Driver111
Yesterday I lost my best friend and loyal companion. He is a black and tan Dachshund. I love him so much. It was accident, I was moving a vehicle in the driveway and he went under there and I did not see him. I thought he was out in the field. He was just trying to get in with me and I did not hear him. Now he is gone. I loved him and I just cannot get over the guilt.  He loved to ride in what ever we were inRomeo.jpg just to be with us. Please help me understand why this happened.
Art
WA Woolum
Quote 0 0
camunki
Art, I am so sorry about your Dachshund..... Romeo .And you have to remember this was a tragic accident. You did not plan this, you did not want this to happen. Sometimes in life though, bad things do happen. Please do not wrack your mind with guilt, now is the time to grieve for your baby. 

A beautiful picture you show of your baby Romeo too, he loves you and always will. The next few weeks are by far the hardest to get thru and to be honest the months ahead are tough also. Feel your feelings and keep posting here and talking about your baby....it does take the alone feeling away.

Cam

Quote 0 0
Driver111
Thank you Cam, It is so hard, I want him to run in and get on my lap. I want him to be happy, I am so sorry.
WA Woolum
Quote 0 0
NormaT
Dear Art,
I'm so sorry you have lost your precious Romeo in such tragic circumstances. As Camunki says it was an accident. You would never set out to harm him and he would know that.
Try not to beat yourself with that big old guilt stick. Romeo is at peace and he knows how much you loved him.

Norma
Norma 
Quote 0 0
Driver111
Norma,
Thanks, I am working on it. It has only been a little over 24 hours now that he died, we buried him around 730 last night. Two of our sons were here and we all cried around his litttle grave. We are still hurting. I know he knew we loved him we all did. His life was only five years, but I can tell everyone here that he was one of the most loved animals I know. All our friends who visit us always enjoyed being around him and he enjoyed all of them, he was one of the best people dogs I have ever seen, everyone loved him. I am so glad that I found this site and you two have been so kind. I will keep coming and checking for a some time to come.  
Art 
WA Woolum
Quote 0 0
Driver111
It has been two and half days since my little furbaby Romeo died. I honesly know that it was an accident and my family does too. He was the such a wonderful loving little friend. He would lay on your lap for hours and everyone once in a while he would raise up and reach around and steal a kiss. He was so loved by all that new him. My wife and I still woke up this morning and grieved, we cried in each others arms missing our beloved Romeo. One of us would always get up and go down to let him out of his kennel and bed, he would be so happy to see you and want to jump into your arms for hugs and kisses, then we would let him out to do his business. While he was out, we would get his food ready and the go let him in, he would run full speed for his dish because he knew it would be ready for him. Then he would trot away from his dish to see what else was going on. Somedays my wife would go to work and I would come down later. He would greet me like always with wagging tail and skip in his step and want to be held and loved on. Which I would most always ablige. I have been home these past four months due to an accident to myself earlier in the summer. He has comforted me everyday since. I have been allowed to work from home since August and he would come and lay by feet in my office. Then he would want more and when he would see me push back from the desk, he would get up and get into my lap and we would love on each other for a bit. Then I would put him down and he would trot off into the other rooms for a while, but he always came back to check on me and get some attention which I loved to give. I will so miss my little buddy. I hope that some day I can forgive myself for not keeping a better eye that day. I hope he knows I didn't mean to hurt him and that I loved him so very much.

Dear Romeo please forgive me and know that I loved you and miss you so much. Your loving caregiver and friend, Art.
WA Woolum
Quote 0 0
Driver111
It has been two and half days since my little furbaby Romeo died. I honesly know that it was an accident and my family does too. He was the such a wonderful loving little friend. He would lay on your lap for hours and everyone once in a while he would raise up and reach around and steal a kiss. He was so loved by all that new him. My wife and I still woke up this morning and grieved, we cried in each others arms missing our beloved Romeo. One of us would always get up and go down to let him out of his kennel and bed, he would be so happy to see you and want to jump into your arms for hugs and kisses, then we would let him out to do his business. While he was out, we would get his food ready and the go let him in, he would run full speed for his dish because he knew it would be ready for him. Then he would trot away from his dish to see what else was going on. Somedays my wife would go to work and I would come down later. He would greet me like always with wagging tail and skip in his step and want to be held and loved on. Which I would most always ablige. I have been home these past four months due to an accident to myself earlier in the summer. He has comforted me everyday since. I have been allowed to work from home since August and he would come and lay by feet in my office. Then he would want more and when he would see me push back from the desk, he would get up and get into my lap and we would love on each other for a bit. Then I would put him down and he would trot off into the other rooms for a while, but he always came back to check on me and get some attention which I loved to give. I will so miss my little buddy. I hope that some day I can forgive myself for not keeping a better eye that day. I hope he knows I didn't mean to hurt him and that I loved him so very much.

Dear Romeo please forgive me and know that I loved you and miss you so much. Your loving caregiver and friend, Art.
WA Woolum
Quote 0 0
Lenegal
His loss is so very shocking to you. It's not your fault. You meant no harm to your baby. You loved your baby. Romeo is not blaming you at all. He's at peace.
I do have to say this. No matter how our babies leave us, there is always one common emotion; guilt.
We all feel like we didn't do enough, we didn't try enough and we should have been there more often.
I had to say goodbye to the love of my life dog, Jake, an Italian Greyhound, in July. He was old and very sick, and for the first time I stayed in the room (I've had to have a few sick pets euthanized but never had the guts to stay while they passed) as the vet gently helped him leave this earth. All I could think of for a while was that I murdered him. I didn't. I didn't have a choice. He was so sick.

It's going to take a while for the guilt to leave because it's a part of the grieving process. I am not going to lie to you, grieving for our pets is absolutely heart wrenching. Take care of yourself, be gentle on yourself.
Quote 0 0