Forum

Author   Comment  
partangel

Reply with quote  #1 

I previously shared my story about my little boy Goliath. How we took him to the vet after spotting a mass on one of his legs. They prescribed him antibiotics and a pain med for a bacterial infection. By Friday morning, he was really struggling to breathe. Barely walking, not eating, in complete misery. Another trip to the vet and they now informed me he was in congestive heart failure. respiratory distress, anemia, showing signs of kidney failure, diabetic stress, very pale...in fact, they rushed him to the oxygen room. A chest x-ray revealed a very enlarged heart. He needed emergency 24-hour care but they felt he wouldn't make it through the night. I was left with the heart-wrenching decision to give him peace.

I laid my precious boy to rest last night and joined a pet loss support chatroom. In this conversation, I learned that the vet may be responsible for my boys' death. Apparently, he was prescribed Carprofen, a generic form of Rimadyl. A very controversial drug. One that is not supposed to be prescribed to any dog with a heart condition. They did know he had a heart murmur. They are also supposed to inform the owners of all potential side effects, including death. The only thing I was informed of was it could cause diarrhea. This drug has caused 1000's of deaths, almost always showing signs of false diabetes, causing heart failure, liver and kidney damage. Everything my precious boy was displaying. It has also been noted that out of the dogs who showed these adverse reactions to Rimadyl, with proper treatment, 95% of them survived! What?! My Goliath could have been saved and survived?! I am sick to my stomach over this!

Now, add in the fact that the euthanasia was not an instant relief for Goliath. He didn't pass until almost ten hours later. They told me he was gone, however, when I got him home he was still breathing. 8 hours later, he was still warm to the touch and breathing slightly. I am beyond appalled! I have already felt guilt and despair. Now I find this out! I am so angry!

HNI_0097.jpg
  HNI_0098.jpg

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so very sorry that you are going through this. I shared your original post with my husband over the weekend and we both started crying over your tragic loss of Goliath. I pray that you can find some answers as to why and how all of this happened.

Please take care of yourself.

Mendy
partangel

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you Mendy, I am trying to take care of myself, my family, as well as, my other two furbabies. I am certainly looking into how to file a complaint against this vet clinic. Not only did they fail to warn me on the side effects, but I am also discovering they prescribed more than the total daily recommended dose. By almost double! Sickening when vets have lost their ability to empathize. 

Reply with quote  #4 
Your story makes me so sad and angry.  I lost my Boo over 9 months ago and still haven't stopped grieving him.  I cannot imagine what you are going through.  I pray that you can find some peace.  It's so hard to trust any vets now hearing all of the horror stories.  Just try to remember the happiness and love that you and Goliath shared.  He will be with you forever as your guardian angel.  You will find compassion and understanding here on this forum.  You've found the best place to vent your anger or tell your stories of happy times with your Goliath.  

Reply with quote  #5 
Very handsome pictures of your Goliath! I would definitely hold this vet accountable. It is inexcusable that they sent him home this way and then assured you he was gone when he wasn’t. I’d also check into the issue with the medication. You may just save another animal from the same fate. I’m so sorry! Hugs to you!
CK
partangel

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you, CK. I have already filed complaints against this clinic. As for the medicine, there is a hotline I called to report the effects and outcome we experienced. We are still looking into how we can hold them accountable. It is not an easy thing to do but I will avenge his death! I have to, unfortunately, dig my precious boy up and take him to the States lab for a necropsy. That is traumatic, as well. I plan to spread the word so others know what they did. I am still sick over this. I feel so ignorant that I didn't look into this medicine first! Never questioned them. A hard lesson learned. Goliath did not deserve this! I want to make sure the vets who lack empathy or even common sense, no longer hold the fate of our fur babies in their hands! 

Reply with quote  #7 
Oh I'm so sorry:(
PeteyLover

Reply with quote  #8 
Angel I can so relate to what you went thru, my experience years ago with my little Petey was similar. I had gone to the very best place I though Tufts in Mass. I have so many complaints about the care I received I don't know where to start. I may have lost my little guy eventually, but I did not have to loose him the day I did. It was because of there ignorance and he was under there care for weeks too. I've felt guilty about failing my boy for years now, but the simple truth is a lot of times we have no where to go and no one to trust besides the vets and a lot of times for whatever reasons, they fail us. We cannot all become doctors overnight for our little ones and I'm sure there are parents of human children who have the same problem. The part about your little one still being alive 8 hours after euthanasia just makes me so ANGRY and instantly turned on the tears. For that to happen on top of everything else is IGNORANCE on the vets part, plain and simple. PLEASE DO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST THIS VET AND BROADCAST IT TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE LOCALLY WHO WILL LISTEN. If just one person listens you may save a life! My heart breaks for you and for all of us who try so very hard emotionally and financially to do the best thing for the ones we love, and this happens. YOU DID NOTHING WRONG AND HAVE NOTHING TO FEEL GUILTY OVER. I know this wont help as I don't take my own advice. I know deep down even though my little Petey and I got screwed by the vets, I did everything I could, but somehow it doesn't help my heart. All you can do now if try to help save another life from the idiot vet. Hugs to you and my deepest condolences. You will see your baby again at Rainbow Bridge one day, I'm sure of it. I'd llike to think Goliath and Petey are there playing together just waiting for us. I lost another baby weeks ago, I spent thousands this time making sure what the vets told me was true before I let her go, but sometimes we just don't know.
Rachelmckenna55

Reply with quote  #9 
Wow. I am so sorry you had to go through that. It makes me so angry and sad to read your story. Goliath was a very handsome boy. I’m so sorry for your loss.
katporlas

Reply with quote  #10 
Oh my! Partangel I took Mr. Gordy to another vet I felt would have more compassion then the one that was treating him. We moved and I took him to the closest vet he wasn't very nice to Mr. Gordy. Mr. Gordy took Rimadyl for his torn acl and arthritic hip. Fortunately, he did not have heart problems, just a thyroid problem but it was ok to take this med. With his thyroid pills.
I am crushed that your baby suffered through this and his euthanasia. After all his pain he deserved to go peacefully.
I pray for peace for your pain.
Please try not feel guilty it was not your fault. I know it is hard as our babies depend on us.
Look into filing a complaint with your state's vet board.
Thinking of you.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.