of Goliath. I pray that you can find some answers as to why and how all of this happened.

Please take care of yourself.

Mendy
partangel

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you Mendy, I am trying to take care of myself, my family, as well as, my other two furbabies. I am certainly looking into how to file a complaint against this vet clinic. Not only did they fail to warn me on the side effects, but I am also discovering they prescribed more than the total daily recommended dose. By almost double! Sickening when vets have lost their ability to empathize. 

Reply with quote  #4 
Your story makes me so sad and angry.  I lost my Boo over 9 months ago and still haven't stopped grieving him.  I cannot imagine what you are going through.  I pray that you can find some peace.  It's so hard to trust any vets now hearing all of the horror stories.  Just try to remember the happiness and love that you and Goliath shared.  He will be with you forever as your guardian angel.  You will find compassion and understanding here on this forum.  You've found the best place to vent your anger or tell your stories of happy times with your Goliath.  
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.